Anything & Everything New York (PART 2) - [please search thread before posting]

Options

Comments

• M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    image3 wrote: »
    We are staying at the Crowne Plaza Newark for a few days and wondered what was the cheapest way to travel into Manhattan. The hotel offers a free shuttle bus to and from the airport so that helps. Any help would be appreciated

There is no cheaper way than free. My logic is that you want the cheapest way into Manhattan and someone is offering you a free shuttle bus.

The second cheapest way is to use the Subway. It'll cost $7.25 in total, which is made up by $5 for the airtrain and then $2.25 for the subway ride.

:confused:
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry for being vague:rolleyes:

Date: anytime from sat 28 August for next 14 days
    Duration: 7 days max in nyc
    Departure airports: Belfast or Dublin or london [but a connecting flights would be required]
    Hotel location: Comfortable within walking distance of the tourist attactions [cliche i know:rolleyes:]
    Budget : Absolute Max 1000 per person [please bear in mind any flights ive search are around 500 pounds, given the added premium/expense of dublin or belfast deptures] but cheaper would be better, obviously!!

Given my location i am very intersted in the poster above flights from belfast and hotel deal. Any further information OP?

One more thing, ive come across flights for 350 pounds with delta from dublin dept 31 aug. Whats delta like to fly with:confused:

TIA.... [i hope ive given enough info this time:o]

Aaah.. now we're talking.

When it comes to flights, the best bet is to get the cheapest. Delta seem to work out the cheapest for me each time now, and I've flown with them twice, and onto my third flight with them this coming September.

There are some offers on travel zoo which end on the 7th sept, so it might be worth nosying at those - http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/ - so if i search for you, and we look at a 31st Aug departure, if you got the Delta flight.. so $1507.80 for a reasonable priced hotel in Manhattan ($170 a night, then add tax on), works out at £930 for 7 nights. This is the deal for the Hotel Roger Williams, and the offer ends TODAY

You don't say how many people are staying in a room, so if we assume there are 2 people, then you're looking at £465, plus £350 for your flight.. that's only £815, so under your budget.

Now, £1000 budget per person, if you want seperate rooms, is tight for staying in Manhattan, as you're getting into the peak season (anything anywhere near the first week in September the prices shoot up!). Also, rooms are double, and they really don't do twin beds in NYC..

hope that helps

M
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pope_acute wrote: »
    £1400 for flights and 4 nights in westin hotel new york, Belfast to New York...

27th august till 31st 2009 , is this good value?

Booking for a 30th Birthday dont want to be ripped off....just looking for advice

2 people

I can't tell. I need to know how much the flights are individually, and then the hotel as a price. Thing is, if you're looking at travel agents etc etc, they bundle it all together to make it look good..

now, i'm staying 7 nights in NYC, (3 in brooklyn, 4 in manhattan) and on my own from Manchester, I've paid £1161. So add on another £400 for a flight, and i'm looking at £1561, call it £1600 for 7 NIGHTS, rather than your 4, in what probably is an overpriced hotel in midtown manhattan..

look at travelzoo - http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/ there are offers for rooms in new hotels, good hotels, great hotels starting cheap, and don't think that you must be in midtown, or anywhere near that godforsaken tourist trap they call times square
  • pdavies2004
    Options
    Hi - quick question about booking flights.

Am I allowed/ok to book flights throught the american aa.com site rather than the uk version as the american site has the flights I am looking for listed cheaper?

Thanks
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    as long as you read the ts and cs, and all the rules (and most probably be a us resident, with a us billing address), then go ahead..
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's a nice snippit for people.

Delta are now offering complimentary beer and wine on Transatlantic flights.

So, the idea of flying Virgin or BA now because booze is free, can now go out of the window if Delta are cheaper... wooohooo!
  • becky_rtw
    becky_rtw Posts: 8,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone really drink that much that it matters on flights anyway??
  • image3
    image3 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    markymoo wrote: »
    There is no cheaper way than free. My logic is that you want the cheapest way into Manhattan and someone is offering you a free shuttle bus.

The second cheapest way is to use the Subway. It'll cost $7.25 in total, which is made up by $5 for the airtrain and then $2.25 for the subway ride.

:confused:
    Thanks Markmoo - The free shuttle bus is from the Crowne Plaza back to Newark airport, so that leg is free, it was the journey into Manhattan I was querying, sorry I didn't make myself clear. Where do we get off the airtrain to connect to the subway ? :j
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    at $7 a drink, (so over £5) for a 330ml can, it was an absolute rip off.

I think when I went in March, i drank the plane dry.. ok, it was about an hour and a half before the flight landed, and they had run out of beer. I was sitting with some random people, and they were enjoying a wine or three... By the time the plane had run out of beer, I had about 7 or 8... in real terms, that is under 5 pints of beer... in 6 hours....

So yes, 8 cans of beer cost $56, that is a considerable saving of money!
  • M4RKM
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    image3 wrote: »
    Thanks Markmoo - The free shuttle bus is from the Crowne Plaza back to Newark airport, so that leg is free, it was the journey into Manhattan I was querying, sorry I didn't make myself clear. Where do we get off the airtrain to connect to the subway ? :j

Aaah.. ok. Well, the New York City Subway is exactly that, in NYC only. so you can't get the subway from Newark, which is in New Jersey.

What you'll need to do is get the airtrain to Newark International Airport Station. That'll cost you $5 each.

Then from there, you transfer to an NJ Transit or PATH Train, NJ Transit is probably a better choice as you're going to Penn Station.

Once on the train to New York Penn Station (careful, there is another Penn Station still in NJ, so you need to make sure you go to New York), you will then walk from there to the subway station, and go up to Times Square, and then find the hotel from there... I don't know exactly where it is, but if you use hopstop.com it should give you a good route..

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport