John Lewis broke MY stuff on delivery!

Options

Comments

• kiki_725
    kiki_725 Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the most you will get (as said before) would be a bunch of flowers and a apology.

Maybe you could ask for a giftcard to buy a replacement figure/s (even though i know it wont mean the same)

I'm really sorry that this has happened and its a awful thing to have happen but i dont see what more JL could do.
    :starmod:Everyone's a star and deserves the right to twinkle:starmod:
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Options
    If you were expecting a large heavy item to be delivered and there were breakable highly sentimental ornaents in your home where the item would pass surely it made sense to move them before anyway?

As for expecting the cost of the bed, its totally unreasonable.

You cant put an actual price on the items and they only have your word for it as to how much they are worth as you have no invoices etc. For all John Lewis know they could have been picked up from the local market. They have already tried to repair and cant, so either a small goodwill gesture or flowers should suffice.
  • ScattyKatty84
    Options
    If you were expecting a large heavy item to be delivered and there were breakable highly sentimental ornaents in your home where the item would pass surely it made sense to move them before anyway?

You cant put an actual price on the items and they only have your word for it as to how much they are worth as you have no invoices etc. For all John Lewis know they could have been picked up from the local market. They have already tried to repair and cant, so either a small goodwill gesture or flowers should suffice.

For your information the figures were not near where the bed should have passed, the fact is the delivery man dropped a part of the bed when bringing it in.

I have never said to JL that they are worth anything, only that they meant a lot to me. I think the fact we have spend over £2000 in the last month in JL should really show that we don't need to go down markets and attempt to rip them off. Maybe one day something that means a lot to you will be broken and you will know that it's not very nice to be lied to and fobbed off. Until then I really don't hink you should be telling me what I should accept.
  • Colliefrog
    Colliefrog Posts: 602 Forumite
    Options
    For your information the figures were not near where the bed should have passed, the fact is the delivery man dropped a part of the bed when bringing it in.

If the delivery guy dropped a part of the bed, then they were in the way?
    I really don't hink you should be telling me what I should accept.

You came on here asking for advice then tell people they shouldn't be telling you what to accept!

At the end of the day the most likely outcome of this is an apology and a voucher and certainly not a refund for the bed.
  • Takoda
    Takoda Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Options

Daisy is right here OP. I know it isn't what you wanted to hear but she's talking sense.

I'm struggling to figure out what your husband is getting at by wanting you to press for a refund on the bed???

Does the bed remind you of the broken figures?

Did the bed get damaged when it hit the figures?

Why isn't your husband dealing with this? He could surely be a bit more objective because the figures weren't such a big part of his life as they were of yours.

You still have your fond memories of the old lady.
  • the_rottweiler
    Options
    I used to work in the c/s office at john lewis and I can tell you that demanding £1675 in compensation is completely unrealistic.
    Yes, they will apologise after they have done an investigation, and they do know how to catch a driver/mate out.
    I could tell you stories of customers demanding the most unreasonable things (including only white drivers cos she hsad an allergy to any other race:confused: )
  • Patrick20
    Patrick20 Posts: 754 Forumite
    Options
    parhaps a gift voucher of a a few hundred pounds to spend in their store and a sincere apology from the delivery man. thats what i would expect. Make sure they know the value of the item to you and how you are a faithful customer who will be going elsewhere unless the situation is rectified somehow. keep your hand hidden and let them make the offers. Dont push to hard though.
  • the_rottweiler
    Options
    Patrick20 wrote: »
    parhaps a gift voucher of a a few hundred pounds to spend in their store and a sincere apology from the delivery man. thats what i would expect. Make sure they know the value of the item to you and how you are a faithful customer who will be going elsewhere unless the situation is rectified somehow. keep your hand hidden and let them make the offers. Dont push to hard though.

Aint gonna happen...... I will be surprised if they get £50 voucher and flowers (that is saved for the worst screw ups)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So when I was upset that 3 things of mine I really cared about were ruined they said it was MY fault. Would anyone else really be thrilled about service like that?

No of course not. You have every right to feel aggrieved, I would be too. Just don't let your upset feelings colour your good judgement.

I think the fact we have spend over £2000 in the last month in JL should really show that we don't need to go down markets and attempt to rip them off.

Sorry but this really is irrelevent to the matter in hand.

Maybe one day something that means a lot to you will be broken and you will know that it's not very nice to be lied to and fobbed off. Until then I really don't hink you should be telling me what I should accept.

That last comment is really unfair ScattyKatty......YOU came here to ask advice ..........."What should I do, what are my right?"...........yet you are not happy when you get it. You can't have it all ways.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you buy from a JL store or from JL online?

In my experience, JL stores give excellent customer service but their online customer service is dreadful!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure