Can this be right

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
31 replies 2.1K views
jaxjax123jaxjax123 Forumite
1.1K posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Consumer Rights
I bought a laptop on 19th March 2009 which worked fine when I received it. On 26th March the Laptop started to malfunction. When you typed, the letters wouldn’t work only the vowels with accents would work. Then on the 27th March the icons started not to work.
On Monday the 30th March I called Argos customer services who gave me Fujitsu tech line. I called them and told them the problem they said windows was not working properly and that because that model doesn’t come with a disk I needed to get a copy of windows Vista.
I then phoned Argos customer services expecting them to say it could be exchanged or replaced only to be told to my surprise to go out and buy windows vista!
Can they do this or have I got a right to have it replaced. They told me because I didn't make a recovery disk when I first started up the laptop I am liable so they will not take it back and say I either need to buy a new laptop or vista.

Replies

• I'm sure someone cleverer than me will come along in a minute but that sounds like absolute rubbish. The laptop is not fit for purpose so they should arrange for it to be fixed or exchanged. Go back to Argos and kick up a fuss.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • Freddie_SnowbitsFreddie_Snowbits
    4.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There may be a recovery disk that has to be made, Normally this will be on the start menu/All Programs/ PC Tools or aomething similar. You may require a DVD to record this to and keep it safe.

Mods, move this to the techie slot so the geeks can get their teeth into it.
  • Debt_Free_ChickDebt_Free_Chick Forumite
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These situations are always difficult.

It's not clear you can claim that the laptop is "not fit for purpose" as there appears to be nothing wrong with the hardware. On the face of it, it's the software - but, yes - that was also supplied by Argos.

Software can normally be fixed by a simple repair or reinstall - but in your case, you don't have the disc. Argos have a case if you should have created a recovery disc, but opted not to do so.

You need to read the documents supplied at the time. If that suggested that you create a recovery disc, but you didn't - then I think you're stuffed as you effectively ignored the instructions supplied.

Hang around for answers though
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • What kind of websites did you visit between 19/03 and 26/03? It could be a problem between the keyboard and the chair. Did you get the laptop for work or pleasure? Uh, I mean leisure.
  • jaxjax123jaxjax123 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    These situations are always difficult.

It's not clear you can claim that the laptop is "not fit for purpose" as there appears to be nothing wrong with the hardware. On the face of it, it's the software - but, yes - that was also supplied by Argos.

Software can normally be fixed by a simple repair or reinstall - but in your case, you don't have the disc. Argos have a case if you should have created a recovery disc, but opted not to do so.

You need to read the documents supplied at the time. If that suggested that you create a recovery disc, but you didn't - then I think you're stuffed as you effectively ignored the instructions supplied.

Hang around for answers though

Thanks
    I have just looked through all the gump that he got his the laptop and he had a safety leaflet one with help desk numbers and a get started book which had no instructions just pictures showing you where to put the cables. No where does it say about a recovery disc he is a novice with computers and thought you could just put it on and away you go.
  • isplummisplumm Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Have you tried a system restore back to before the date in question?

If you go to Programs / Accessories / System Tools - you should see an option for System Restore ... once selected you may need to allow the program to continue ... I think Windows may put up a window requesting permission for the program to contine - click ok.

You should then get a box with two options - select bottom option - select own date .... then press NEXT - then select date you require ... assume beforer issue .... then click ok & wait --- see if it works ... although I would have expected the techni line to have tried this ....:confused:

Of course this is assuming you have Vista?

Hope that helps.

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • Most New laptops come with a recovery partition.

On my Acer you can recover it from a program which is on the desktop called Erecovery.

You can also boot into recovery mode from some laptops by pressing a certain key combination when you boot up.

If you post the model on here I might be able to help ;)
  • jaxjax123jaxjax123 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Most New laptops come with a recovery partition.

On my Acer you can recover it from a program which is on the desktop called Erecovery.

You can also boot into recovery mode from some laptops by pressing a certain key combination when you boot up.

If you post the model on here I might be able to help ;)
    Thanks it is a Fujitsu business notebook.
  • TozerTozer Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a techie issue. The laptop was 7 days old when the fault started and clearly still has a fault.

OP - you are entitled to reject the item and get a replacement or refund.
  • smcaulsmcaul Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Personally I would call Argos back up and tell them that due to the issues with the keyboard this prevented you making the required backups, play them at their own game!!

Very few laptops now came with recovery disks (dell seem to though!!), even fewer come with instructions of any type to tell you to make a backup.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support