Meter reader/nPower say mandatory "Gas Safety Check" needed every 2 years

Options

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    A switch of supplier does not affect the requirement for a supplier to ensure the meter is read at least once every 2 years ... and it sounds like this time limit is getting very close if not already exceeded.

It'll take at least 4 weeks, possibly longer with Christmas in the way, to switch supplier.
    It doesn't take that long to obtain an entry warrant ;)
  • Inspectorman
    Options
    As Sasc has mentioned - arrange the appointment and put the read in the window.

I'm guessing you don't give reads to your meter reader (either by card / phone / person) - If you do the above in the future when requested by your meter reader you wont get them chasing you for a gas safety inspection (doing them online or phoning supplier direct wont stop it). ;)
  • Steven.S_2
    Options
    My son just received one of these threatening letters from his supplier. We contacted the supplier and asked what law was being quoted when they said 'its against the law not to have the safety check' they have not yet replied. I have read the GS(IU)R 1998 and can find no reference to a 2yr safety check. Can anyone tell me what regs the supplier is using? If the check is just a quick glance, is it really a safety check?
  • sheffield_lad
    Options
    Steven.S wrote: »
    My son just received one of these threatening letters from his supplier. We contacted the supplier and asked what law was being quoted when they said 'its against the law not to have the safety check' they have not yet replied. I have read the GS(IU)R 1998 and can find no reference to a 2yr safety check. Can anyone tell me what regs the supplier is using? If the check is just a quick glance, is it really a safety check?

What is the issue? It takes around 5mins! Folk who don't want one either like to moan for the sake of it or have something to hide. Just let them in !!!!!!.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Read page one, it is part of their licence conditions that they do it
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 December 2012 at 9:12PM
    Options
    What is the issue? It takes around 5mins! Folk who don't want one either like to moan for the sake of it or have something to hide. Just let them in !!!!!!.
    I live alone and work all over the Country, living in rented or serviced accomodation as a I move from different regions. I also have my own property, which is left empty for several chunks of the year which also serves the required legality for giving a fixed address for the DVLA, Passports etc and the security of a roof over my head for me if I ever lost my current employment.

I had one of these inspections at my main property, fortunately I also have somebody who checks the mail / property periodically who spotted it amongst the rest of the junk, or it probably would have gone to court and the first thing i'd have known about it would be a return home to find a new front door......

I realise that it must be a shock for the utility companies to find a customer who actually works for a living, I even apologised to the company concerned because I realise that we are in a minority.

Either way, I couldn't expect the goodwill of the person who checks my property to take time off from his employment, so I had to make a round trip of 500 miles so their glorified meter reader could spend less than 5 minutes glancing over the pipes and taking a reading. The same reading as they had several months before because the gas was turned off at the mains.

Either way, Howee me old mate, a lot of peoples' lives don't mirror yours!, and working away or even in another country, is not that uncommon these days, and in fact its getting increasingly more common for employees at some point, to have to travel or spend time away from home, sometimes for periods of weeks or even months at a time who may not have living relatives around their property, so it isn't always convenient to "just let them in !!!!!!" and its also fair to say that Saturday or Evening appointments aren't of much help in these circumstances either.

So, yes these safety checks may indeed be the law, but it doesn't detract away from the fact that for some customers it is a genuinely major and expensive inconvenience.

Use a bit of common sense........
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • Steven.S_2
    Options
    Listen, all I want to know is what right does the supplier have to gain entry to a property. If there is a legitimate purpose for this we are quite happy to allow them in, but if this 'safety check' only takes 5 mins or less than is it really safety related. A let-by and soundness test takes longer. I would add that my son works 6 days a week and wil have to take unpaid leave to stay at home.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Simple, try the statutory Rights of Entry Gas and Electricity Act 1954, the Gas Act, the Electricity Act. The fact that the meter is not your property and their right to inspect it on behalf of the owner.
    Try googling rights of entry.

I did look what I found

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2535/contents/made
  • Steven.S_2
    Options
    Ok found it, but when he (my son) asked for the meter to be read (by e-mail), just as he moved in, he was told by the supplier that they don't come out to read meters. If they did then their nasty letters and threats could be avoided. Oh for the good old days when customers mattered. Anyone recommend a decent supplier? - he is with Utility Warehouse
  • Inspectorman
    Options
    All of the big six have meter readers in one way or another (either in-house or contracted) and generally read every 6 months. So it's a case of who the cheapest supplier would be, if they would like to see a reader every now and then

I get my electric from EDF and haven't seen my meter reader for about 2 years and get my gas from Atlantic whose meter reader I see every 6 months without fail - same chap as well :D

Former meter reader tip - If you miss the meter reader, fill in the card or phone / text the number on it (even if you do it online). It will pretty much stop your meter from being flagged up as a "must be read" which is what can generate these nasty letters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure