aaaaaahhhhhhh, someone please help

Options
13»

Comments

• Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There speaks someone who has never owned a listed property and had to deal with conservation officers.

From my experience, they were bureaucratic, jobsworth morons who did absolutely nothing to preserve original period features but simply took the line of least resistance and insisted on "like for like" replacement regardless of whether it has any architectural integrity. They would demand you replace a 1960's polystyrene lean to onto a 400 year old house if it was "like for like".
    Lol - have to agree with you there. My partner is a builder and a couple of years ago was renovating a town cottage which was approximately 200 years old. In the attic he found the old, original window which had been removed by the previous owner. He told the present owner he could restore the old sash window that he had found and reinstall it into the opening where a butt ugly 1970s window had been inserted. Yep, you've guessed it, the planners said no because they wanted to 'show the changing facade of the building'. Beggars belief doesn't it!
  • sashman
    sashman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ken68 you are right, a scottish company has make sealed units (two sheets of glass) vacum sealed with a gap of less than 1mm, so the thickness of the same as a laminated sheet.

In therory they will replace single glazing (3mm) with these units, but there are issues;

First is the cost, production is VERY limited and comes form Japan so it takes a while.

Second, its is float glass so purists will still say its not authentic like the drawn or plate glass of the victorian times

Thirdly weight effectively has doubled (3 to 6mm) and will require the boxes to be stripped so extra weights can be added to counterbalance the new glazing.

HOWEVER we like new developms and will watch this with interest as it is an option for those wishing to retain their windows.

I hear that Edingburgh insists on 10mm single glazing in their buildings.......not these slimlite units, Now thats ALOT of extra weight!!!!

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

• sashman
    sashman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Pont wrote: »
    Lol - have to agree with you there. My partner is a builder and a couple of years ago was renovating a town cottage which was approximately 200 years old. In the attic he found the old, original window which had been removed by the previous owner. He told the present owner he could restore the old sash window that he had found and reinstall it into the opening where a butt ugly 1970s window had been inserted. Yep, you've guessed it, the planners said no because they wanted to 'show the changing facade of the building'. Beggars belief doesn't it!

That is outragous! reinstating an original feature should be welcomed (even though I make great sash windows for replacement) especially if the newer window is an eyesore, an inappropriate casement for example.

TOP TIP. Do be aware that conservation officiers advice doesnt always have to be followed.

If you live in a normal house (not a flat ) that doesnt have any business connection, and its occupied by a single family, (not multi occupancy) then the owner can chose to ignore the advice, its not compulsory.

BUT do check it out legally , dont just take my word for it, there are other conditions that may affect your property, but do quetsion if their advice is manditory, most assume you'll comply.

sashman
    Buying quality goods which last, should be an investment that saves money. :T
    Buying cheap products which fail, wastes money and costs twice as much in the long run. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure