PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What secret/special ingredient do you add to certain food/dishes?

1161718192022»

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always mix my mince with either a handful of oats, or a good few tbsps of soya mince about 10 mins before frying off. It takes up some of the moisture from the mince so it frys properly rather than steams.

If I don't have oats or soya mince then a tablespoon of flour does the same job and thickens the sauce just enough too :)

Balsamic in spag bol

Mushroom Ketchup is fab in anything with mince

Pinto beans in chilli - much nicer than kidney beans

Baked beans inc sauce in cottage pies or similar mince meals

tsp of melted butter in yorkshire pud/pancake batter

cumin in fajitas and always put it in chilli con carne - everyone loves my chilli ;)

Put any veg stalks, ie brocolli, or half an onion inside a chicken before roasting - adds moisture and flavour

soya sauce (kikkomans) in almost everything esp things with mushrooms - really brings out mushroomy flavour

Yum Yum - This thread has made me sooooooooooooo hungry!!!
  • This is my first post but I've been reading all the tips and ideas on here for a while.
    My personal best tip is to add a fun sized bounty bar to curry right at the end of the cooking, after you have added yoghurt or cream if using. I learnt this from a Royal Marine chef who visited my school to do some cooking with the pupils and strange though it sounds it adds a real depth of flavour.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Do you have a recipe which has an ingredient that would surprise those who didn't know it was in there?

I have just found this recipe on Pinterest, don't know if I will try it but it may be of interest to other members.

Peanut Butter Choc Chip Cookies (secret ingredient............ chickpeas!).

http://www.texanerin.com/2012/04/grain-free-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip.html

pbcookiesR_IMG_0195.jpg

pbcookiesR_IMG_01362.jpg

More like a cake than a cookie by the look of it.

What diet?
  • These look really yummy - I've a few family/friends who have to have gluten free foods, so thanks for the link.

I love chickpeas, peanut butter and choc chips, not so much a honey fan though, but will certainly give them a try.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always thing that if carrot cake were presented as (for instance) iced spice cake then no one would know that there was carrot in it
  • auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    These look scrummy but I'm a bit worried about her last sentence!

"I don't like chickpeas and won't eat them but that didn't prevent me from inhaling these."
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure