would you consider living apart for financial reasons ?

Options

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    lolababy wrote: »
    I suppose it comes to something when couples would be better off living apart than together. Sad situation.

Couples are not better off living seperately because they would be committing fraud if they claimed as single people when they are classed as a couple.
  • lolababy
    lolababy Posts: 723 Forumite
    Options
    The facts are that they would be financially better off even if its wrong.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    The facts are that they would be financially better off even if its wrong.
    The facts are they would be committing fraud!
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    shellsuit wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation bestpud, I know we had a little bit of a disagreement on here a few days ago, but I wouldn't wish a family break up on anyone as I know how heart breaking it is :(

OP I wouldn't do what you are thinking, not in a million years!

I'd rather have my family together and live on the breadline, than I would living apart and raking it in.

I'll say actually, if you want to do it and can live with it on your conscience, then go for it, BUT be prepared to then be classed as a scounger, because that's exactly what you will be. Sorry if that's harsh, but it's true.

Thanks.

I've had disagreements with a few people on here but, for me, it is always about their post and not them so I have never born a grudge yet. :D
  • lolababy
    Options
    By law you can live apart. It would not be fraud if your paying for a home on your own. There are couples who marry and never live together . Morally it may be wrong but lawfully its not.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    By law you can live apart. It would not be fraud if your paying for a home on your own. There are couples who marry and never live together . Morally it may be wrong but lawfully its not.

For the last time :rolleyes: if a couple wanted to live seperately and they are working and not claiming benefits as single people then that is fine.

If a couple live seperately but are still a couple, as in spend lots of time with one another, have joint financial commitments, go on holiday together, have children together etc etc then they are classed as a couple whether they are living together or not. If they claim benefits meant for single people then they are committing fraud.

You have not got a clue what you are talking about so stop talking clap trap.
  • 3plus1
    3plus1 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    My OH and I could save money by living with our respective parents (300 miles apart!) but we just don't want to. At the end of the day, it doesn't just boil down to money saving... relationships are important, sometimes fragile things, and you can't buy them. If you think living apart from your OH for a bit would save you money but put pressure on your relationship with each other and/or with your kids - I'd say it's not worth it.

The other issue to consider here, is that your idea of saving money seems to involve claiming benefits that don't apply to you. When I first started having to go away for business for months at a time, I asked the council if we would entitled to a single person's discount on our council tax whilst I was away. I was told that if the move was temporary and I knew I was coming back, then I couldn't get any help. We'd have to pay for two people even though only one would be living in our home during that period.

I guess this applies to all benefits - if you try to claim them knowing that your change in circumstances is purely a temporary thing, you're not entitled. It might seem like the easy option for you - more money to throw at your debt - but it's immoral, it'll make your family life difficult and you might potentially end up with a criminal record. Of course, you might not, but do you really want to take that risk?

If you and your OH get prosecuted over this, what's going to happen to your kids? I don't know if a spell in prison would be on the cards, but surely a conviction for fraud would damage both your abilities to get/keep a job and get food on the table for your children. I'm sure your children are the most important thing to you and you've only considered this 'idea' because you want to do the best by them, financially and otherwise. Unfortunately, the 'idea' is a dud.

I echo what others have said... the DFW board is great for getting your spending under control and coming up with some sort of action plan to make the future seem a bit less daunting. There might be other people out there, claiming benefits fraudulently and getting money from the State that you'd like to get too... but so what? Be the bigger person and don't try to get away with something wrong just because other people are doing so.
  • geekgirl
    geekgirl Posts: 998 Forumite
    Options
    No I would rather be skint and together rather than apart and a bit better off (and scared that I would be caught).
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    If this does not bring in enough money, what would be the next step. Have more kid's?You get more money that way, or you could always pretend your kids are disabled (this is evil in my opinion, but I know it happens) you get even more money for that.
    No it's not right, you shouldn't even consider it.
    Booo!!!
  • lolababy
    Options
    Under the law as it stands even couples can claim benefits whilst living apart. As long as they live apart in separate dwelling and can prove that they do not cohabit then its not seen as fraud.
    It becomes fraud under the law if the couple are really living together but saying that one of them live elsewhere and they claim benefits as single people.
    Now the question of it being moral to be still a couple but living on benefits in separate dwellings. Well thats down to your feelings on the matter . You can say its fraud but in the eyes of the law it is not.
    Now as for you saying that I do not have a clue and im talking claptrap thats your view but not one that is correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure