My mouse is driving me mad!

Options
Ally
Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
the ball, roller and right click are working fine ... but the left click (the most important one *rolls eyes*) isn't!!!

I am having to learn how to use the comp without the mouse and it is soooo time consuming!

Anyone have any idea about what the problem could be? Sometimes it works on 3 to 4 things in a row, sometimes it just won't work for about a minute or more!

I can't use smilies in this post 'cos it just takes to long and the silly mouse has to be clicked endless times to select one little thing!

It's not a wireless one ... so I am not sure whats wrong with it !!??!!

Thanks in advance guys ... if I am slow to respond ... it's the mouse's fault *grrr*
I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
:j :rotfl: :j

Comments

• intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Take out your ball and give it a clean, then scrape crap of the rollers with fingernail.

If no good buy an optical mouse.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Give it a clean but if it continues, the mouse might have had it's day.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    If you can, try it on a different PC, to prove it is a mouse problem, rather than software. Or, unscrew the bottom of the mouse, (usually there is a screw hidden under a label somewhere). Under each mouse button, there is a microswitch. Check that the mouse casing is aligned with the switch properly, and that the switch is clean. Try pressing the switch down with your fingers a few times and put it back together.

Failing that, a new mouse doesn't cost that much nowadays.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • GreenNotM
    GreenNotM Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the lil pressure pad under the button has worn out or there is something stopping the button from being depressed eg paper clip, bit of paper etc under the button.... till you get a new mouse (optical better then a roller)- if it is worn out and you can't find anything wrong with it -swop over the left/right mouse buttons in control panel .. and you can always type in the smilies - click the [more] and it will show what you need to type : D = :D etc ... :beer: = : beer : without s p a c e s . . .

Also turn the pc off and check your connections - trying it with pc turned on and powered may blow the ps/mouse port :mad: ... if usb mouse don't worry ....
    Rich people save then spend.
    Poor people spend then save what's left.
  • billy_the_kid_2
    Options
    Mice arent really designed to last long, with bits of thin bendy plastic they are bound to fail sooner or later. Optical mouse was a revalation after years with a ball.
  • Ally
    Ally Posts: 5,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    would look up the difference between an regular mouse and an optical one .... but it will take me ages! We have a wireless one, but I changed to this one 'cos the battery changing was a pain and not worth it!

right, off to give the mouse a clean up!! Thanks guys, will get to pressing the thanks button when I resolve this problem ... right now ... I'd be here all day trying to thank you all :D
    I can say whatever I like here ... 'cos no one can see me .. ner ner ner ner ner !!!....

How do you know I ain't sitting here butt naked?!?!

I thunk I've made you think for a minute!
    :j :rotfl: :j
  • tigermatt
    tigermatt Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Optical mouse is one with a light (usually red) beneath it and this is how it picks up the movement - the latest generation of mice.

Anyway try cleaning the mouse and if that doesn't work then get a new mouse or use your wireless one.
    Ally wrote:
    We have a wireless one, but I changed to this one 'cos the battery changing was a pain and not worth it!
    Were you using rechargeable batteries? If so then use non-rechargeables and remember not to use the USB charging lead. ;)
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ally, this is not a cure all but if you can deal with it you can reverse the left and right buttons. My computer/ mouse/ buttons/ switch primary and secondary buttons. Great if your left handed.

John
  • icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=42050

this is software to invert your mouse behaviour, don't know if it can help...
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    also you can get an optical mouse, that has a usb or ps2 connection, which you never need to charge and works just like normal except a lot quicker, without ever needing cleaning.

I have one which has a ps2 connection - (round end) and I never need to charge it, I would not like a charging mouse, too much hassle for me! Mine is just plug and go...
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure