Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

February 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 146

New Post Advanced Search

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.6K replies 123.9K views

Replies

• Morning

Can I declare £322.72 for Feb so over budget, must do better.

I will be going for £300 again in March.

Many Thanks
    x
  • declaring overbudget at £356 thanks to oh going to asda, tesco and sainsburys and spending £100 on 'store cupboard essentials' Since when has £10 worth of finest cheese been store cupboard essentials. then he tells me that he hasnt actually got any meals to cook for this week. Im not the cook in my house so find it very diff to control budget.

Put me down for £340 next month so we can even out the overspend.
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • Hi all,

First time poster on Old style moneysaving,but regular reader!

(have made twinks hobnobs,delish!);)

Anyways, I am looking for the cheap meal threads but having searched high and low,am asking if you can point me in the right direction please.

We really need to cut down on our weekly shopping and have seen some great recipes on here. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 boys with healthy appetites! (actually they come home from school starving :rolleyes: )

I do a weekly shop and plan our meals for the week,which works the best for me. However i'm going this afternoon and need 9 meals! (which takes me to a week saturday)...

All info gratefully received.
    Many thanks!
  • FloxxieFloxxie Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having asked if you kind people could help me clear my cupboards of all and sundry, I have done an inventory but think it would probably be better if I started a new thread, otherwise I will take over this one with a long list of items which won't be of much interest to people unless they are geniuses at finding a use for sesame seeds and horseradish sauce :rotfl:

So I shall start a new thread and would really appreciate it if you could pop over and help me please!

P.S. Mrs M, I would like to go for £200 for March.

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi houseofboys,

These threads should give you some cheap meal ideas:

Cheapest recipes???

Meal for two for 50p. Suggestions?

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Feed 6 for £1.62

Cheapest meal

Your Cheapest Evening Meal.

cheap, easy family meals

Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest

Meal idea's under £1

Also it may be worth reading Martin's article on Supermarket Shopping It has lots of good advice and tips on reducing grocery shopping.

The best place on Old Style to get help with reducing your grocery bill is the Grocery Challenge thread where the regulars come up with fantastic ideas to save cash. I'll add your thread to that one later so that you can get some help.

Good luck with cutting back.

Pink
  • nickynoo08 wrote: »
    Morning everyone, just a quick question. Has anybody used sainsbury's home delivery service? Are they any good?, i've tried mrT's and Asda in the past. Had no probs with mrT's but asda got loads of stuff wrong so i'm a bit dubious.
    I've just been putting together my shopping list for next month and as we need to try and cut costs a bit more i thought i'd compare prices and products a bit more than usual and found that my money will go a lot further at sainsbury's than at mrT's when i usually go.

Thanks in advance
    This post is angelnikki's experiences of MrS delivery and she seemed to think MrT was easier/better (I hope she doesn't mind me copying this post :)).
    Floxxie wrote: »
    Having asked if you kind people could help me clear my cupboards of all and sundry, I have done an inventory but think it would probably be better if I started a new thread, otherwise I will take over this one with a long list of items which won't be of much interest to people unless they are geniuses at finding a use for sesame seeds and horseradish sauce :rotfl:

So I shall start a new thread and would really appreciate it if you could pop over and help me please!

P.S. Mrs M, I would like to go for £200 for March.

Floxxie
    Floxxie, you might be best to post your list on the store cupboard challenge thread (Pink or Penny would maybe merge you there anyway!).
    hth
    Well, contrary to my last post it seems I will be on here after all, seeing as I have tonsilitis :confused:, and won't be out doing all the things I had hoped to be doing the next week or so. One tonsil is huuuuge and sore and I have antibiotics to take. Got 2 loaves of reduced bread (Warburtons Wholemeal and Warburtons White Danish), 6 local yummy bread rolls, Warburtons tattie scones (mmmmmmmmm) and Elmwood chicken thighs in coop on way home. Also tv paper, rocky bars for DH (50p just now) and a reduced TI Choccie cake (to help me feel better as no energy to bake- not slept really for last two nights :confused:). There were about 10 loaves in total and lots of packs of chicken thighs and breasts reduced but TBH we don't need loads (and nowhere to freeze so stuck to what I new I could use/freeze- some other lucky person can get more bargains!).
    Total spent £6.75 plus the ~ £23 already spent yesterday brings us happily under budget this week (this money lasts til Wed but we won't need anything really before then except perhaps some milk if DS continues to guzzle it!).
    Ta ra all you GC'ers.
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only managed a £2 underspend for Feb so i think ive about pegged my budget right for us. Im going to try for £400 for March

got to do a list this afternoon for tomorrows shop i know im running short on a few staples so first shop could be a biggie:eek:
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Hi,
    Just a quickie to answer the Sainburys question....

I've used them with no problems at all - generally they turn up on time and have most if not all items I have requested (I do not accept substitutes). The fruit, veg and meat are all well within date and seem fresh enough.

The one good thing about them is that they give you a £10 voucher to use on the next shop if they are 1 min late! They also deliver in 1 hr time slots. If they are going to be late/early they ring and let you know in advance (and give you the voucher if they're late!)

I would recommend them and am very happy with their service.
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread for a while now and doing my own unofficial GC but would like to join you for March please. MrsM please put me down for £375 for me, DH, DS1, DD and DS2 plus our Spaniel.

Our month runs from 22nd to 21st so I've already spent some of March's budget with a big delivery from MrT. I also started using a milkman this week to avoid extra spending when I run out.

Have just purchased my first bottle of Stardrops so am looking forward to a blitz on the housework!

Coxy

Mar 09 GC - £375/£147.86
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • yipppeeeeonly £60.72 this month PLEASE PUT ME DOWN FOR £70.00 THIS MONTH.
    MAY NSD's