Barclays Golden ISA feedback

Comments

• i dont think i'll be going with barclays again this year after watching their variable interest rate drop and drop throughout the year...thanks for nothing barclays i can get better rates from a saving account
  • Gareth83
    Gareth83 Posts: 971 Forumite
    Just signed up and took 2mins to complete as an existing customer.

What does this mean though:
    Declaration and authority: help.gif I apply to subscribe for a cash ISA for the tax year 2008/2009 and each subsequent year until further notice. (Please note that this does not commit you to make further deposits).

Does that mean I can't get an ISA elsewhere on 6 Apr 2009?
  • Mintoze
    Mintoze Posts: 33 Forumite
    00264167 wrote: »
    i dont think i'll be going with barclays again this year after watching their variable interest rate drop and drop throughout the year...thanks for nothing barclays i can get better rates from a saving account

Hear Hear!! I've been a very loyal Barclays customer for a zillion years and I now think I could do better elsewhere. However, the gold ISA is tempting!
  • gregc
    gregc Posts: 57 Forumite
    2 yrs ago, applied in branch having not banked with them before. It took weeks to hear, and by that point had missed the end of the tax year.

This year, had to go into branch again as can't get online banking currently (no current account). Sat down with the excellent branch manager and got addresses/other details updated, golden ISA setup, monthly saver setup, and for good measure got a current account so I can access them through online banking. Took about half an hour, all instantly setup in branch, no waiting for applications in post.

They only accept transfers in that they can control, so that's cash/cheque in branch, or on the phone from other accounts. (May be other ways, but that's all that I could work out that were possible!) Much better experience than previously, no complaints at all.
  • babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Hi,

I just opened one online. (I previously had an e-savings account with them too, but the interest is now abismal!).

It took a few minutes, and I've only put £1 in to begin with. I'll transfer the rest of my savings once I've recieved the agreement in the post (apparently this will be within 5 to 10 working days).
    Looking forward to the future.
  • Waddy
    Waddy Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not an existing Barclays customer so went into the branch today and they were pretty efficient. At the end of the process I have a sort code and account number. I asked the man if Barclays would guarantee that account would be opened in this tax year and he didn’t say ‘Yes’ but did say that they can now process applications in the branch rather than send them to Glasgow. Only minor gripe was that I had to queue for a cashier to ask to open the account then I had to queue again at the end of the process to pay the cheque to a cashier. Also asked for online banking as don’t want to queue again so will be interested to see if I can transfer funds into this account post 6 April. Am optimistic that it will be OK, though fully expect the rate to drop!
  • I heard that this year the branch staff actually open the account whereas in previous years a form was printed then sent to Glasgow along with the cheque to be processed - is this correct?

This is correct. Barclays cash isa's are now processed in branch and opened immediately. Cheque would be processed at branch or money transferred from Barclays current account as part of application process. Interest earned from day 1.
  • Mintoze wrote: »
    Hear Hear!! I've been a very loyal Barclays customer for a zillion years and I now think I could do better elsewhere. However, the gold ISA is tempting!

Barclays does not control the bank of England base rate so the rate drop was unaviodable. With the current interest rate of 3.61%, i very much doubt that a basic savings account would pay more interest gross!
  • Gareth83 wrote: »
    Just signed up and took 2mins to complete as an existing customer.

What does this mean though:

Does that mean I can't get an ISA elsewhere on 6 Apr 2009?

No - you'll still be able to open another ISA on April 6 if you want to. All that the above does is mean is if you want to use the same ISA for the 09-10 allowance you won't have to apply again.
  • Both existing and none Barclays customers can apply in branch. Only existing customers can apply on line. The lady I saw told me this as my Dad wanted one
    I went into a local branch yesterday and was sorted out there and then. They were also really helpful when looking at my other savings and really tried to help me make the most of my money with rates being so low right now.
    I also applied last year and I know service wasn;t so good then. This year I am really impressed. Martin ..... Think you should relax your WARNING note on the headline detail as it may put people off looking at this great product:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure