Meter reader/nPower say mandatory "Gas Safety Check" needed every 2 years

Options

Comments

• Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options

Sorry you had a bad experience but tarring everyone with same brush is a bit harsh is it not? Sacsquacco is a reader, who by the sounds of things does a good job.

Yes he is, but he's visiting so many "older ladies" that I'm getting an image of him like in the Harry Enfield Randy Grannies sketch...;):D
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    Monkeys?

Sorry you had a bad experience but tarring everyone with same brush is a bit harsh is it not? Sacsquacco is a reader, who by the sounds of things does a good job.

As for your ecv problem, I'm guessing the sticker was placed on incorrectly but as i said it's a visual inspection - as long as the handle is in place and ok condition, that is the readers job done. ;)

The rules are not set by utilities, they come from the industry bodies.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • Inspectorman
    Inspectorman Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Terrylw1 wrote: »
    Yes he is, but he's visiting so many "older ladies" that I'm getting an image of him like in the Harry Enfield Randy Grannies sketch...;):D

lol - he does seem to spend a bit of time with them :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nice one Terry, I spend half my days now with grannys, as a lot submit reads online so we are left with the 20% or so who dont have a computer, and thats grannys. You can remove the "randy " image tho in your head lol
  • andrew.blunt
    Options
    I had a similar situation with Npower - they wrote to me out of the blue threatening to obtain a warrant for forced entry to do a 'gas safety check'. When I rang Npower they said it was nothing to do with them and to ring Lowri Beck - the company actually doing the inspection.
    They admitted that it was not a statutory requirement, just a condition of the gas licence given to Npower. If not carried out then Npower would be likely to be fined by the regulater with NO penalty upon the customer. As others have stated this is just another abuse of power by Npower.
    Having read the Gas Act a warant can only be obtained where the customer has denied entry for the stated work to be carried out, so next time I get one of these letters I'll go along to the Magistrates Court and point out that no such request has been received from Npower.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I had a similar situation with Npower - they wrote to me out of the blue threatening to obtain a warrant for forced entry to do a 'gas safety check'. When I rang Npower they said it was nothing to do with them and to ring Lowri Beck - the company actually doing the inspection.
    They admitted that it was not a statutory requirement, just a condition of the gas licence given to Npower. If not carried out then Npower would be likely to be fined by the regulater with NO penalty upon the customer. As others have stated this is just another abuse of power by Npower.
    Having read the Gas Act a warant can only be obtained where the customer has denied entry for the stated work to be carried out, so next time I get one of these letters I'll go along to the Magistrates Court and point out that no such request has been received from Npower.

You have no chance of stopping an inspection warrant, if you don't respond to requests for entry they are allowed to.

They also have the ability to cut you off at the riser, via your local GT .
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Terrylw1
    Options

I think you've been misadvised here.

LBSL are working as a contracted agent by your supplier, Npower.

The gas safety check is your suppliers responsibility under licence so they arrange for their agents to manage the process to get the meters checked.

The contracted agent, since this is not an individual request but a whole list, arrange the visits on behalf of the supplier. So, you call the agent as they are doing the booking.

This is the only time you need to do this unless a contracted metering company comes out per your supplier and needs to come back and arranges it direct with you (usually where they are trying to help you get it done, so they send your supplier an update afterwards).

If you go to court, they will find in favour of the supplier who is following their licence condition as set by the regulator.

The way it should have been handled is like this:

- you call your supplier out of concern and they explain why its required to put your mind at rest. They ask you to contact the agent to book a visit.

- you call the agent to book the visit.

You will get the same issue with meter recertification.

Remember, its their equipment, not yours. If you ever deny access to this if requested by the metering company, they have the right to obtain a warrant to inspect their property.

The suppliers right to a warrant isn't the same, they do it for debt, tampers and billing needs mostly.

Gas safety checks and re certification whilst being up to the metering company, the supplier has a duty of care for your safety and the accuracy of the meter recording, hence the licence obligation is placed on them.
  • chanz4
    Options
    And if you do refuse, their tog team will get involved and not tell you when they are coming under a no notice warrant
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

Why do you not want your meter inspected?
  • chanz4
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Why do you not want your meter inspected?

he has a sub meter, or has taken the seals/battery out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure