Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• lday77
    lday77 Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    My o/h has just gone round to tell them and they said the already knew! But there is still bird food out :mad:
    Murphy's No More Pies Member No. 28 on hold
  • trinnylilac
    trinnylilac Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    After discovering a rogue mouse in the house two weeks ago it seems he has moved in the whole family and they have managed to get into 4 kitchen cupboards through tiny holes.

Does anyone know the best way to get rid of them without having to call in a pest control company.

Getting desperate as having to store all food out on the worktops.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The best option is a cat!

Other than that head to any DIY store and you'll find a selection of mice traps from humane to lethal (poision). Keep 'em away from kids!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello trinnylilac

I'll move your thread to the 'In my home' board, then merge it with an existing thread. Don't panic, just read back through the posts for lots of advice on how to evict your unwelcome tenants.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • trinnylilac
    trinnylilac Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    I love cats but we live on a busy road and I couldn't bare having one run over. Can anyone suggest a type of poison to use and how quickly does it take to work.
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    B&Q do an own brand one - about a fiver for 2. they are a plastic box with a bit of poison already inside (the wrapper has a picture of a very cute mouse peeping out of one...not the most sensitive choice, i thought).
    they are very very easy to use as all you do is put one down in a suitaboe (out of the way) place.
    worked for us the first day.
  • quietly
    quietly Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe not the most informative information, but living in the country we get lots of little visitors. We had one of the electronic controls out in the utility room and it worked great. How do we know? When it died after Christmas (had it 3 yrs) we came home one weekend to the tell-tale signs that there had been visitors around the water drain & general appliances out there--fortunately it is quite separate from our kitchen!

Anyway, we had to put out the rat poison (B&Q pellets) for a couple of weeks (we're only home weekends currently) and then bought a new electronic device at Maplins. Voila! The rats are gone!!

Good luck to you!
  • bob_regis
    bob_regis Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers for all the advice here.

The rat poison was put down for about a week and we have finally got rid of them.

Incidentally I did buy some mouse traps from Robert Dyas for about £4. They are the old fashioned ones from Tom & Jerry. Never really got to use them properly but they are pretty lethal and look quite effective.

Bob.
  • jenniferpa
    jenniferpa Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    renegade wrote:
    hi I am often subjected to invasions of this sort ( from unused allotment back of house). My council charge #20.00, it had no effect whatsoever, but I did get a good tip from the man who put the poison down, keep all water out of their reach, they will die quickly from thirst then you can easily dispose of them in the wheelie bin, all for free! This has worked for me every time. Good Luck9 to you not the vermin)lol

This will work for rats but not mice. Mice do not need available water - they can get all the moisture that they need from the food they eat.

Jennifer
  • apogee
    apogee Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've found a traditional mousetrap with a dollop of peanut butter to be a deadly combination.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback