Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 31 August 2012 at 2:13PM
    Options
    Also I like the idea of going into 'repair mode'. All will become clear if you watch the programme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM&feature=related
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• sweetserendipity
    sweetserendipity Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2012 at 6:19PM
    Options
    tesuhoha, have you seen the '5:2 Diet' thread on this Forum?? It discusses intermittent fasting & the Horizon programme. I started reading it when I was considering IF but haven't read it recently. There were some interesting links posted, including about the difference between men & women doing IF, how it can affect women's hormones etc. I think there were some posters who were LCing as well.

Just had lunch - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese & I tried marrbett's baked mushroom/onion/goats cheese (without the onion :o) on a bed of mixed salad drizzled with EVOO - lovely & full now.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tesuhoha, have you seen the '5:2 Diet' thread on this Forum?? It discusses intermittent fasting & the Horizon programme. I started reading it when I was considering IF but haven't read it recently. There were some interesting links posted, including about the difference between men & women doing IF, how it can affect women's hormones etc. I think there were some posters who were LCing as well.

Just had lunch - 2 buttered GG crispbreads with cheese & I tried marrbett's baked mushroom/onion/goats cheese (without the onion :o) - lovely & full now.

I was one of them, it's something I've did naturally in my teens and have reverted to now I'm back on LC.

Had a baaaaaad day yesterday, went to a charity gig where DS2's dad was playing with another duet and the local reggae band - huge fun - but the alcohol consumption was a tad excessive and I was actually spotted dancing on the way back from the ladies (put this in context it was upper body movement only LOL). And then we got home and I had a slab of DSD's GCSE celebration cake (2xA*, 2xA, 4xB and a C) which I'd decorated yesterday afternoon prior to her coming over to babysit. So today I feel more than a little jaded :o
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2012 at 3:25PM
    Options
    daska - don't beat yourself up, we all have off days and it was for a good reason ;)

alias - well done on the 5lb, onwards and downwards :T. Do you mind being called alias, jojo etc?

Not heard from sistercas - wonder how she is?

Jerry - glad that you are having a great day.

Minihauk - sounds like you are doing well settling back in.

tesuhoha - I don't think that I would be able to fast alternate days myself, as well as doing low carb but let us know how it goes please.

murphydog - I made your broccoli, cauliflower and cheese soup last night - very yummy.

sweet - I chop courgettes, onion, garlic, celery, a couple of baby toms and thyme and fry in a little oil. I then put on top of mushrooms (2) and then mix soft cheese with herbs and cheddar and lay as a paste on top. Cook in oven for 15 - 20mins.
    Very filling and enjoyable.

On fitday I see that I have around 1600 cals a day so more than some but still 700 - 800 less than I need. No murphydog, I am not counting calories but carbs :D

Well I am 4lb over my lowest weight since low carbing, which is not so bad. I have decided to cut back to 30g carb from tomorrow for 2 weeks and leave the chocolate for that time. I really hope that I can stick to it. I also hope to walk for 30 mins each day and continue with the press ups. If that doesn't work then I give up.

I have a funeral of a close friend on Monday and my brother is having deep brain surgery on Tuesday so may slip up but I will try. :)

Good so far today - no chocolate!!

Well done everyone :T
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Just had lunch - 2 buttered GG crispbreads

I know I know this, but I just can't remember......what is the 'GG' again?

I want to call them Gorgeous George Crispbreads but I know that's not right. :rotfl:
    SHEILA54 wrote: »

alias - well done on the 5lb, onwards and downwards :T. Do you mind being called alias, jojo etc?

Don't care really. I'm called alias (mostly here), AJ on other threads and Ali & Jo on the odd occasion too. As long as you don't spell any of my incarnations .....B.. L.. O.. B, then I don't mind what you opt for. :rotfl:

I'm tired today. Think my body is rebelling against going low carb again after eating rubbish for days. Will look out all my vitamins to see if they are still in date, lol.

Sheila...when you cook the thing with courgettes, do they go soft and squelchy? I have loads of courgettes from the garden but I don't like them much. :rotfl: I've had meals with them in and they've been soggy & squidgey. I'm not sure what to do with them.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SHEILA54 wrote: »
    I have a funeral of a close friend on Monday and my brother is having deep brain surgery on Tuesday so may slip up but I will try. :)

Oh my. Sorry to hear that.

My Mother had brain surgery and had half her forehead removed. For some reason she never opted for a plate to effect a good lifelike repair and she always had this huge dent in the front of her head from then on. Needless to say she had a side swept fringe thing going on. :D

Hope the op goes well, as I'm sure it will.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 31 August 2012 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Sheila54 - I don't think I am going to fast alternate days, maybe 5/2 ( 2 days fasting) which is what was recommended in the programme. Will let you know how I progress.

Sweetserandipity, thanks I will look out for that thread.

I started off the day with scrambled eggs, and bacon, no bread and am still going strong. I haven't felt hungry, although my stomach feels empty.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• murphydog999
    murphydog999 Posts: 1,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tesuhoha - from what you have said and explained, I think it would benefit you to come off grains completely. Unless you have a dairy intolerance as well, I would bet all the bloating/any gastric problems you suffer from will go.

Alias/Jo/AJ!! - I know what you mean about courgettes, once they get soft, not a pleasant texture! I either flash fry or griddle so they are still 'al dente', or slice thinly in salads, or grate in the mix for coleslaw. They're ok then :D

Sheila - not a good start to the week for you, fingers crossed all goes well. If you are going down to 30g, make sure your fat intake is up to scratch, and after a couple of weeks have a higher carb day. Hope you manage the chocolate drought, I couldn't!!

Another good post from JJJ, very positive, fingers crossed for your interviews next week, hopefully your positive attitude will come across. If the conversation crops up, I would mention your recent decisions, re food/fags (leave out the booze!) and the sort of exercise you take, it would certainly score points with me if I was recruiting. It shows determination, drive, and a positive outlook and those are natural skills that people look our for. It might give you the edge over someone else with equal experience - you never know. :)
  • SHEILA54
    SHEILA54 Posts: 1,813 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2012 at 6:02PM
    Options
    I chop the courgettes finely, like the onion and other veg, so they all just meld together but taste really nice. Sometimes I put a few chopped nuts on top before the cheese mixture, for texture. I also make ratatouille to go with sausages using sliced courgettes, onion, garlic and a couple of cherry toms. I fry in a tsp olive oil and they don't get really soggy. I also like this but, if you don't, just miss out the courgettes and substitute with something else. I also put courgettes, cauliflower and other veg in when I make curry. Courgettes are high in pottasium and Vitamin C.

I found this website for using vegetables on a low carb diet - maybe worth a look?
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/side_dish_recipes.html

murphydog - I can but try with the chocolate as I have been eating several squares a day, which is too much and eventually makes me feel sick. I am going away for a few days with a friend to Bournemouth in the middle of September, using some vouchers to pay for the room, so I want to try and get back on track before I go. I am hoping for reasonable weather so that I can do some walking.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    sheila just popped on to wish luck to your brother for tuesday x

i am in a dark place right now in low carb terms. its a hormonal blip i think b ut what a blip . going to a 60th birthday party tonight that is catered ,so no doubt will devour that :o

aliasjo well done on the 5lbs :j keep it up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport