Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• nerdycatlover
    Options
    Mercy wrote: »
    Poo! Just lost a big post. Praps as well.

Had a shock at weekend when my old cat Newton made a dodgy leap and hit me instead of the wall. Saw him hit the stone steps on his back and imagined the worst :(

Mx

Hi Mercy,
    Sorry to hear about yr cat..:eek:
    You say he`s got a fat lip.I guess you checked he didn`t damage a tooth, or cut the inside of his lip,as sometimes they can get a nasty infection .Their mouths are notoriously germ-laden. (I say this ,speaking in my capacity as an RSPCA cattery volunteer.) :rolleyes:
    :j:hello::j

• jumpingjackd
    jumpingjackd Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Options
    My weekend away (well overnight) was great. We went to see Joseph and Technicolour Dream Coat and really enjoyed it. Also enjoyed the chinese buffet and baked potato. All my good intentions flew out the door when I had my first sip of wine Im ashamed to say.
    Im looking at it like I got all my temptations out of the way on Sat and Sun, so today was a new start with 2 eggs for breakfast, cheese and pork and cabbage for dinner. Still having sugar free jelly though as I find it refreshing and it saves me nibbling.
    Sorry about your cat Mercy, hope hes ok.
    Mazzers it sounds lovely, gotta get some rasps as I really miss fruit.
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed your weekend jjack.
    I've been having sugar free jelly all through.

Sad to report no more weight loss this morning... Damn, i was on a roll too.:rotfl:
    Goes to show i was right about 28 days tho.

Personally i dont think it matters too much about the odd naughty occasion, as long as you get back on track, that's the main thing.
    Too many times i've thought 'oh well, ruined my diet' then continued to eat anythig and everything.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get him a pole for jumping around Mercy ;) ...it might be safer, lol. I take it he 'spoke' to you again at dinner time?

I'm not a cat fanatic tbh but I do have the odd occasion where I go 'Aw' iyswim. Hope his wee fat lip is better today. :)

Anyway....hiya peeps. :) Another day, another step closer to 'skinny us' (I've been reading a 'Be Positive' book.) :rotfl:

I am going to read through the recipes today and make a list of what ingredients I need to buy in order to spice my diet up a bit. OH's bike is going into the garage to get serviced and MOT done tomorrow and I need to pick him up from there then we'll go shopping. I hate shopping with a vengeance so will need to get everything done whilst he's there to help carry the bags, lol.

Weather's rubbish here again today so I think I'll need to get off my bum and burn off some calories by cleaning the house. I dont think you burn too many by just moving your fingers over a keyboard unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Ok....basic question time now......:o (you all know how good a cook I am :rotfl: ).......anyway, I need to stop buying M&S stuffed chicken breasts as I'm fed up paying loads of money for what I could probably do myself....soooooo....what do I stuff them with? :confused: I know I can put veg like green beans or leeks in etc and wrap bacon round them, but what do I use to get the sauce bit in the middle? Would just butter with garlic do or should it be more of a sauce like a cheese sauce? How do you get it to stay put in the middle? If I put a slit in the side, wont all the stuffing just fall out? (See...this is another reason why I used to like chips on an oven tray :rolleyes: )

:o I eat anything pretty much (whether it works or not and no matter what it looks like:D ) but I'm planning on giving everyone the same thing tonight so I'd like it to at least look as normal as possible.

:D I really am embarrassingly useless in the kitchen you know. I'm much more of a 'heater up' than a cook from scratch kinda gal.:rotfl:

JJ....glad you enjoyed your time away, a change is as good as a rest as they say.

sweet....I haven't had my usual cheese omelette the past few days as I'm feeling much the same way about eggs as you at the minute. However I seem to get on better when I do eat it (not as hungry later, less inclined to want other things etc) compared to when I dont so I think I'll be having it again later on this morning.

Ok guys, gotta go do boring banking stuff now so see you all later. *waves*
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    morning!

Pleased to report Newton cat has forgiven me totally and recovered his dignity. No real damage except to his pride :) Fat lip nearly gone now. I know it's a bit soft but he really is my little love. His housemate is much loved too but it's not the same as having one from a kitten.

The day is so sunny I think it'll make up for being trapped in the lab all day, at least there's windows.

Have a good one!

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Hi everyone!

Sorry i haven't been around much. Been busy laying concrete and tiles and trying to 'dig' garden which itself is like concrete after a fortnight of temperatures in the high twenties (in the shade). (Okay!Okay! Enough of throwing things at me!) :D

Nerdy, Rose Elliot has a couple of books out, one is 'The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet' and the other is the cookbook although the diet book also has recipes in it. 'Is nibs bought them for me from either e-bay or Amazon, not sure which. They help when I run out of ideas or inspiration.

Finally got round to having a cholesterol test this morning. They will also be testing for diabetes and lots of things with initials. I should receive the results by post later this week. Will let you all know how I got on.
    Congrats to all the losers! (It's one of those times when being a loser is actually good!)

Food related joke -
    I thought I had a Bee Gee in my fridge but it was only the chives talking!

LOL to all
    Vegetarian. Have cut out all high carb food. Not following any particular plan.Started 20/1/2009. Weight lost so far 29lbs. Target weight loss 38lb in total.
  • HC_2
    HC_2 Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Options
    Morning, all

Glad I wasn't the only naughty one over the weekend. :o So far, 2 1/2 pounds of the 6 I put on during those two days have fallen off. I've not quite gone back to official induction (life is miserable without a decent amount of veg) but I'm keeping carbs as low as possible and hope to have lost it all and have a trace of ketosis again in a day or two.
    Could you help me with a link for a friend? :confused: I`m after a good, sensible,easy to follow Vegetarian Low Carb Diet site or Blog.

Hi Nerdy

I'm not sure that there's an online resource but this book is the vegetarian Atkins. There's a cook book too, with loads of lovely recipes even for us meat-eaters.

aliasojo wrote: »
    Ok....basic question time now......:o (you all know how good a cook I am :rotfl: ).......anyway, I need to stop buying M&S stuffed chicken breasts as I'm fed up paying loads of money for what I could probably do myself....soooooo....what do I stuff them with? :confused: I know I can put veg like green beans or leeks in etc and wrap bacon round them, but what do I use to get the sauce bit in the middle? Would just butter with garlic do or should it be more of a sauce like a cheese sauce? How do you get it to stay put in the middle? If I put a slit in the side, wont all the stuffing just fall out? (See...this is another reason why I used to like chips on an oven tray :rolleyes: )

Aliasojo, I do a version of M&S's chicken pesto. It's not a stuffed recipe, but it's really lovely, and much cheaper than M&S! Lay chicken breasts on a bed of spinach. Cover chicken with a paste of cream cheese, double cream, pesto and grated Parmesan. Lay slices of mozzarella on top. Throw in a few cherry tomatoes. Bake for 30-40 mins.
  • sweetserendipity
    Options
    Mercy, so glad to hear Newton is on the mend. :D I'm a huge cat fan as well. :D We have been adopted by a big black tom cat & he's lovely!! :D Had 2 sisters from kittens, lost one in 2005 & her sister last year aged 16 :cry: so know exactly where you are coming from. Have a fridge magnet that says 'Cats leave pawprints on your heart' - so true.
    Anyway, good morning everyone :hello:
    Gaye, good to see you back & love the Bee Gee joke!! :rotfl:
    alias, garlic chicken is easy too - do a split in the top of a chicken breast (not all the way through!!) & squidge (cookery technical term) some garlic butter inside. You can wrap a rasher of bacon round it as well if you want to be posh!! Takes about 25-30 mins to cook at 200. I sometimes lightly cover mine with tin foil so it doesn't [STRIKE]burn[/STRIKE] cook too quickly.
    I don't think I'll post my menu until later as stuck in house again today so not sure what I'll be having.
    Happy days everyone. x
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers guys...I might do both and see what looks best. [strike]for me[/strike]. :whistle: :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had two cat also, both aged 12 from cat protection league, had since kittens but an old lady round the [STRIKE]bend[/STRIKE] corner has 'stolen' one of them and is trying to steal the other one, she means well but i am sick of telling her not to feed 'mitzi' as she's not having them both, the other one 'ginge' wont come back and even runs away from us here now.
    I contacted the cat protection and they said i should contact the police or a solicitor as she is wrong to do it.
    Did threaten her with this but she is an adamant little [STRIKE]sod[/STRIKE] lady, and said she cant feed one without the other, i cant get through to her that it is my sons cat and he loves her too and wants her here. (she has a catflap, a cozy bed by a heater and food and cat milk on tap) why cant she bl00dy adopt one of her own!!
    When mitzi was ill recently it was me who paid the vet bills though.
    So apart from keeping mitzi locked in there's not a lot i can do, did try this but she was crying to go out all time.

Sorry rant over:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport