Forum Home» Redundancy & Redundancy Planning

The redundancy board... what its all about - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The redundancy board... what its all about

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
45 replies 51.8K views

Replies

• WookeyWookey Forumite
    812 posts
    catmkcat wrote: »
    hello i work for a city council and they are going through a series of redundencies at the moment. on the redundency calculator they ask for your age. is this right and why should my age affect what i am entitled to??? i have been in my job for the same amount of time as someone older than me i should be offered the same amount of redundency!!!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    this is ageism!!! i thought this was against the law now? shoudlnt national and local governments be setting an example here and paying people on their length of service only? but the law allows this to happen. can anyone explain??

Statutory redundancy payments are based on several criteria, age is one of them. I believe the age part is based on the chance that someone who is older would have less chance of finding employment again and would be harder to reskill etc.

There is a guide to the relevant payments per age at the following link.http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page33157.html

Note that these are for Statutory redundancies only and are the basic amounts that everyone is entitled to, voluntary redundancy or civil service posts may well have enhanced terms which are better.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • If you keep doing what you've always done - you will keep getting what you've always got.
  • Sunrae_2Sunrae_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    I went into my local WHSmiths today at Pontefract and the staff seemed quieter than usual not their usual cheery selves so i asked what was wrong and they r facing redundancies it was announced Monday and the ones made redundant could b gone by the end of the month.
  • Some useful links, the bottom one is great.

Redundancy and leaving your job : Directgov - Employment

This is a great document..
    http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/facingredundancy.pdf
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • i was annoyed to find out from my mum, just how little my dad got when he was made redundant....which was after 44 years service. his employer went bust so he got £7000 from some government redundancy pay thing ( im not in the know)...anyway, my dad was so frustrated and found himself feeling he was on the scrap heap...he slowly hated life. Dad died at the very young age of 63 last year. Mum was almost thankful he went when he did, as he grew very unhappy with this country and the mess he could see us all ending up in, over the years.
    £7000 for 44 years plus service is rediculous....isnt it!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • We need to be especially careful now... it appears even white-collar jobs are no longer safe: http://money.sky.com/mp/features/news/2009/06/12/White-collar-job-losses-increasing.html
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • techmax76techmax76 Forumite
    120 posts
    I've been in the redundant situation which is I really don't like but I don't have any choice but to accept the fact and wait until I finally paid all my debts.
  • RedMatrixRedMatrix Forumite
    1 posts
    Okay, what is being "Redundant"? I take it it's a UK thing? Does it mean "fired","layed off" or otherwise removed from place of employment?
    ~Dave
  • fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sowgelder wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am being made redundant Sept 09 and will pay around £10K Tax on my Redundacy payment.
    I am 51 so cannot access my final salary pension until I am 55.
    Can I make an AVC (Additional Voluntary Contribution) into my Pension, or take out an ISA, for upto this amount.
    This way at least I get the money albeit in 4 years time.
    Surely better for me than the Tax man to have it?

Hi.

I'll put this in a new thread of it's own. More likely to get the help you need that way. :)

Here:
    > Tax on Redundancy Payment
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • mateypeepsmateypeeps Forumite
    166 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    catmkcat wrote: »
    hello i work for a city council and they are going through a series of redundencies at the moment. on the redundency calculator they ask for your age. is this right and why should my age affect what i am entitled to??? i have been in my job for the same amount of time as someone older than me i should be offered the same amount of redundency!!!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    this is ageism!!! i thought this was against the law now? shoudlnt national and local governments be setting an example here and paying people on their length of service only? but the law allows this to happen. can anyone explain??

As an older person (59) with no possibility of getting another well paid job again, now that Lloyds are chucking me out due to the Scottish-one-eyed-willy that shotgun-merged Lloyds with Hbos (and nearly sunk both because of it), I feel that I need more compensation, than someone that is young, fit, healthy and more likely to get a job again.

I can understand your anger, I would be too, if I was young again, and in the same situation.

Having a wife, 5 kids, no future job prospects (who wants to hire someone for just 7 years before mandatory retirement?), and a mortgage like a millstone round my neck,slowly drowning me in a sea of debt, given that, who needs more compensation financially for having their life taken away from them?

Me I feel.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support