Sar Letter

Options

Comments

• OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you in what the bank would deem financial hardship, though?

If the bank dosen't deem this, the Financial ombudsman can. The source I mentioned before ("moneysavingexpert Reclaim Bank Charges") goes in to this clearly. I think that's one of your guides, isnt it?, don't tell me that's a "guide only". THis is a common argument used by slippery pps. LOL.

By the way, I don't believe that something has to affect me personally in order to have an opinion on it.

All I am saying is any reasonable person will have some idea if the charges are "OTP" (over the top) and cyclical (one charge leads to another), if not they will get some idea through websites like yours. If someone complains about the charges after going overdrawn buying this, that and the other, then obviously the bank dosent have to pay back the charges. But they probably wouldnt "grill" you if they have imposed unreasonable charges one on top of the other.
    As to the Bank having to explain codes etc as part of a SAR, that ICO guideline
    is a new one on me and I don't think Banks comply with it unless pressed by the customer.

LOL. are you saying that you didn't read the Original Posting (OP) before submitting post #449. Read the OP, it says:
    Where you have used abbreviations and/or codes, I would request that an accompanying sheet be provided so as to translate these abbreviations and/or codes and their meanings, I also request an accompanying appendices of the documents included and reference to the purpose or meaning to those documents.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OceanSound wrote: »
    LOL. are you saying that you didn't read the Original Posting (OP) before submitting post #449. Read the OP, it says:....
    Yes I read and was clearly responding to it when I said I hadn't heard of that guideline. You say earlier that you received no explanation of the codes and that you assumed they were there "by law"

Do let the forum know if successful with any complaint about "unreasonable" bank charges. However, if you don't intend to complain yourself, why did you send the SAR?

Why do you suggest that this is in any way "my" forum?

I didn't write any of the MSE guides, nor would I regard them as gospel and I only ever reference the PPI ones.

There is a long thread elsewhere on the forum which has a litany of posters who have tried and failed to obtain a refund on bank charges because they were not in financial hardship and failed to read the guide properly.

If you complain to the bank that you are in financial hardship then your recent statements will indeed be thoroughly examined, if you object to the term "grilled" then I can suggest alternatives...
  • OceanSound
    Options
    Made a SAR request to Santander this week. In it, I said "Kindly note that I am currently not in possession of a cheque book, nor am I able to send you a postal order/money order. Hence, please provide an alternative method of payment."

Santander has replied and said they can provide specific information through customer services, free of charge. However, if I wish to make a "Full subject access request", then please send a cheque or postal order for 10 pounds.
    funny that!, they've offered the same payment methods as post #445. Coincidence?? I Doubt it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    funny that!, they've offered the same payment methods as post #445. Coincidence?? I Doubt it.
    Are you suggesting that I work for Satander and have somehow identified you from your "OceanSound" identity here? :D

Of course it's not a coincidence. You were ALWAYS able to offer a (crossed) Postal Order as an alternative to a cheque. I believe that's the whole point of Postal Orders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_order

Exactly why are you not in a position to send a Postal Order?No Post Office in your vicinity?You're joking, right?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,510 Forumite
    Options
    However, if I wish to make a "Full subject access request", then please send a cheque or postal order for 10 pounds.
    funny that!, .

It doesn't matter if you tell them how YOU can't pay, they are telling you what they will accept as payment.

You pay as they ask, or you don't.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you suggesting that I work for Satander and have somehow identified you from your "OceanSound" identity here? :D

Of course it's not a coincidence. You were ALWAYS able to offer a (crossed) Postal Order as an alternative to a cheque. I believe that's the whole point of Postal Orders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_order

Exactly why are you not in a position to send a Postal Order?No Post Office in your vicinity?You're joking, right?

To be fair to OceanSound the ICO does say that if you offer a valid payment method such as a bank transfer (paypal and similar are not valid if the bank doesn't have the facility to accept them as they don't have to start doing so just for a DSAR) then they should accept it and do the DSAR though obviously some more mainstream process like a credit card or PO would be better
  • OceanSound
    Options
    Update:

Sent a cheque for 10 pounds accompanied with a letter printed on paper + ID.

After the discussion here (on this forum) about the terms and conditions not being part of my personal data. I decided to leave that part out from the Santander SAR.

See my original Santander SAR (names and personal details replaced) lodged via secure messaging : !!!!!!/sant-ini-request

The paper copy I sent via post: !!!!!!/sant-fee-attacd

No mention of terms and conditions.

However, I received a letter from Santander on 26 August 2016. It has the following:

Please note that some documents, such as company internal policies and procedures, terms and conditions etc contain no personal data and therefore do not fall under the remit of a Subject Access Request.

See their letter: !!!!!!/sant-sar-rep

Moneyineptitude: still think it's coincidence?. Santander has nothing to do with Halifax, in fact they are competitors. Although, when it comes to information, they know exactly what I said. Yep, through a third party. He always takes care of business. <wink> Looks after them real good. Just follow the money.

I'll be lodging a complaint with the ICO against Santander for not responding to the initial SAR lodged via secure messaging (section 7 breach of the DPA) among other breaches.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    However, I received a letter from Santander on 26 August 2016. It has the following:

Please note that some documents, such as company internal policies and procedures, terms and conditions etc contain no personal data and therefore do not fall under the remit of a Subject Access Request.

[/U]See their letter: !!!!!!/sant-sar-rep

Moneyineptitude: still think it's coincidence?. Santander has nothing to do with Halifax, in fact they are competitors. Although, when it comes to information, they know exactly what I said. Yep, through a third party. He always takes care of business. <wink> Looks after them real good. Just follow the money.

I'll be lodging a complaint with the ICO against Santander for not responding to the initial SAR lodged via secure messaging (section 7 breach of the DPA) among other breaches.

Nice conspiracy theory - alternatively it could just be a standard response.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nearlyold wrote: »
    Nice conspiracy theory - alternatively it could just be a standard response.
    I'm not even going to respond any further to this.
    I'm certain, though, that the ICO will get a kick out of any complaint which makes reference to the "conspiracy". :)
  • OceanSound
    Options
    I'm not even going to respond any further to this.

You just have :)

Of course it's not a coincidence...

are you saying OceanSound is the only piece of information you know about me? (apart from what I've already told you here and info provided when I joined the forum)

Why are you defending my "conspiracy theories" so vigorously if they are baseless?. (Because someone told you to?)

People aren't stupid. They'll figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure