PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help, Soup Mix!

Comments

• Thanks but I don't have a pressure cooker (always thought they were a bit scary!).

I never add salt to cooking except boiling spuds, so it can't be that.....
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • I always soak my soup mix in cold water and rinse it well it tends to be a bit dusty

A
  • Thanks everyone.

It is Mr ASDA's Organic Soup Mix - it was on offer so I thought I'd give it a try.....

I will try it again - maybe if I soak it overnight, then boil it up, THEN add it to my slow-cooker and cook it all day, they might be soft enough!

Don't think I'll buy the mix again after I've used this packet - Mr A sells the ingredients all separately, which is waht I would normally buy, so I'll probably give the peas a miss!
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Thanks everyone. ......... maybe if I soak it overnight, then boil it up, THEN add it to my slow-cooker and cook it all day, they might be soft enough!...........

That may be the answer. I usually soak mine in boiling water for 24 hours or so (need to decide the morning before for this one :rolleyes:), drain and then rinse till water runs clear and then bring to the boil and give them around 30-45 mins. Then drain and use in slow cooker. You're right, it's them darn peas that are the problem.

Have to admit that other brands are less of a 'faff' - Whitworths are usually quite good.

I'm quite peeved with Asda as they don't appear to sell any pulses at all apart from the Organic range - which is very naughty of them. Not that I'm against Organic stuff - I just think that us shoppers should have the choice and not have anything forced on us.

If you have a Lidl, try theirs (when they have it in stock) - I've only had it one time and it was fine.
  • Hi after reading Mbaz's inspirational post i have bought some red lentils to add to shepards pies & chillis etc, but i also bought a broth mix pack, which includes lentils, barley and peas etc. But now i'm not sure what to do with it?

i know i can put it in casseroles but never really made many casseroles before, Also i am tryin to run down my freezer and have noticed i have loads of packs of sausages(good ones that were very cheap reduced in waitrose!).

so can i make a sausage casserole and add the broth mix?
    can someone give me some pointers on what other stuff to add?

would i be ok to add tinned tomatoes? also i would like to do it in my slow cooker.

so any top casserole tips appreciated or other recepies that i can use the broth mix in.:confused:
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    I always add lentils etc to stews and casseroles. As a measure guide I have a 3.5 lt slow cooker and usually fill it ...to this I add 2 or 3 handfulls of lentils /broth mix etc (small lady hands lol). I usually add tinned toms so you should be fine.
    You can basically make a stew out of any veg..onion, carrots, potato ,sweet potato ,turnip ,celery etc. Root veg is always good . All chopped up in enough stock to cover and flavour with mixed herbs salt pepper ..a splash of lea and perrins helps too. They key is to cook it slowly for at least 6 or 7 hours in a slow cooker or 4 to 5 in a standard oven on low.
    If you are making a sausage casserole brown your sausages in a pan first and then add to stew . As for beef I dont bother pre browning it as it cookes to melting point in the s/c anyway.
    I always use leftover chicken and veg to make a stew/soup! There are loads of recipes on here to give you some ideas .
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • thanks, bertiebots.
    My slow cooker is the same size i think. But the only thing i have ever made in it is beef beurgeion(sp?) but i follow a recepie of my mums.

I think i will just have to be more adventerous, and just give it a go. I'm luck at though as my Dh (and my 2 1/2 year old biy to some extent) will eat absolutley anything!! he's not fussy and even like lentils etc.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • I use broth mix to make soup for my DH to take to work - veg broth or chicken broth. I make it in bulk and then freeze it down.

Have you tried the Whitworth's web site to see if they've got any recipes you could use?

http://www.whitworths.co.uk/cerealpulses.htm
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi pinkparrot,

I mainly use soup mix to make broth but it's also good to have on hand to sling into casseroles to help thicken them. It goes particularly well with lamb.

There's an earlier thread with lots more suggestions so I've added your thread to it to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • leiela
    leiela Posts: 443 Forumite
    Ok i have a packet of soup mix i bought from the health food shop, now i've never used anything like this before so i need help.

It has split peas (green and yellow), lentils (red and green), barley and marrowfat peas.

Now it has no instructions does is need soaking?? if so for how long??

Secondly im thinking of making soup with it, is this ok done in my slow cooker?? how long would it need??

Show much soup mix do i need to use the bag is 500g id like to make enough soup to take to work for a few days next week.

im thinking of adding some leftover Ham/gammon (about 250g worth), what else would i need to add to make a nice soup or will it be tasty enough as is?? veg? herbs etc ??

Oh and lastly i have tons of tinned/cup a soup type things im trying to get rid of and was wondering would any of these be good as a base?? or is that just not gonna work?

Sorry to be a total pain im SOOOOooo new to all this, but im getting better :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure