PPI Reclaiming Discussion part 4

edited 10 June 2010 at 2:07PM in Reclaim PPI & Other Insurance
27K replies 2.2M views

Replies

• kirks21kirks21 Forumite
    13 Posts
    Hi folks
    Have been reading through a few of the many threads on here for the last hour, but thought it may be best to ask people's advice on what I do next with my claim (I.e refer it to the Ombudsman)
    Here are the background details of my situation...

Apr 2005 - took out loan.

From early 2007 to late 2007, i was unemployed and as such began to struggle with payments on this loan and other loans.
    As a result of the above unemployment, I signed up to a debt management plan in 2008. I'm currently still on the DMP.
    I recently noticed on a statement from Barclays (the first i've ever seen for this loan) that i was paying PPI on this loan. I checked through my paperwork for this loan, and found the orginal credit aggreement from 2005, but no mention of PPI on there.
    I called Barclays about 6 weeks ago who confirmed that I have been paying PPI. I filled in the questionaire that I found on here and sent off.
    I received a reply on 23 March stating that "During a telephone call to you on 20 March 2006, the benefits of our PPI scheme would have been explained to you" I have been paying PPI of £21.50 per month ever since then. Thats obvioulsy quite a bit of money that i didnt need to pay them!
    I immediatley wrote back to inform Barclays that I was not happy with their response and could my complaint be looked at again.
    I have just received another letter from Barclays pretty much saying that they are satisfied that the PPI was only added to my account after my authority was granted.
    I'm not happy with their responses, and want to now take it to the FOS.
    I understand that anything i get back will probably go straight towards the remaining balance on my DMP, and thats fine as it means I'll get it paid off sooner.
    Will it affect me that i'm on a DMP?
    Also, surely if i had have known any details of the PPI policy at the time I was unemployed, perhaps i could have used it for what it was intended for? Barclays knew i was unemployed and struggling to make payments, yet they said nothing of the PPI and just carried on adding the payments to my account for it, whilst i had to take out a DMP to try and sort my finances out.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated, cheers folks
  • edited 3 April 2011 at 9:34PM
    di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    edited 3 April 2011 at 9:34PM
    kirks21 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Have been reading through a few of the many threads on here for the last hour, but thought it may be best to ask people's advice on what I do next with my claim (I.e refer it to the Ombudsman)
    Here are the background details of my situation...

Apr 2005 - took out loan.

From early 2007 to late 2007, i was unemployed and as such began to struggle with payments on this loan and other loans.
    As a result of the above unemployment, I signed up to a debt management plan in 2008. I'm currently still on the DMP.
    I recently noticed on a statement from Barclays (the first i've ever seen for this loan) that i was paying PPI on this loan. I checked through my paperwork for this loan, and found the orginal credit aggreement from 2005, but no mention of PPI on there.
    I called Barclays about 6 weeks ago who confirmed that I have been paying PPI. I filled in the questionaire that I found on here and sent off.
    I received a reply on 23 March stating that "During a telephone call to you on 20 March 2006, the benefits of our PPI scheme would have been explained to you" I have been paying PPI of £21.50 per month ever since then. Thats obvioulsy quite a bit of money that i didnt need to pay them!
    I immediatley wrote back to inform Barclays that I was not happy with their response and could my complaint be looked at again.
    I have just received another letter from Barclays pretty much saying that they are satisfied that the PPI was only added to my account after my authority was granted.
    I'm not happy with their responses, and want to now take it to the FOS.
    I understand that anything i get back will probably go straight towards the remaining balance on my DMP, and thats fine as it means I'll get it paid off sooner.
    Will it affect me that i'm on a DMP?
    Also, surely if i had have known any details of the PPI policy at the time I was unemployed, perhaps i could have used it for what it was intended for? Barclays knew i was unemployed and struggling to make payments, yet they said nothing of the PPI and just carried on adding the payments to my account for it, whilst i had to take out a DMP to try and sort my finances out.
    Any thoughts greatly appreciated, cheers folks

Hi there

I would not leave it there that's for sure, and yes I agree if you were then aware you had ppi you would have tried making a claim for unemployment.

You have stated that you have a loan agreement where there is NO mention of PPI being taken out.
    Did you send Barclays a "copy" of this when you made the reclaim?

If not then write one more time and tell them you have direct evidence that you did not take out any ppi as the details of the insurance would have been on your agreement you have, and if you did chose to taken out PPI this therefore should have been enclosed on the loan agreement, also mention its only when checking statements you were aware of paying out for the PPI which is why you are making a complaint, and if they do not reconsider in your favour by 14 days you will take the matter further.

Then from here, if you hear nothing complain to the FOS.
    If still currently in hardship, also let the FOS know this and request for fast tracking.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • fsaxomfsaxom Forumite
    43 Posts
    hi peps,

i sent my 2nd letter to central capital but they were quick to responed saying they still reject my complaint based on their previous letter also stating that i could take my complaint to FOS from date on previous letter.so i will be taking my complaint to FOS and see what they decide so fingers crossed.
    thanks to everyone thats helped and advised me to purse my complaint, hopefully it pays off or out even lol.
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    fsaxom wrote: »
    hi peps,

i sent my 2nd letter to central capital but they were quick to responed saying they still reject my complaint based on their previous letter also stating that i could take my complaint to FOS from date on previous letter.so i will be taking my complaint to FOS and see what they decide so fingers crossed.
    thanks to everyone thats helped and advised me to purse my complaint, hopefully it pays off or out even lol.

Hiya hun
    so sorry they did not change the decision, maddening i know, but sure the FOS will see this in a different view, fingers crossed for you.;) x
    13 Posts
    di3004 wrote: »
    Hi there

I would not leave it there that's for sure, and yes I agree if you were then aware you had ppi you would have tried making a claim for unemployment.

You have stated that you have a loan agreement where there is NO mention of PPI being taken out.
    Did you send Barclays a "copy" of this when you made the reclaim?

If not then write one more time and tell them you have direct evidence that you did not take out any ppi as the details of the insurance would have been on your agreement you have, and if you did chose to taken out PPI this therefore should have been enclosed on the loan agreement, also mention its only when checking statements you were aware of paying out for the PPI which is why you are making a complaint, and if they do not reconsider in your favour by 14 days you will take the matter further.

Then from here, if you hear nothing complain to the FOS.
    If still currently in hardship, also let the FOS know this and request for fast tracking.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

thanks for this advice!!

Would I be worth me sending Barclays a copy of the credit agreement?? I've got it in my hand now and there is no mention of PPI on there at all. it might be of note that the original credit agreement was with a company called LVG? It also mentions Clydesdale Financial Services, who i understand were taken over by Barclays a few years ago?
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    thanks for this advice!!

Would I be worth me sending Barclays a copy of the credit agreement?? I've got it in my hand now and there is no mention of PPI on there at all. it might be of note that the original credit agreement was with a company called LVG? It also mentions Clydesdale Financial Services, who i understand were taken over by Barclays a few years ago?

Hiya and your welcome.

Yes send them a "copy" that would be of some help.

I would still puruse Barclays if it were them that set your account up despite them being taken over, or another suggestion would be to also write to Clydesdale and make them aware of your complaint to Barclays as well.

Good luck.;)
    13 Posts
    di3004 wrote: »
    Hiya and your welcome.

Yes send them a "copy" that would be of some help.

I would still puruse Barclays if it were them that set your account up despite them being taken over, or another suggestion would be to also write to Clydesdale and make them aware of your complaint to Barclays as well.

Good luck.;)

i Googled Clydesdale and it directs you to a Barclays website, so its the same company. Will send them a copy of the credit agreement I have here. It seems to me that they have decided to add PPI to my account following a phone call, is this enough of an agreement for them?

Watch this space...
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    i Googled Clydesdale and it directs you to a Barclays website, so its the same company. Will send them a copy of the credit agreement I have here. It seems to me that they have decided to add PPI to my account following a phone call, is this enough of an agreement for them?

Watch this space...

Hiya

I assumed a new agreement would have had to be signed if you ppi was added following a phone call, plus they would have had to send you details of the ppi, booklet details etc.;)
  • Hi there

I need a little advice.

Last year I sent letters to HSBC regarding 2 loans I had taken out with them. After their stalling as expected I threatened the FOS to which I ended up getting a refusal to pay up followed by their final decision on the matter.
    I had the forms ready to be filled in but never got round to it for various reasons. At the turn of the year I gave myself a big kick up the backside and got the forms filled out and gathered all the letters to and from the bank, got copies of them as my evidence for the FOS and was all ready to send them.
    Unfortunately I then fell ill and ended having an operation which meant that I could not get out to post the forms.
    In this time the 6 month period to contact the FOS after the final decision passed and I wanted to know whether I am able to still go to the FOS with my complaint? or will I have to start the process over and go back to the bank?
  • gadgets.locogadgets.loco Forumite
    33 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi - Barclays has responded back exactly by the 8th week which they have committed to. Here is what they said:

In our previous letter we promised to keep you updated on the progress of our investigation.

Having reviewed your complaint we can confirm that we are unable to provide a final response to your complaint at the moment and would like to explain why this is so and the implications of this for you.

The standards against which your complaint should be assessed, namely the Financial Services Authority (FSA) policy statement on Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) complaints and guidance published by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) are the subject of legal proceedings between the British Bankers' Association (BBA), the FSA and the FOS.

It continues on but essentially the letter is telling me my complaint is on hold until the court decision is reached. Should I call Barclays and let them know that their response was not satisfactory and I will file my claim with the FOS?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides