PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Preserver's Year

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    Rhubarb and strawberry jam, rhubarb and ginger jam, rhubarb and raspberry jam - all delicious.
    Rhubarb is a wonderful partner for so much other fruit. A few pots of jam, made with whatever's around or rtc punnets of plums/ peaches/nectarines will reward you every time.
    Next thing for DH - grow some:-)

He still hates strawberries, but the children and I don't mind - more for us :rotfl:

We are hoping to move soon, and the garden has rhubarb.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This year there are masses of blackberries around and they seem to be huge!

So I'm making bramble jelly...batch two underway as I type!

Plum (and damson jam) tip. Count the fruit in - and the stones out.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • moments_of_sanity
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    This year there are masses of blackberries around and they seem to be huge!

So I'm making bramble jelly...batch two underway as I type!

Plum (and damson jam) tip. Count the fruit in - and the stones out.

My DD and I picked 3 kilos at the weekend, they are in the woods but on a footpath, it looked like no one had picked any. We must have left another 25 kilos worth:eek:

I have frozen them at the minute as I only have castor sugar and no pectin so until I get some pennies they will have to stay there. As soon as I am able I will be making blackberry jam :D
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,567 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    moments_of_sanity - are there no rough apples/windfalls around there, esp as you speak of woods?

Plenty around here - just a rough chop then strain after boiling should make loads of pectin-y juice for you.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• homesteadchick
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    moments_of_sanity - are there no rough apples/windfalls around there, esp as you speak of woods?

Plenty around here - just a rough chop then strain after boiling should make loads of pectin-y juice for you.

What a useful tip! Thank you.
  • homesteadchick
    Options
    Elderberries are ripening here as well.

Great for jam, or syrop. It's great stuff for winter sniffles.
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi, hope someone can give me some advice about rhubarb.

Is it too late to pick rhubarb now for jam making? Also, I have heard that you should leave a quarter unpicked to encourage good growth next year. Is this true or can I pick it all?

Many thanks
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make rosehip syrup. And the time is now. ;-)
    You want them red but still firm. Once they feel squishy they're yuck.

:D

Very very high in Vit.C

Have you got a recipe for rosehip syrup please?
  • sKiTz-0
    sKiTz-0 Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    I made some rosehip syrup last year and still have some left as I haven't used it much. I think I like it best as a cordial. I did make some elderberry wine which should be ready for December, and the elderberry cordial was good too and gets better with age. I can't remember which rosehip syrup recipe I used, but a search on Google should find loads. I think it was from River Cottage, but not sure if I got it off the website or from one of the books. I've had plenty of blackberries and plums so far this year, but don't think I'll bother with rosehips considering how little I used the syrup

The problem I have this year is, the trees where I got most of my elderberries last year have been chopped down and I'm struggling to find anywhere that has enough to make another batch of wine and cordial :(
    This is WAY more fun than monopoly.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    plumduff55 wrote: »
    Hi, hope someone can give me some advice about rhubarb.

Is it too late to pick rhubarb now for jam making? Also, I have heard that you should leave a quarter unpicked to encourage good growth next year. Is this true or can I pick it all?

Many thanks

I notice nobody had replied to you.

I found a couple of links which might be useful (I'm going to bookmark them for when I grow some myself)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingrhubarb1.shtml
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-grow-rhubarb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure