Ebico for gas and electricity

in Energy
39 replies 14.7K views
suzyqsuzyq Forumite
187 Posts
I am thinking of changing my gas/electric supplier does anyone use ebico(equipower and equigas) for their energy supply. I keep trying to telephone them to see if they do capped rates or if there are any price rises on the way.
They only have telephone support between 9am and 1pm and their phone lines are continually engaged. https://www.ebico.co.uk

Replies

• caveat_emptorcaveat_emptor Forumite
    732 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ebico's front page says it all. Their principles are entirely consistent with the Christian Gospel and prices are skewed in favour of energy users on lower incomes. This means that they won't be the lowest cost for everyone.
    When I signed up with Ebico I found that Southern Electric was my supplier and did the billing. I also found that my Ebico tariffs were higher than the equivalent Southern Electric so I switched. But if you believe in their principles, sign up.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • matrix999matrix999 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Been with Ebico through Scottish Hydo Electric have found them very good. Switching was easy and I was kept up to date with everything.
  • dcdc Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Ebico have one price per kilowatt for gas ( 7.95p/kW ) and one for't lectric (1.943p/kW )

Benefits low users as there is no standing charge or high cost for first 100 units or so (which is in effect a standing charge if you use more than these :rolleyes2 )

dc
    ac's lovechild
  • blu_3blu_3 Forumite
    16 Posts
    prices are skewed in favour of energy users on lower incomes.
    They are in favour of people with pre-payment card meters no matter if you are on a low income or not. Also as long as you have a modern pre-payment card meter as the old ones have a daily/weekly standing charge. Most people that use pre-payment card meters are on Economy 7. But this still does not mean those on Economy 7 and have also pre-payment card meter will get lower bills. As Economy 7 is very expensive to run.
  • NicholasNicholas Forumite
    629 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Ebico's front page says it all. Their principles are entirely consistent with the Christian Gospel and prices are skewed in favour of energy users on lower incomes. This means that they won't be the lowest cost for everyone.
    When I signed up with Ebico I found that Southern Electric was my supplier and did the billing. I also found that my Ebico tariffs were higher than the equivalent Southern Electric so I switched. But if you believe in their principles, sign up.

As a matter of interest, which Southern Electric tariff was cheaper for you? I normally may by direct debit but Ebico was still by far the cheapest for me. I live in the south west and pay 8.34p for electric and I reckon that £17 a month covers my electric. Am I missing something?

For higher energy users, I know there comes a point with paying the "standing charge" and lower cost per unit you will eventually equal Ebico's prices, and then drop below. Are you a very high user?
  • I would also be interested as my husband signed us over to Ebico after a lot of research about 5-6 months ago and found them to be the cheapest even though we pay by direct debit. As he works for NPower in sales he is constantly checking the prices of all the suppliers and he still reckons they are the cheapest. We're in the Northeast. Also because it is the same rate regardless we now pay by repayment method when the bill comes thus saving a few more pennies in interest by them not having our money upfront.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • silvertoessilvertoes Forumite
    219 Posts
    Nicholas wrote:
    As a matter of interest, which Southern Electric tariff was cheaper for you? I normally may by direct debit but Ebico was still by far the cheapest for me. I live in the south west and pay 8.34p for electric and I reckon that £17 a month covers my electric. Am I missing something?

For higher energy users, I know there comes a point with paying the "standing charge" and lower cost per unit you will eventually equal Ebico's prices, and then drop below. Are you a very high user?

I was with Ebico and live in the south west. Southern Electric have a special tariff - Energy care plus for those on low incomes, benefits or DLA. This is 20% less than its lowest tariff and beats Ebico hands down.
    You also get a voucher for a fride freezer for £50 and energy saving lightbulbs free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am in the process of switching from BG amd Powergen to Ebico. They sent me a welcome card and everything is running smoothly so far. I am going to pay by DD. They seem to be cheaper than anyone else, but of course I'll give it a few months before singing victory. I am in London. What number are you calling? Try 0800 117116.
  • NicholasNicholas Forumite
    629 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    silvertoes wrote:
    I was with Ebico and live in the south west. Southern Electric have a special tariff - Energy care plus for those on low incomes, benefits or DLA. This is 20% less than its lowest tariff and beats Ebico hands down.
    You also get a voucher for a fride freezer for £50 and energy saving lightbulbs free.

Can't say I noticed this tariff on their website. (Not that I would qualify):confused:
  • caveat_emptorcaveat_emptor Forumite
    732 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Nicholas wrote:
    As a matter of interest, which Southern Electric tariff was cheaper for you?
    This was about a year ago and I switched to Southern Electric Standard Gas and Electricity no Standing Charge which were quite a bit cheaper than Ebico tariff. I hadn't realised when I signed up to Ebico that they were an agent not a supplier until I got a letter from SE.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides