The Mortgage Free in Three - Take 2 challenge (MFiT-T2)

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All August overpayments are now done and dusted and with that the end of Year 1 of our 16 year plan. Balance now well below £153k.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Jonesy_Bonesy
    Options
    Hi All

Like to say a big hello to all in this thread, especially to some of the familiar names of the original MFi3 thread of which I was a member :)

I managed to get mortgage free for a short time, but have embarked on a good sized single storey extension and new open plan kitchen. We love our house, street, neighbours, and location and didn't want to move so are currently getting this work done so we can stay as the kids get bigger.

I've just been accepted for the HSBC tracker for base rate + 1.69% on a 60K mortgage with £99 set-up fee which I am really happy with.

The build will be complete in the next 2 weeks and then we need to decorate and furnish. Once all that is out of the way I need to knuckle down and start paying down again. My target is to knock £25K off before the end of the challenge.

Look forward to contributing to this thread, and being inspired by everyones motivation and efforts.

Cheers
    Jonesy Bonesy :beer:
    MFi3 T2 member 177
  • gerbiljo
    gerbiljo Posts: 848 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good luck Jonesy Bonesy

Done our big overpayment this month, our usual payment should take us to £82200 for the september update.

Well done everyone :)
    Mortgage November 2003 was £135k, but thanks to this website on 28/08/12 we became MORTGAGE FREE!
    Now just over 2 years we have taken on the challenge again! )(starting £237k Nov 2014) Current mortgage £232,399.82, current overpayment total £1550, years remaining= 17
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    its amazing how bills from no-where can set u back

taxi repair --£400
    entry security door council---£140--(druggie in stair has kicked door in 3 times)

its like every month something happens to me

im now a year behind challenge

feeling miserable
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • loopy-juice
    Options
    £41,920.35

Submitted today. Going to be around 3.5k down on my running total but I have an endownment coming out next July that will cover this shortfall and put me right back on track (even a little bit ahead)!
    12/12/12 Lets party!
    :beer:
  • curlygirl1971
    curlygirl1971 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    black_taxi wrote: »
    its amazing how bills from no-where can set u back

taxi repair --£400
    entry security door council---£140--(druggie in stair has kicked door in 3 times)

its like every month something happens to me

im now a year behind challenge

feeling miserable

Ah BlackTaxi that is rotten luck. But at least you are on a challenge. At least you are working at it. Things could be worse - you could be doing nothing at all - you could have made no gains whatsoever. You could be clueless about mortgages and consequently not OP'ing! Things change - you have had some rubbish luck in the past year (I think I remember previous posts?) but it's just one of those times and you never know what good things may just come your way also. We all wade through a river of crap some years (sometimes a bit longer) and it's tough to see the end, but keep your financial chin up.

My progress....not great....small amounts here and there.......better than nothing. Had a very horrendous gutter problem that's been getting worse for years - I kept asking people but the answers were either 'nah that can't be repaired' or 'hmmmm we'll need to put scaffolding up. Scaffolding is expensive you know.' But it needed doing as everytime it rained it was like my bedroom had been transported to a portal behind Niagra Falls. Brick work was suffering. The internal wall surface felt damp. Was beginning to think the Iron would start sparking if I plugged it in on that wall.

Anyway I noticed a van parked near my house 'Property Maintance including Guttering Repairs' The guy was doing some work for one of my friendlier neighbours. He saw me making a note of the number on the van 'Don't ring the office - they'll charge you the earth!' Cost me £40 and I drip no-more. What a relief. Just need the brickwork re-pointing now but hopefully my uncle (a retired brickie) can do that. It's not that I mind paying for work - I just don't know who to go to for these things and hate that ripped-off feeling you can get in the pit of your stomach.

Found a tenner in a carpark a month ago and my first thought as I picked it up was 'Oh an OP!!!' but after much internal tossing and turning about the note that was not mine to benefit from, I've decided it's going to the DEC for the Pakistani Flood appeal. This leaves me with nothing to OP into the mortgage this weekend - which would have been a nice treat over the Bank Holiday. What's the point of having a nice long weekend if you can't nip into the Bank and slip 'em a quick £20 and feel smug and gaze lovingly at the receipt. So am planning on raiding the piggybank. I have a bag of 20p's that are maturing nicely. It's around the £8.80 mark. I also have a nice bag-o-5's at £4.75. I don't use much cash so rarely have any meaningful change. Will do some begging and borrowing and delving into unsuspecting boyfriends pockets ;)
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thx curlygirl

im on challenge---your right

river of crap--cheered me up

goodluck
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • loopy-juice
    Options

Will do some begging and borrowing and delving into unsuspecting boyfriends pockets ;)
    :eek:

Some women are never satisfied ;)
    12/12/12 Lets party!
    :beer:
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Am in a quite positive mood as have brought my savings up to £20k so far and by the time my mortgage goes out next week and put some more savings in on before the update I'll be into the £24ks....

Am starting to dream that I may clear the mortgage by christmas 2011...but at moment still off work as having the chemo so no earnings from me but we are doing good...

know how you feel black taxi with paying stuff out as we had the pits last month and this month is the taxi insurance but have it ready now so will deal with that wednesday as need DH to drive me there.
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Hi Jonesy Bonesy

As you've noticed, lots of us original MFi3ers are here on this new version of the challenge.

Your extension sounds great - if you're happy where you are, it makes good sense to 'grow' the house for your own circumstances. We're now in our forever house, but no work was carreid out here for 20 years so we have lots of things to tackle.

A guy turned up yesterday and offered to do the drive, so although that wasn't urgent, we've had it done (finished within 24 hours). Next on our list is the en-suite (I don't do gold effect taps!) which needs considerable updating. Not sure how big the bill for that will be, we'll source our own 'stuff' and get the professionals to fit it all - should be fab when it's done.
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport