Forum Home » Phones & TV

Orchid Dialler Discount - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Orchid Dialler Discount

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
871 replies 147.6K views

Replies

• I am sure a lot of people like me just have a basic BT landline and use 18866 for most calls. If this is the case, provided you have a modem connected you probably have a built in dialler on your computer and do not need an Orchid gizmo.

I have ADSL but I also keep my modem connected. I keep all my phone numbers in a contact list in Outlook. To make a call I simply highlight the person that I want to call in the list and click on the phone icon. The call goes through automatically and can be picked up on any handset.

To ensure that all calls go through 18866 (or any other service) simply edit the dialling rules tab under phone modem options and preceed the coventional number stored in the contacts list with 18866 by entering it in the field labelled :- "to access an outside line"
    When you die don't leave any fun in the bank
  • This will save you the cost of a dialler.

But.........by leaving your modem connected you run the risk of falling foul of a "scam" rogue dialler getting installed.

The costs associated with one of those dialling a premium line unknown to you will far outweigh the savings on a dialler.
  • tweetertweeter Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi peeps,
    Is there any advantage in buying the Orchid ranger 400 phone, in ease of set up use, as it has the same gubbins inside as the dialler and you can buy their phone twinset with a discount for 39 quid?
    tweeter.
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• Smartasss wrote:
    This will save you the cost of a dialler.

But.........by leaving your modem connected you run the risk of falling foul of a "scam" rogue dialler getting installed.

Good point Smartasss. I use the freeware SpyBot with TeaTimer running to prevent this.
    When you die don't leave any fun in the bank
  • Does anyone have a list, or know where I could find one, of mobile network phone codes please?

I know what network the mobiles I call regularly are on, but when someone gives you a mobile number, or maybe one of the kids wants to call a friend but doesn't know what network they use, it would help to decide which pre-fix to use for the cheapest call option :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Will you be able to tell,now you can PORT numbers from one network to another?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • Try this; it will do all numbers - mobiles, fixed area codes, 0870, etc

http://www.magsys.co.uk/telecom/codelook.asp

on landlines, if you type in the first 2 or 3 after the area code, you can even get the area of the town

0238079.... Shirley, Southampton
    0207456.... Bishopsgate, London
    077922... Orange
    0870190... Energis
  • Thanks very much Andy, just the thing I was looking for :)
    ~

• If you want to waste loads of paper you can get Excel tables from Ofcom, but I think that one is more practical
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/licensing_numbering/numbers/numbers_administered/?a=87101#geog1
  • Ohhhhh, even better ... thank you :D

I managed to find the mobile network list and saved it to file, deleting all the surplus pager and personal number codes, so now have a nice handy reference file to check out any mobile number :)
    ~

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support