Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    they the Seller, would of seen the poop about as well...

If the house was furnished, might not be so easy , how many of us have moved something large and discovered mouse droppings.

As I said , you have to prove he knew .
    Even prove he lied , if you had asked him about rodent problems.
  • verytired
    verytired Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    If everything goes south, don't be afraid to make the fact the house had an infestation public (or at least threaten to), embaressment is a great tool in getting people to sort out problems :)
  • Lexy365
    Lexy365 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Will do 'verytired' - checking with Lawyer as well now!
    Thanks for replies:T
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mice problem again, managed to get rid of them before by using traps.
    however, now they wont come anywhere near trap. have used peanut butter, chocolate, cheese, bread.
    have seen them running around and squeaking,
    have washed traps well, left them outside in fresh air,
    no luck, they even do not come near the brand new ones.
    do not want to use poison.
    am really desperate as, i do not want them to multiply
    any help, advice greatly appreciated.
    Nice to save.
  • jenand_2
    jenand_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 May 2010 at 3:19PM
    Options
    Hi carrie, I was interested to know since Nov 09 you called in men from pestremovals.co.uk are you still mice free? The reason is, I have always had mice problems and every 3-4 months for several years I see an inflect on mice. I have tried everything, I spent a large amount of money on varous pest solutions, from the plug ins, glue paper, poison etc. As a last resort I saw 'Pestremovals' at £230 for a 3 bed house. Despite the cost I thought if finally I get rid of the mice I would pay it. Anyway, he first came in April 10, a few days no new droppings as we previously had got rid of about 8 on glue paper. I thought great it worked. however, I would wait for the next breading. By the next week, droppings started and daily new droppings. Caught anothor 2 on glue paper in between the pest man visits. He was also trying to convince me I had not seen any mice, despite me challenging him twice to come and see new droppings plus the dead mouse in my bin, which he declined. I just wanted to know if you had success or not as I will be writing a review as the man had been very rude in the end, trying to tell me I was making it all up, I await your reply.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    still got the mice!!!!
    any ideas welcome on how to get rid of em....please
    pest control says they will charge us £60 for 3 visits, dont mind paying this, but i know few weeks down the line , we will have same problem again.
    as we have used pest control before, and they just come and put down poison, which i feel i could do myself.
    any info about poison , types , way to use it etc would be most welcome
    thanks
    Nice to save.
  • hc25036
    hc25036 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    We've had a big problem with rats in our back garden - mainly down to easy availability of bird food and rabbit food. Mostly sorted by our local pest controller, but at the final visit he noticed tunnels leading under the back of the extension - going through the 4-inch wide gravel bed between the wall and the paving slabs. The damp-proof course is about 3 bricks up and he suggested concreting in the gap to stop the problem coming back.

I'd prefer something like heavy pebbles rather than concrete - any ideas if that is likely to keep the bu88ers out? Any other suggestions? We will keep putting bait down and will buy a couple of traps to help as well.

No- I don't have a gun and would worry about collateral damage to the rabbits if I did!!
  • 1984ReturnsForReal_2
    Options
    Put concrete down & pebbles over the top.....

Problem solved.
    Not Again
  • londoner1998
    Options
    Not sure whether this is the place for my post, but here we go...(sorry I need to explain the situation)

We live i a garden flat and in the past two years and a half we have had the ocassional visit of mice. We laid down traps and they normally got caught. THey seem to enter through some little hole in the kitchen, under the cooker. Not a huge problem. However...on Sunday, I was sitting happily by myself when one little, tiny mouse strolled in, going as far as the living room, doing a little tour and going back to the kitchen. It had triggered traps, but escaped them. This was Sunday- it was only last night we managed to catch it, but this was after two hours of watching it, re-setting traps, and seeing how it licked the peanut butter but then went away... only to return for more...We even put a cashew nut for it to climb on top, but only when my OH pushed it and triggered the trap we managed to catch it- by the tail- OH then had to finish it off.
    Now, I am completely petrified that mice can do this and I am wondering what the best solution it- we can' t really seal wherever they are coming from, because we can't move the kitchen (it must be there), and we have set up traps, but it they escape them when they are little...we have one with poison, but I don't want mice to die in hidden places )besides, tis one didn't touch it overnight)
    Any suggestions as to what type of trap will really work with every size of mice? I have also mopped the floor with peppermint oil, as I read they don't like it... does anybody know whether this works?

Suggestions, please! We are going on holiday and we don't want visitors when we return...
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 August 2010 at 9:23PM
    Options
    Is anything attracting them? food left out, fruit in open bowls, etc?

If so, put everything in Tupperware or similar, and tuck it away.

We've used the live capture traps in the past, then taking the mice a couple of miles away to release them so they don't find their way back in, and plugged the gap in the skirting where they were getting in.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback