Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• mr-mr_2
    mr-mr_2 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone that is having problems with rats in places where you cannot use poisons, such as food factories and farms I would suggest these guys-

http://www.combatrats.co.uk/

They will come and humainly shoot your rats.

This website does not work.
  • mr-mr_2
    Options
    dellboy102 wrote: »
    Hi, ok I definitely will get back to you, I know exactly how you feel :)

I've used it for about 20 days and so far I haven't seen any mice, I'll have to ask around the house when everyone gets back if they've seen any but so far I think its been working.

I'm not 100% because last time we had mice we caught about 3 and thought they were all gone but 3 weeks later we spotted some more, not sure if these were a new batch or the same ones.

Will post an update surely, I too am eager to find out because my 30 day money back warranty will expire

Edit - Whoops, guess my money back warranty has already expired!

Did it work?
  • mr-mr_2
    Options
    dellboy102 wrote: »
    Quick update, I've asked everyone in the house and no one has spotted a mouse or heard anything since we've used the primrose one so I think it may actually be working!.

For those who buy it please post your experiences in this thread.

I have just bought this - will post my feedback here after use.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a rodent problem, I live in a Victorian house, so loads of gaps, spaces & holes etc. I've stuck wirw wool in lots of the gaps. I have a plug in deterrant thing that I think works as some kind of disco system for them. I've tried humane traps with no results.
    I see them (mice)evenings, in every room downstrairs. Last week I found chewed up cardboard under my bed. I think that they're probably under the floorboards as my westie is trying to dig up the floorboards. I don't have carpets anywhere just exposed boards, what should I seal the gaps with?
    I can't see that I will ever be able to block every hole, to stop them coming in. I don't want to posion them, apart from the dog getting poisoned corpses I couldn't stand the thought of them suffering.
    For the last few days there's a smell of rotting oranges in my lounge, I don't eat oranges, is there any chance that they're bringing a picnic with them? Or could this smell be something else?
    We have large back gardens, every house in my terrace inclouding mine has a large area of garden that slopes so has been left & is really overgrown, lots of the neighbours use this to dump grass & hedge cuttings etc.
    We're also only a few hundred yards from a railway line.
    I saw rats last week on my wall about 3 foot from my open door.
    Any suggestions please on what I can do to rid the house of them. I know that I'm going to have to kill them, are the old fashioned wooden traps best & is it a quick kill? I have read up on the internet but there's so much conflicting advice. One thing that is the same on all sites is, get rid of the trap with the dead mouse as the others will smell it & avoid it. There are some ebay sellers who sell them pretty cheaply.
    Does mothballs, tea tree oil, peppermint oil or anything like that deter them? I'm going to get lots of mint plants as I have read they don't like it.
    I've bought loads of storage tins & containers so that everything can be sealed up. I throw away any dog food left in her bowl before bed. Her food is kept in a metal lined tall pedal bin.
    I apologise for the long post.
    Any sensible advice much appreciated.
    Thank you
  • *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Omg. I found 4 mice living like behind my breadbin! It was horrible HORRIBLE. One got stuck in a box of cereal, I saw one in the toaster. Anyway. We set the humane trap and caught 2 that way, we caught another 4 using inhumane ones, and we saw mouse poo on the microwave the other day, so had to reset them all, but no go yet, though the food is no longer on the inhumane trap (I guess it's not heavy enough to set it off?) So we've resorted to posion. Hope they go soon.

This was over the period of maybe 9mths btw. There's an open wall behind our cupboard under the sink where we think they are getting through. I hate the landlords, they've not done ANYTHING. No sign of them for a few days now (or it).
  • sberenyi
    Options
    People often think that rat control is just a case of putting down a trap or even a little bit of super market rat bait and in some cases that's all you need to knock down a couple of rats. If you are having consistent problems though, you should try a local pest control operator. The local authority can probably do it cheaply or even free, however you often have to wait for this service and by contrast a private pest control operator should be able to visit the same day. Also it is worth considering if your rats are in the loft they may be getting in via plants or trees, leaning or growing against the house. Faulty drains are another common cause and a video inspection will often show damaged or redundant pipes where rats have burrowed to the surface under your home. A great free site for rat control advice is the .co.uk site getridofrats.
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    Can they eat in one place and live in another.
    I have found evidence of shredded paper and have found they have tried to nibble my sofa but they have totally ignored the smartie that was under the sofa. I still hear it occasionally but am not seeing it. None of my food is being touched, for example my bread is on the side and so too are my breakfast cereals but I have not so much as a corner gone from either.

Could they be living in mine but feeding elsewhere. We had old communial heating ducts connecting all the flats and I guess that is where they are and they have free run of all the homes in the block. None of my traps have been activated and I have snap traps and humane ones.
    Never ever leave food around, the older mice will rip cardboard to get cereals,you are actually feeding them to keep them alive! I get mice occasionally and I have no qualms about hoover them up, they are rodents and not a healthy thing to have in your home!
    You live..You learn.:)
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mother has a Rat is getting into her kitchen cupboards.

She lives in a lovely country bungalow with a brook in the garden, so infestations are pretty inevitable really. She has coped with mice in the past, and got rid.

My bro-in-law has been round trying to block up any entrance holes, but I would like to get her a sonic repeller thingy. Lots for sale on Amazon, but the reveiws tend to suggest they don't work.

Do any work at all? If you have experience of one that works against rats, please could you post the details of it on here. I'm happy to spend money on one that actually has proven results.

BTW I know the best deterrent would be a jack-russell, or a cat, but at 80 mother doesn't feel inclined to take on a new responsibilty, unfortunately.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 October 2010 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Rats will always be around and can never be eliminated entirely because they always come back given a chance. There are rats that get into my garden and in the neighbours gardens and the pest control officer has visited on a few occasions and killed them with poison but after some months they are back again. They have always been outside and I have never given them a chance to get into my home, I did see one early one morning and took a spade in my hand ready to wack him if I got a chance.

Keeping them out of the house is important because they are not the cleanest of creatures so making sure there are no entrances is the most important thing. You say that your Brother in law has attempted to seal any entrance holes so I hope he has been successful. Make sure it is permanent and cannot be easily gnawed through.

I haven't tried ultra sonic repellents so cannot advise on them. Leaving some poison outside might help to prevent them getting back in.

A song by UB40 seems relevant
      There`s A Rat In Me Kitchen What Am I Gonna Do? There`s A Rat In Me Kitchen What Am I Gonna Go? I`m Gonna Fix That Rat Thats What I`m Gonna Do, I`m Gonna Fix That Rat. [........ and bash it with a shovel is what I'm gonna do :D]
  • rich_jtg
    rich_jtg Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Although I can't recommend a specific repellent, look for one that uses electromagnetic waves as well as ultrasonic.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback