Meter reader/nPower say mandatory "Gas Safety Check" needed every 2 years

Options

Comments

• Terrylw1
    Terrylw1 Posts: 7,038 Forumite
    Options
    But since Data Collectors can be anyone now, its reported to the Meter Operator or even the Distributor if needed via the office guys.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't suppose there will be a need to check to see if the meter is being fiddled once we all get Smart Meters.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    Until someone finds a way to tamper with those and prevent any remote checks.
    :rotfl: It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 April 2012 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Thats right SailorSam, the old bypass link on the lekky meter will be history and all the ebay sellers with their substitute meters out of a listing.However,we are then going to rely on these foreign owned Utilities doing automated monitoring of the meters with their fault codes.I ve been told that we will be checking the meters on a 5 year cycle eventually, at the moment its yearly.I have not seen anything untoward so far on any of the smart meters I have read, all the seals intact.I would just like to add that the big fiddlers, the cannabis farms etc do a bypass before the meter itself
  • Terrylw1
    Options
    Smart metering will have no impact on distribution practices so they will still be doing their mandatory safety checks. Some of them visit every 6 months due to past safety and tampering concerns.

Its just the Data Collector and Meter Operator that will change.

I'm still not fully sold on smart, I've seen some of it from the supplier end and whilst the same data/billing problems were caused, there were all new ones.
  • DelBoyPhil
    DelBoyPhil Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    As its a gas safty check are they not rquired to be done by Gas safe registerd engineers. ??
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Give them to liverpool, they will be hacked and the smart pre-pays reverted to credit meters.
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Inspectorman
    Inspectorman Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    DelBoyPhil wrote: »
    As its a gas safty check are they not rquired to be done by Gas safe registerd engineers. ??

No - it's a visual inspection to make sure the meter is in good condition (Obvious things like ecv, seals, screen damage, etc...) and also to make sure reads tally up and there is no by passing going on.
  • DelBoyPhil
    DelBoyPhil Posts: 875 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2012 at 4:40PM
    Options
    No - it's a visual inspection to make sure the meter is in good condition (Obvious things like ecv, seals, screen damage, etc...) and also to make sure reads tally up and there is no by passing going on.
    So basically they are allowed to employ incompetent monkeys that can’t do the job properly.
    as the year before last when I was having a now gas boiler fitted the qualified gas safe engineer that was fitting it noticed that my meter was unsafe because the on/off switch on the meter was in the on position when it was down and off when up he contacted Telco who put it right

this meter had been in the property since the 1960s and had numerouse so called meter checks by the meter monkys without being picked up
  • Inspectorman
    Inspectorman Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    DelBoyPhil wrote: »
    so basicaly they are allowed to employ incompietnt monkeys that cant do the job properly.
    as the year befor last when I was having a now gas boiler fitted the qualified gase safe engineer that was fitting it noticed that my meter was unsafe because the on/of switch on the meter was in the on position when it was down and off when up he contacted telco who put it right
    this meter had been in the property since the 1960s and had numerouse so called meter checks by the meter monkys without being picked up

Monkeys?

Sorry you had a bad experience but tarring everyone with same brush is a bit harsh is it not? Sacsquacco is a reader, who by the sounds of things does a good job.

As for your ecv problem, I'm guessing the sticker was placed on incorrectly but as i said it's a visual inspection - as long as the handle is in place and ok condition, that is the readers job done. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure