PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Chinese food

Options

Comments

• kwaichi
    kwaichi Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    cuca wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the recipes. Do you have a recipe for Shanghai Steak please. I live in SA and our little chinese take away where we used to live sold this and it was so delicious. Whilst we lived in UK we were never able to find a chinese take away or restuarant that made this. I am not sure if it is just renamed as something else? Its beef strips (they are so tender) in a sauce along with peas, mushrooms, onions - but I cannot tell what the sauce is??

Thank you so much, I feel a nice chinese evening coming up :T

Is it this dish?. I've never heard of it myself otherwise. If it is it is very similar to the beef mix in my BEEF HO FUN recipe

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
    Professional Video blogger
  • kwaichi
    Options
    MrsE wrote: »
    More fab posts from you:j:j:j:j:j

I need a new wok, I have a tefal stirfry pan.

I rate both le creuset & circulon. I have le crueset for my oven dishs & circulon for my bakeware.

I have a glass hob.

Would like a large one for plenty of stiring room:D

Are both as good as each other?

I own a lot of Circulon pans and woks and they are great!

The Le Creuset pans look great though and I would buy them if I had the money :) Oh yeah they're great to cook in - very heavy duty.

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi
    Options
    Thank you,:j Thank you,:j Thank you...:j

Having been Chinese in a previous life (Singaporen I believe :eek:) I have a very Chinese stomach. Two questions please:

1. Why is the Sweet and Sour sauce in Take Away's such a bright red colour?:o

2. In the USA I just love Moo shui Pork....why don't we have it here in the UK?????:cool:

Sweet and sour can be bright red due to high orange content mixed with hot sugar. However it's more likely to be colouring.

Moo Shu Pork is a mutation of an old dish from northern China and was invented in America and has never made it over here. I've had it in places like Germany though so it is around :)

It's simply a shredded pork chop stir fry with chinese mushrooms.

MOO SHU PORK

Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of peanut oil.
    Add 2 beaten eggs and scramble in the wok.
    Add the following:

1 handful of chinese mushrooms (rehydrated dried mushrooms or fresh)
    1 tablespoon of finely chopped ginger
    2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon of soy sauce (kikoman C00039)
    1 tablespoon of rice wine
    200g of pork chop strips

Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes and your done!

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi
    Options
    Drea wrote: »
    Would you have a recipe for Kung Po Chicken? :D

Kung Po chicken is a Szechuan delicacy and dates back centuries.

KUNG PO CHICKEN

Prepare 200g of chicken strips by marinating in:
    1 teaspoon of cornflour
    1 beaten egg
    1 teaspoon of soy sauce
    1 teaspoon of sesame oil

Heat up 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a wok and then add a handful of raw cashewnuts.
    Fry until brown and then add the chicken strips (without the excess marinade)
    Add 1 tablespoon of rice wine, 2 tablespoons of peppercorns and 2 chopped birds eye chillis.

Stir fry for another 2 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • kwaichi
    Options
    Gunna wrote: »
    Thanks so much for posting the recipes they are super !!!

I can finally have a go at making crispy shredded beef for my OH he loves it but our local doesn't do it :(

Thanks also for the foo yung recipe(super yum) and the chow mein recipes they look so easy to do and sound yummy lol.

Think i will have to go shopping and stock up on some essentials and have a chinese week of making stuff haha.
    Also thanks for the wok advice, i need to get a new one and never have a lcue what i need etc.... :)

I'm glad i could help :)

Kwai
    Kwai Chi
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you so much for the recipes - great!!

Just a quick question though - where can I get cornstarch to make the crispy shredded beef? Is that the same as cornflour?
  • Drea
    Drea Posts: 9,892 Forumite
    Options
    kwaichi wrote: »
    Kung Po chicken is a Szechuan delicacy and dates back centuries.

KUNG PO CHICKEN

Prepare 200g of chicken strips by marinating in:
    1 teaspoon of cornflour
    1 beaten egg
    1 teaspoon of soy sauce
    1 teaspoon of sesame oil

Heat up 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a wok and then add a handful of raw cashewnuts.
    Fry until brown and then add the chicken strips (without the excess marinade)
    Add 1 tablespoon of rice wine, 2 tablespoons of peppercorns and 2 chopped birds eye chillis.

Stir fry for another 2 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.

Kwai

Thank you so much :D

Doesn't seem too difficult :)
    Just because you made a mistake doesn't mean you are a mistake.
  • emski1234
    emski1234 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    What a brilliant thread! Thanks so much for all these recipes. I am so so pleased you mentioned Ho Fun noodles. I used to go to a restaurant and always have singapore ho fun, as I absolutely loved it, but its not there anymore and I've tried so many takeaways and restaurants and nowhere ever has Ho Fun. I was starting to think I dreamt it!! Do you know of anywhere I could buy them? I've looked online, but never found anything. I don't have a Chinese supermarket anywhere in my local area, just a Thai one.
    Thanks again!
  • dee72_2
    dee72_2 Posts: 196 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2009 at 1:43PM
    Options
    kwaichi wrote: »
    Do you mean like these coconut balls? or something else?
    no sorry they served hot on mains buffet its like a hot soft coconut fondant (ie not desicated coconut prob some sort thickened coconut milk)coated with same batter they do the chicken balls in at a guess

hope this makes sense

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newyork808/2627942937/in/pool-eat-toronto/ looks like this but different filling is nearest i can find
    New year resolution give up smoking. gave up 1/1/10 at 2pm
    lasted so far
    :j
  • debtworrier
    debtworrier Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Just wanted to post and say thanks for all the recipes - what a fabulous thread!

You are a star, Kwai! :A

Hmmm, now what shall I make tonight....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family