Nice towns and villages around Glasgow

Options

Comments

• mikki2d
    mikki2d Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bishopton is nice and so are Bridge of Weir, Houston and Lochwinnoch. Good road links with the ciry centre for most of them and train links at Lochwinnoch and Bishopton.
  • mooneynulson
    Options
    Neilston (small village) - less than half and hour away from glasgow & paisley with plenty of transport

two local primary schools
  • juicygirl
    Options
    What about Langbank/bishopton/Houston? Only about 1/2 hr from where you are just now?

Some people have mentioned Dumbarton and Helensburgh.In between them is Cardross which is also nice.

And Bearden & Milngavie which have already been mentioned.

All these have good train links to Glasgow.
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    t1gger wrote: »
    Hi hi,
    looking to buy a house in 2009 around Glasgow (anywhere around it) and I'm looking for suggestions for nice places. Criteria is basically
    - 1 hour max by train to Glasgow (I work from home but may need to commute in the future, don't want to drive every day)
    - clean and "safe"
    - good school(s)
    - not inner cityish
    We have just moved back to Scotland from London, I grew up in the Highlands so don't know around Glasgow that well. For an example, a place we love so far is Lanark. We'd like to find some more places though to keep our options open.
    Thanks and Happy New Year!

I would recommend Renfrewshire, plenty of small/medium villages, fairly good schools, close to transport, motorway & 2 bridges & plenty countryside. Try Bishopton, Langbank, Houston, Crosslee, Kilbarchan, Howwood, Bridge of Weir, Inchinnan, Lochwinnoch. :j
    Just spent many months house-hunting to downsize, have lived in this area for 30 years & really couldn't fault it, although we quite like Fintry, Aberfoyle area but a lot further away.
    East Renfrewshire, only country place would be Neilston for good transport.

Regards,

N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take a look at Stirling and Dunblane. Both have stations and are very nice :)
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • shirleymarye
    Options
    I live in Helensburgh and I have a Housing Assoc flat with a fantastic view of the Clyde. I was born in Nottingham and lived most of my life in London and Kent and moved here about 8 years ago.
    All I can say is that I don't care for the shops much in Helensburgh and prefer to go to Dumbarton for groceries.
    Lomond Shores is very nice but a tad expensive and Clydebank is OK for shopping. Can't understand why no decent supermarket in this town.
    By the way, only one petrol station here now,if they run out you have to go to Dumbarton or Arrochar for petrol or maybe Alexandria.
    Tesco have a Metro and an Express here and there is a Co-op which is dire for groceries ! I hate it !
    Rather be in Kent myself,which sounds a bit sad but I don't know many places in Scotland and there are probably much nicer places.
    By the way,don't get ill here,you may finish up having to go to Paisley for the hospital,nothing wrong with the hospital,it's very good its just the distance involved getting there, it's not easy if you haven't got your own car.
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    Look at East Renfrewshire esp Newton Mearns, Giffnock, Netherlee, Clarkston Busby and Eaglesham if you want tiny look at Uplawmoor -the county has the best schools in Scotland and all the rich folk up here are taking their kids out of private school and sending them to Mearns Castle High, Williamwood and St Ninians (RC).
    Great for links to town but far enough away not to feel Inner city! We get a lot of "country" smells - we're right on the edge of N Mearns- open country
    Lots of shopping opportunities for your missus in Ek and Silverburn Shopping centre but maybe you wouldn't like that!
    Trains and buses into town aplenty (train about 30 mins)
    Some incredibly expensive property but you can also get bargains in this economic climate, there are a lot of 1970's properties that are ripe for upgrading (which is what we're doing, slowly) that you can get for a decent price but there's also new developments that they now can't sell and are giving away great deals - like I've seen some that will pay all your bills for a year food, leccy, insurance petrol etc

Whatever you do don't think about Neilston - it's a DUMP! ( or Barrhead for that matter)
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    greyheid wrote: »
    am surprised know one has said my home town of paisley yet :eek:

Oooh I'm from Paisley too! It's not that bad really eh ;)

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    hieveryone wrote: »
    Oooh I'm from Paisley too! It's not that bad really eh ;)

Well they've destroyed the centre of Paisley but there's some really nice parts of the town to live in
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ^^ your right, I was in Paisley centre the other day for the first time in around 5 years and it was absolutely dire. To be honest it makes me embarrased almost to say I'm from there! I've been living in New York for a while and I phoned my mum and said to her I couldn't handle Paisley as I was now a city girl! lol

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport