PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What secret/special ingredient do you add to certain food/dishes?

Comments

• zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    cumin, added to lots of things
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • a_sav
    a_sav Posts: 1,658 Forumite
    My secret tip is... a tin of scotch broth to shepherds pie andfrozen mixed veg.Cinnamon stick and clove or two to curries to add more flavour.Oil in the pancake batter so it does not stick to the pan
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I thought HP in a lot of things was 'my' secret ingredient but I see it's everyones ! I have a really good beef casserole recipe made with a bit of streaky bacon in addition to the beef, celery with the onions, and grated rind of an orange and its juice in with the stock - just subtly different. Also I have had a bottle of Mr T's dry Oloroso sherry (about £6, had it two years, still good, so not much of an extravagence) which I add to chicken in white sauce and other things, giving a really deep and different undertone. Good thread, thanks !
  • embb
    embb Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    I add a Bayleaf to onion gravy when done in the oven, delish. I also add a little bit of Mustard when making macaroni cheese, brings out the flavour of the cheese.
  • I quite like grated ginger in tomato soup.

Also, I drop in a little spoon of creme fraiche at the end for nice rich scrambled eggs.
    "Who throws a shoe, honestly?"
    :rotfl:
  • mudgekin
    mudgekin Posts: 514 Forumite
    Mushroom ketchup in lots of meaty things like stews and mince dishes. Smoked paprika in everything that calls for ordinary paprika and also to kedgeree.
    Dried English mustard to anything cheesy
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Nutmeg and a splash of milk at the end of spag bol

Cinnamon and choc/ cocoa in chilli

Yoghurt mixed with mayo for coleslaw - gives a lovely tang

HM quince jelly in gravy
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doing my student days, all my buns and cakes had a magic ingredient that you couldn't get from the supermarket :D

Now my secret ingredients are booze, Beer/port/Red wine with red meat, Vodka with Prawns, white wine in everything else.
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Add some cubed ginger bread or ginger cake (parkin style - here in france: 'pain d'epices') to a simple beef & onion stew.
    Add a pinch of sugar to a home-made oil & vinegar salad dressing.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • My "secret" ingredient is to use almond essence rather than vanilla when making cakes, loafs, biscuits and cookies. I think it gives a much better taste, especially in chocolate chip cookies. :)
    Take the first step.
    Even if you cannot see the whole staircase,
    Just take the first step.
    ~MLK, Jr~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business