PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What secret/special ingredient do you add to certain food/dishes?

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    its not secret as such but i put tom puree in all mince dishes as u get a nice brown colour and no greyness iykwim
    onwards and upwards
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A dash of Worcester sauce to baked beans. Chopped chives to scrambled eggs. I always use vanilla extract rather than essence in icing
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Akom
    Akom Posts: 159 Forumite
    Aril wrote: »
    A dash of Worcester sauce to baked beans. Chopped chives to scrambled eggs. I always use vanilla extract rather than essence in icing
    Aril

Ooooo, that reminds me. Try adding fresh Sage to omelette. It's fantastic and really works. Would go with scrambled eggs too.
  • I use All purpose seasoning on a joint of beef and I coat chicken drumsticks in it - lovely in a beef stew too.
    Hp sauce in cottage pie, Balsamic vinegar in Spag Bol and Soda Water or Beer to batter mix.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Tomato ketchup in bolog and other 'mince' sauces;
    'Maggi' sauce in stir fries (similar to Soy sauce) - it's also good to add a meaty taste to grilled meat;
    Vinegar when cooking tough old meat;
    Something raw like chopped spring onions or tomato as a final last minute ingredient in stir fries to freshen it up;
    Freshly ground nutmeg in pureed parsnips;
    Paprika and marigold vegetable stock powder on homemade oven chips;
    In baking:
    A splash of orange juice on the apples when cooking in apple pie/crumble; and finally
    soya milk makes cakes much lighter than ordinary milk
  • Bettyboop
    Bettyboop Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Wow what fabulous tips.... have to say when I try making more family dinners I will definitely by trying splashes of this and that.

Well done everyone.

For God knew in His great wisdom

That he couldn't be everywhere,
    So he put His little Children
    In a loving mother's care.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A splash of Balsamic vinegar in the mayo for coleslaw (my mum uses a mix of mayo and salad cream which is harsher but still works well.)
    A layer of extra mature cheddar under the pastry in a minced beef and veg or chilli con carne pie(we call it 'cow pie').
    A handful of oats to 400g mince in chilli or bolognese (spreads it cheaply and makes the sauce stick to the pasta).
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my mum used to use Marmite and peppercorns on steak
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Ok here is my recipe for Chilli (mind you I don't use kidney beans as I don't like them)

800g Steak Mince
    Tin Chopped Tomatoes
    A good tbsp of tomato puree
    Couple of carrots finely chopped.
    Onion, halved and chopped on the half moon (its my ocd bit, onions have to be chopped certain ways for different dishes)
    Mixed Herbs
    Salt and pepper
    Chopped garlic
    Hot Chilli Powder - to taste - I usually use a large heaped tsp - more if its for just me and hubby.
    1pt Beef Stock

I cook this for three hours or so on very low light, then remove lid and reduce, at the end I add my secret ingredient. A large tablespoon of treacle.

Let me know if you try it and like it.

PS I can sometimes cook this for up to six hours, not very moneysaving on the stovetop but its fabulous and I am always asked to make it.
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • Bettyboop wrote: »
    What great tips so far. So far everything mentioned I never thought to try. Someone told me to baste pork chops in mustard and that tasted awful.

I've just mixed 2tsp worcestershire sauce, 2tsp dijon mustard and 3tbsp of tomato ketchup together and brushed it on pork chops and grilled them and it was delicious:D everyone said how nice they tasted:D
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try:whistle:)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose:eek:

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose:D
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose:D
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business