would you consider living apart for financial reasons ?

Options

Comments

• needawayout_2
    Options
    lisndai wrote: »
    Does anyone actually do this and does it work ? I was talking with my husband about our finances which are in a bit of a mess at the moment and right or wrong i made a fleeting comment about how much better off we would be living apart for a few months this would easily clear and sort our finances out an awful lot quicker than we could living together .

No and I think it's morally very wrong.
  • fuzzybear01
    fuzzybear01 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Prior to getting married me and baby lived apart from my partner at my mothers. I was advised by hmrc that I was right to claim as a single person as my partner was living in barracks in London while I was in Wales. I did this for four months and have no regrets as it is perfectly legal!
  • Emmenelle
    Options
    Prior to getting married me and baby lived apart from my partner at my mothers. I was advised by hmrc that I was right to claim as a single person as my partner was living in barracks in London while I was in Wales. I did this for four months and have no regrets as it is perfectly legal!

Yes, but surely the difference here is that you were apart anyway? You didn't live together then seperate purely for this financial gain.
    Wannabe Debt Reducing Machine
    May 2020 - Total Debt £29,348.13
    December 2020 £28,214.86
    May 2021 £24,860.64
  • lisndai
    lisndai Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    Ok ive just sat and read through this thread and first of all i want to appologise to anyone i may have offended that was not my intention .

I also dont think explained properly what i was getting at ... i did not say it was something i would do or am considering i did say that i made a fleeting comment to my husband ...the bit i didnt write was his reply to that which was quite simply he wouldnt like the idea for a number of reasons .

I did say by claiming benefits yes but what i actually meant by that was that during the conversation at the school they openly admitted they were claiming all benefits and stated exactly how much they got a week ...this is what shocked me and simply made me curious as to other peoples circumstances and opinions .

When my first marriage broke down i was single for a number of years with children however i worked fulltime and paid for absolutely everything this is why it suprised me how open and 'matter of fact ' these women were .

Yes our finances are in a bit of a mess but nothing different to many others i certainly did not say that i am planning on doing this and sponging scrounging draining ...or any other words used it was simply a case of my curiousity getting the better of me after the conversation at the school.

So i appologise again if i didnt cause offence and certainly didnt intend for some people to start ranting at each other .
    bitter...lol
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Running two houses, paying maintenance etc may make it more expensive anyway.
    This is the bit that has always puzzled me about these kind of stories.

To whoever said that the answers here were harsh and judgemental, when someone is, in effect, asking if they can dip into my family's money, I have a right to be judgemental.

OK I have now seen the OP's latest post and accept that she has been misunderstood.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Op why don't you give us your household income amount and we can look at any benefits you can claim. Are you in debt?
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    lisndai wrote: »
    Ok ive just sat and read through this thread and first of all i want to appologise to anyone i may have offended that was not my intention .

I also dont think explained properly what i was getting at ... i did not say it was something i would do or am considering i did say that i made a fleeting comment to my husband ...the bit i didnt write was his reply to that which was quite simply he wouldnt like the idea for a number of reasons .

I did say by claiming benefits yes but what i actually meant by that was that during the conversation at the school they openly admitted they were claiming all benefits and stated exactly how much they got a week ...this is what shocked me and simply made me curious as to other peoples circumstances and opinions .

When my first marriage broke down i was single for a number of years with children however i worked fulltime and paid for absolutely everything this is why it suprised me how open and 'matter of fact ' these women were .

Yes our finances are in a bit of a mess but nothing different to many others i certainly did not say that i am planning on doing this and sponging scrounging draining ...or any other words used it was simply a case of my curiousity getting the better of me after the conversation at the school.

So i appologise again if i didnt cause offence and certainly didnt intend for some people to start ranting at each other .

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I do stand by my comments, although I don't direct them at you.

I am just exasperated with the UK at the moment and feel that this country cannot sustain the benefits system the way it is, without it costing this, and the next generation a fortune. I do not have a problem with genuine benefit claimants.
  • ryouga
    ryouga Posts: 330 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of blaming the people blame the system that makes couples worse off than single people who themselves find it hard to survive.

So if 2 single people struggle to make ends meet how is giving them less money as a couple helping? within reason i.e less for bills in shared accomodation but not food etc.
  • nottslass_2
    nottslass_2 Posts: 1,765 Forumite
    Options
    Instead of living apart and claiming single person's benefits when they are not single, (which IS FRAUD as alwaysonthego has said repeatedly), the couple should get their finances in order by first of all going over to the Debt Free Wannabee and Old Style boards, or if it is more serious than that, by contacting one of the free debt counselling services such as CAB or CCCS.

This is not fraud (I'm not saying it morally right)As long as you can prove that you "are maintaining separate households" and not living together as man & wife, you have every legal right to Have a relationship/boyfriend/lover/be part of a couple - or whatever you want to call it.
    How on earth could anyone be found guilty, in a court of law, for the above ,when the two parties involved can prove that they are maintaining separate households,this can be quite easily proved with ,copies of rent/mortgage agreements,bills.TV licenses,car registration etc.The fact that this is a person that you choose to have "as part of your life"is irrelevant,as far as the laws concerned.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    nottslass wrote: »
    This is not fraud (I'm not saying it morally right)As long as you can prove that you "are maintaining separate households" and not living together as man & wife, you have every legal right to Have a relationship/boyfriend/lover/be part of a couple - or whatever you want to call it.
    How on earth could anyone be found guilty, in a court of law, for the above ,when the two parties involved can prove that they are maintaining separate households,this can be quite easily proved with ,copies of rent/mortgage agreements,bills.TV licenses,car registration etc.The fact that this is a person that you choose to have "as part of your life"is irrelevant,as far as the laws concerned.
    oh yes it is!!!!

The criteria is much more than proving you do not live together, I will not explain myself again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure