PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chinese food

Options

Comments

• focus888
    focus888 Posts: 1,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey KwaiChi,

I just wanted to know is there any different way you can make instant noodles so its more of a stir fry and fried noodle dish? like what ingredients or sauces would you use to make it taste better? thanks :)
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    KwaiChi

Where can I buy pancakes for duck in the Redhill or Crawley area?

Got some in Waitrose today 99p for 10 & they are fridge ones, so don't last long.
  • kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Sammz wrote: »
    Wow, what a great thread :) I've tried to make Singapore Noodles a few times but can never get it like the takeaway. Hope you can help!

Singapore Rice Noodles are a classic dish that's served all over Asia with different variations. This spicy dish is really easy to make. Just prepare all the ingredients beforehand and it's just like cooking a chow mein dish.

SINGAPORE RICE NOODLES

First off grab 2 portions of dried rice noodles (vermicelli about 200g) and soak in kettle boiled water. Check on it every 20 seconds and shake with some chopsticks to see if has gone soft. When it's gone soft drain in a strainer and leave while you prepare the mix.

Prepare the following mix:

2 tablespoons of curry powder mixed into 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
    50g of shrimps (peeled and gutted)
    50g of sliced Char Siu pork
    50g of sliced chicken thigh fillet
    1 finely chopped garlic clove
    2 fresh birds eye chili peppers
    1 finely sliced sweet orange pepper
    1 tablespoon of soy sauce (Kikoman C00039)

Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and throw in 2 large beaten eggs.
    Add the mix and stir for 2 minutes.
    Add the noodles and drizzle a further 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (Kikoman C00039) on top.
    Stir fry for another minute making sure the mix has infiltrated the noodles. Add more sesame oil if not.

Serve and enjoy a classic :)
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • kwaichi
    Options
    Wow just found this thread thanks so much Mrs E and Kwai chi.:j

Id third the request for battered chilli beef when you get chance.Also I once had a ginger red snapper it was lovely ,I realise this is not on most menu s but I believe it was traditionally chinese ,if you can hazzard a guess at the recipie.:D

Welcome to MSE i have a feeling you ll be a favourite.
    PP

There aren't usually too many variations in Chinese fish dishes - usually just a substitute of fish. Here's a recipe that I would usually make with Seabass.

GINGER RED SNAPPER

Place the snapper on a plate laced with a teaspoon of peanut oil and pop into a bamboo steamer.

In a wok heat up 2 tablespoons of peanut oil and then pop in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (kikoman C00039), strips of ginger (as much as you like according to taste) and 1 chopped spring onion.

When the fish changes colour and is white throughout, drain and serve onto a warmed plate. Add the hot ginger mix on top of the fish.

Very simple and very delicious!

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi
    Options
    vervin wrote: »
    OH -will you be my best friend , please!!!!!!!!!!

I'll consider it lol :)

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi
    Options
    dee72 wrote: »
    Hi just found this thread and thought and after me and my mate have tried to google to no avail the recipe repeatedly i thought i would post on the hope that you may know.
    we go to a chinese all you can eat resteraunt and love coconut balls. they are basically battered coconut if this helps we have tried all sorts to try to recreat at home to no avail.
    heres hoping you may have some ideas:o

Do you mean like these coconut balls? or something else?
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi
    edited 15 April 2009 at 11:10AM
    Options
    mandi wrote: »
    Yes Brillaint thread , thank you both :T
    Love this thread, love it.. love it LOVE ITTT

Thank you very much for supporting this thread :)

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • nettles77
    nettles77 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Hi would you have a recipe for Kung po as my OH loves it. This thread is a great idea, Thanks a million.
  • nettles77
    nettles77 Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Or hot and sour. Thanks.
  • kwaichi
    Options
    Hi,

Can you tell me how to make the gorgeous gravy? Its what's missing from all my attempts at noodle dishes for OH :(

Also, can you help with the savoury porridge-type meal we had when we were in Shang Hi? It was lovely, but I'm not sure if it was just a regional thing?

All of these recipes are wonderful, thank you for all the time you've taken to post them. You're going to be a real hit around here!!

Thanks in advance,

PGxx

The gravy is usually just a simple bisto type chicken stock job mixed with a little soy sauce.

The porridge type meal sounds like 'jook' which is congee in english I think. There are many variations of congee and is a very old dish eaten in the old days by poor chinese people as it is cheap to make.

Basically what makes it porridge like, is just long grain rice that has been overboiled. You can use leftover boiled rice to make this too. As it is such a simple dish and it is easily consumed it is often served to ill people too.

The following recipe is for the most famous congee dish which uses a thousand year old egg (it's a marinated hard boiled egg). Unless you want to wait 100 days for your egg to marinate, just buy it in your local Chinese supermarket.

1000 YEAR OLD EGG CONGEE

Get a cup of rinsed long grain rice and put in a large pot with 1.5 litres of water.
    Boil for 30 minutes with the lid on then add 2 eggs halved then quartered.
    Add 1 chopped and halved leek then simmer for a further 10 minutes.
    Add 1 tablespoons of soy sauce (kikoman C00039) or more to taste.

You can finish with a sprinkle of chopped spring onion and some chopped dough sticks (available from Chinese bakeries)

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills