PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Also, I would love to make recipies with sloes and elderflowers. Does anyone have any idea where you can buy them? There's not much chance of finding any near here; it would be easier to make concrete jam! ;)

I live in the Greater Manchester area, if that helps anyone.

Thanks once again.

Try Ebay ;)
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also, I would love to make recipies with sloes and elderflowers. Does anyone have any idea where you can buy them? There's not much chance of finding any near here; it would be easier to make concrete jam! ;)

I live in the Greater Manchester area, if that helps anyone.

Thanks once again.

There are lots of sloes in the parks in the areas around Manchester like Irlam and Wythenshawe, you just need to keep your eyes open as they aren't always that easy to spot from the path. Paths at the edges of Golf clubs are always a good bet as they clubs plant spiky things that keep people out!
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tpsjrm wrote: »
    Hi PositiveBalance,
    Only just read this and obviously too late for you, if you were mid-batch when you sent your query, but for anybody else chutney-making ........

Your re-cycled jars with lids should be put into a hot oven for at least 10 minutes (100degrees C minimum) to sterilize, so you've already worked out for yourself that any with plastic lids, like coffee jars, are no good! I've found, for chutney, don't bother with the wax disk, because they go all soggy and, as long as the metal lids are not rusty, inside, don't bother with the cellophane film either. As long as you get the hot metal lids onto the filled hot jars quickly, and screw them on tightly, then the chutney will keep perfectly. I use a clean drying-up cloth to do all the handling of the hot jars and lids. As the jars cool, you will hear each lid 'pop', as the air inside contracts and sucks the lid down with the vacuum force. Any that don't pop, I use first, as it means the seal isn't very effective.

Good luck!

Thanks for that. I washed them in the dishwasher and then bunged them in the oven. I wasn't too sure about the lids though, so I put the disks in and porosan covers over them. However, since then the elastic band has worked its way loose so the chutney has been exposed to the air. Any ideas on how to preserve it now, or is it too late?

Also, in the same vein, a friend has asked for a jar to take home on an plane. There's no way I can serve give it to her like that. I won't be able to put a lid on it now, will I?
    tpsjrm wrote: »
    Can't help with the sloes, Positive Balance, but Tesco sells Elderflower cordial, which goes well in all sorts of recipes. Give it a try!

There's a novel idea. How can you use cordial instead of the actual fruit?
    floyd wrote: »
    There are lots of sloes in the parks in the areas around Manchester like Irlam and Wythenshawe, you just need to keep your eyes open as they aren't always that easy to spot from the path. Paths at the edges of Golf clubs are always a good bet as they clubs plant spiky things that keep people out!

Good idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks! :)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 June 2013 at 1:53PM
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Try Ebay ;)

That's a GENIUS idea - why did I not think of that?! I always look for everything on Ebay, but didn't think of foodie products. Guess I thought there was some kind of rule or something.

And guess what they have? With links to companies that sell that kind of thing online. :D

Thanks! :j
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • clare64
    clare64 Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    Can you use a large stock pot ( as long as you do not overfill it) to make jam etc or will only a preserving pan do?
    If that is the case, where is the best place to buy a good, inexpensive preserving pan?
    Many thanks
    Clarexx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi CLARE you can make jam in any saucepan, casserole or stock pot as long as it is suitable to go on the hob. Preserving pans have a thicker bottom than most pans and help stop the jam from burning, but really if you keep stirring when it's cooking you should be fine. A good hardware shop or cook shop should have preserving pans for sale they are sometimes called Maslin Pans and perhaps you might find a bargain on E*ay, I even found one at a jumble sale for my DD a couple of years ago, but I think I was lucky, Cheers Lyn.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    clare64 wrote: »
    Can you use a large stock pot ( as long as you do not overfill it) to make jam etc or will only a preserving pan do?
    If that is the case, where is the best place to buy a good, inexpensive preserving pan?
    Many thanks
    Clarexx
    I just use a normal saucepan when making my pineapple jam as it is usually a small quantity and a lot less hassle to use the smaller pan.
    As Mrs LW says, just keep stirring during the boil and you should be OK :)

Ask on Freecycle for a preserving pan, you never know :D
  • clare64
    clare64 Posts: 689 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Lyn & torbrex - will look on Ebay for bargains but if I can not find one then the old stockpot will do!
    xx
  • tpsjrm
    tpsjrm Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    From PositiveBalance: However, since then the elastic band has worked its way loose so the chutney has been exposed to the air. Any ideas on how to preserve it now, or is it too late?

Also, in the same vein, a friend has asked for a jar to take home on an plane. There's no way I can serve give it to her like that. I won't be able to put a lid on it now, will I?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpsjrm viewpost.gif
    Can't help with the sloes, Positive Balance, but Tesco sells Elderflower cordial, which goes well in all sorts of recipes. Give it a try!

There's a novel idea. How can you use cordial instead of the actual fruit?
    Hi again Positive Balance. If your chutney has been exposed to the air, then, provided you act quickly, you can probably salvage it by putting it back into the saucepan and giving it another boiling for 5 minutes, before putting it in jars with lids that have been sterilized in the oven. (If your chutney seems too thick for another boiling, just add some vinegar or lemon juice or other fruit juice to make it a bit 'wetter', before boiling it up). Once you've done that, you will have a lidded one to give to your friend.

As for the elderflower cordial, just add it to the other ingredients to make whatever you wanted to e.g. apples, orange juice and zest, plus the elderflower cordial would make a great jam. No pectin though, so you need to use jam containing pectin, or bottled Certo, to make it set.

And don't worry too much about your chutney - when we were kids my mum often used to scrape the 'fur' off the top of her home-made jam, before making our 'butties'. We survived! :rotfl:
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    clare64 wrote: »
    ...where is the best place to buy a good, inexpensive preserving pan?
    Many thanks
    Clarexx

Wilkinsons sell them ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills