PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My children are fed up with OS :(

Options

Comments

• HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Lillibet wrote:
    A smoothie maker is a blender with a tap on it. And the tap will get clogged up so often you won't use it anyway. Buy a cheap blender, or a juicer which will handle serious veggies if you think you can get them to drink carrot juce;).

carrot apple and kiwi is gorgeous (no, you don't have to peel the kiwi's as long as you don't mind it frothing up a bit)

actually, when we were on our last juicing kick we used carrots and apples as a base for nearly everything

sainsbury's has a really good value line and their bag full of 6-10 apples is only 68p if i remember correctly... you can even get granny smith though i find granny smith better for eating and the red or red/green apples better for juicing

carrots are so cheap too and it's a brilliant way of getting their goodnes, we're not big fans normally but i like them this way :T
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    I always plan a junky meal on Saturday nights which we eat like sluts on trays in front of the telly. .

oh math, you have no idea what horrible imagery that brings to my mind! :eek: where i'm from the only person ever referred to as a !!!!!! is a person that sleeps around a lot and is less than savoury all around... i so do NOT want to imagine you family like that, let alone what kind of eating style that would entail :eek: :rotfl:
    MATH wrote:
    My action plan would be (in no perticular order):

1. Use plenty of the food stuffs you know they like.
    2. Reduce the portion sizes, better to eat it and have seconds than struggle.
    3. Adopt an 'am I bovvered' attitude - let the rugrats starve (they won't)
    4. Always have a tasty OS pudding to follow to encourage them.

i do all of these and yes it does work very well indeed!

MATH wrote:
    6. Think up funny names for HM dishes. "Roadkill stew" and "Morgue off cuts" are two of our favourite dishes. hehehehe
    8: Tell them you are cooking something foul (like tripe or braised gizzard) then appear to change you mind and offer the original dish you were cooking anyway.

Good luck

yep, this works too! kids love gross stuff

i actually encourage my 4 year old daugther to play with her food if it gets her to eat it! i often stuff my mouth full of noodles leaving them hanging out and shake my head vigorously while making monster noises... that always gets her to eat up in her 'i'm a dinosaur mode' you wouldn't believe what dinosaurs eat at our house :rotfl:

also dh makes comments supposedly coming from her food like 'oh no, it's dark in here can you turn on the light?'
    wee small voice 'i don't like it in here, let me out' 'i don't want to die, let me go' etc etc then he'll check down her throat to 'see' the food etc she thinks it's hilarious!

we used to taunt her, her food would say 'oh that little girl is a pushover, she'd never eat us' and so on til she ate it all up :p
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    Show them supersizeme. As already mentioned, if they knew what was in those processed foods, they might change their eating habits.

If they are old enough to reason, tell them they'll end up getting fat, become diabetic, get bullied at school, have fewer friends, get discriminated at work and in life, die early etc..

If they carry it on in adult life, they'll probably pass the habit on to their own children as well.
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    Remeber you are the adult so behave like one and resort to emotional blackmail, threats, disception and tantrum throwing if necessary. :D

Do you mind if I borrow this as my parenting mantra for the rest of my life?

Is there a quote of the decade I can nominate you for? Post of the month seems totally inadequate somehow:dance:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    Think up funny names for HM dishes. "Roadkill stew" and "Morgue off cuts" are two of our favourite dishes. hehehehe

On Halloween I serve up "Worms and Vomit" aka Spag Bol :D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooo! Spag with a cheese sauce and diced peppers of each colour...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    Stick with it Black Saturn and they will come round or die of starvation:p I always plan a junky meal on Saturday nights which we eat like sluts on trays in front of the telly. The rest of the week they eat what I cook, at the table, using cutlery and napkin correctly or go without.

TBH I don't have many complaints cos they have been fed OS since being weaned (oh how grateful I am that they have never known any different) If they do complain I explain that they have the option of starving to death and tell a tale of how people lost in the desert have drunk their own wee and eaten dead snake just to stay alive, then add the sinister threat that the next meal may not be as apertising as the one before them. hehehehe They soon tuck in!

Remeber you are the adult so behave like one and resort to emotional blackmail, threats, disception and tantrum throwing if necessary. :D

My action plan would be (in no perticular order):

1. Use plenty of the food stuffs you know they like.
    2. Reduce the portion sizes, better to eat it and have seconds than struggle.
    3. Adopt an 'am I bovvered' attitude - let the rugrats starve (they won't)
    4. Always have a tasty OS pudding to follow to encourage them.
    5. Have a junky night and throw caution and dietry sense out the window.
    6. Think up funny names for HM dishes. "Roadkill stew" and "Morgue off cuts" are two of our favourite dishes. hehehehe
    7. Remind them every day of the agonising labour you suffered just to bring them into the world, add realistic screams and some writhing if necessary.
    8: Tell them you are cooking something foul (like tripe or braised gizzard) then appear to change you mind and offer the original dish you were cooking anyway.

Good luck

I think all us parents should copy out your action plan and follow it religiously!!!!! (i do like number 7!!!)
    Catherine xxx
  • Mr_Proctalgia
    Options
    Its a long time ago now but my two boys went through a very similar stage ( I think it is part of trying to learn how to be assertive) so the Ex and myself hit on a cunning plan - We went on strike, no cooking, no cleaning, no lifts, no ironing not anything in fact, we slobbed out like Rab C Nesbitt and Mary, after two weeks we won! Although they threatened to get the social services in......... I guess its hard growing up and we forget sometimes.

As an aside I too used to make awful food - Dead Fly Pie = Eccles Cakes - Eyeball and Snot pudding = Tapioca - Dead Mice = Pear Halves with chocolate ears - Slime and Cockroach pudding = Green Jelly with some sultanas in a jam jar - String and blood = Dyed spagetti with tomato sauce.

When No2 son was little we had convinced him that coconuts were in fact Gorilla Eggs and they laid them in nests they built in palm trees, he actually stood up in class and announced this fact to all the other kids, we got a VERY irate letter back from his teacher about that one :rotfl:
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I bought a breadmaker and mentioned that I was thinking of making my own pizza from scratch - base and topping -DD then 16 announced pompously "Well don't expect me to eat it, I like bought pizza with all the best and proper ingredients in it!"

That was only a few months ago and now they will not eat a shop bought pizza!

I also find that stuffed tortillas go down well as does pasta and toasted sandwiches (I got some toastabags so there is no fat added)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HOLsale wrote:
    oh math, you have no idea what horrible imagery that brings to my mind! :eek: where i'm from the only person ever referred to as a !!!!!! is a person that sleeps around a lot and is less than savoury all around...

hehehehe

It means that here too but is also used to describe anyone whose standards are not as high as they should be. Eating off trays is sluttish at chez MATH:D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure