£50 Benefit for ALL bills including Rent

Options

Comments

• Sleepy_2
    Sleepy_2 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    Could you not get a part time job and help her out.

Yes, we are both doing as much overtime as possible. As stated earlier I am trying to repay what I can.
  • Sleepy_2
    Options
    Yes - The underlying problem is that the £37,000 is still outstanding, and as many of you have rightly stated it is an awful lot of money.

But if a woman has a baby, are you saying that she made a mistake and is not entitled to any benefit for herself and the baby?

If a drug addict needs medical attention - are you saying "tough, you brought it on yourself"

If a smoker / drinker uses the resources of the Emergency services / NHS then are you saying "They knew what they were doing and are not entitled to help now when they are dying of Heart Attack / Kidney Failure"?

My Mum is receiving £50 each week to live on, she's not a criminal. Why can someone not see that she could be Homeless or go Hungry? - Why wont DWP help her... when will they help her? - will she have to wait 10 years before someone writes off the money.

£50 a week. Just £50 a week people. Right here, right now, she is living on £50 a week.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sleepy wrote: »
    My Mum made a Huge mistake.
    I made a Huge mistake.

My Mum has no Money.
    I have no Money.

My Mum can get no more Money.
    I can not give her any Money.

My Mum is talking of Suicide to end it all.

How long has she had mental health problems? Did she have them in 2006 when she gave you the money?

It sounds like she is not getting money she could be, as suggested on this thread DLA is possibility.

It sounds from what you've said that your father lives near her (or is in contact in other ways), perhaps he would go with her to Citizens Advice?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Sleepy_2
    Options
    Fran wrote: »
    How long has she had mental health problems? Did she have them in 2006 when she gave you the money?

It sounds like she is not getting money she could be, as suggested on this thread DLA is possibility.

It sounds from what you've said that your father lives near her (or is in contact in other ways), perhaps he would go with her to Citizens Advice?

My has suffered from Severe Depression for many years, certainly before 2006. Why do you ask?

DLA - Is Severe Depression classed as a Mental Disability. Sorry I dont know.

My Dad lives in the same town as I do in Southport, my Mum lives on the East coast. Unfortunately the one person that they talked to at CAB said that she had Deliberately Deprived herself.
  • Dave30_2
    Dave30_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I think you both need to put your feelings aside and face this situation together as mother and son. Your mum needs all the support you can get her. That is a priority. Its not all dire if you compromise your positions. From what I gather this is a temporary period until your home is sold?. How much is your debt? Sounds like your family are not talking much, I'm I right?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [Your] Mum is receiving £50 each week to live on, she's not a criminal. Why can [you] not see that she could be Homeless or go Hungry? - Why wont [you] help her... when will [you] help her? - will she have to wait 10 years before [you repay] the money.

You have not explained why you are not working all the hours God sends to give your mother the extra £50 per week she needs.
  • Sleepy_2
    Options
    Dave30 wrote: »
    I think you both need to put your feelings aside and face this situation together as mother and son. Your mum needs all the support you can get her. That is a priority. Its not all dire if you compromise your positions. From what I gather this is a temporary period until your home is sold?. How much is your debt? Sounds like your family are not talking much, I'm I right?

I'm trying to do what I can. Unfortunately everytime my Mum builds herself up and asks for help she gets told that she has Deliberately Deprived herself - then in turn she blaims me for this mess (which I accept).

She has been told by one DWP person to "sue you son for the money", but on the next call another DWP person said "what a ridiculous suggestion to sue is, its obvious that your son does not have the money".
  • Sleepy_2
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    [Your] Mum is receiving £50 each week to live on, she's not a criminal. Why can [you] not see that she could be Homeless or go Hungry? - Why wont [you] help her... when will [you] help her? - will she have to wait 10 years before [you repay] the money.

You have not explained why you are not working all the hours God sends to give your mother the extra £50 per week she needs.

Do you know how frustrating it is to read your stupid post.

I am trying to do what I can, I am sending what I can and I have said this before.

If you're trying to provoke me then please stop.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did she appeal the decision saying she still had the £42k?

The DWP must legally apply the diminishing capital rule every 13 weeks, to reduce the amount they say she still has.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    How much equity do you have in the house?

If you have spent all that money on it there must be some equity.

Sorry but you seem convinced that the taxpayers should now support your mother when you have actually deprived her of every penny she had. You took the money, you sort your mother out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport