The "thats another fine mess I got us into" and I'll get us out again diary!

Options

Comments

• hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aha, the squares......

Basically, I had a huge amount of debt - £100k at its worst which seems an impossible amount to repay. But repaying chunks of £50 wasn't so impossible.....

When my debt was down to about £50k, I decided that I needed a bit more motivation. Ultimately I want to move house, but need to clear my debt, and save (say another £50k) for a bigger deposit.

So, I made a grid of 2000 squares (just by making a table on a word document) and every time I either pay off £50 from the debt, or save £50, I colour in a square.

When the whole sheet is coloured in, that means I can seriously think about moving to my dream house :D

Obviously my debt and savings targets are quite big compared with most on here, so my 2000 squares is quite a lot to colour in, but those who have done similar things just adjust the number of squares or the "value" of each square to suit their own personal target.

It really does work, and I have a bizarre concoction of colours on my grid, with some very random patterns, but I take great delight in colouring in a square or two :D
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Twinkles08
    Options
    Thank you Hypno06 that's an inspired idea,I really like it-simple but effective!I love colouring in as well,what a bonus.I'm a bit of a kid at heart!Thanks for explaining.Eeek £100,000!!You must be so dedicated as you've made such progress ;)
    :female:Our 2 gorgeous little girls born 2006 and 2010
    First House Deposit - £90.00:j
    DFW Nerd Member 1143 ;)Orig debt app £12000.00 :eek:
    Total Joint Debt ( Mar 2012)£3208.25

• youareallhelpingme
    Options
    Hypno is definately a star of MSE and has motivated so many including me.

Thanks for explaining the squares Hypno - we have lurgies in the ME husehold and my head is fuzzy, :sad: - have taken a dose of Chocolate bourbons, highly recommended by the Dr!

small update on sig today, happy pad is happy too!!!!!!

oh, and it's PAYDAY :j

Me x
    One small step for ME, one giant leap for my family!

2015 - my Amazon Gift Certificate mini challenge - saving to buy small household electrical items.
    Total £9.12
  • youareallhelpingme
    Options
    phew, MSE crashed on me but my post remained!!!!

2015 - my Amazon Gift Certificate mini challenge - saving to buy small household electrical items.
    Total £9.12
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Payday for me too, today! Always a good day.....

I hope you soon feel better - keep eating those biccies, they truly do have medicinal properties!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • youareallhelpingme
    Options
    Is it really morning, feels like it should be bedtime???????????:confused:

Another small update on sig again today. I am doing each little update as I make a payment ( i could have added it to yesterday but that would be cheating:rolleyes: )

Update on my colleague - she had her wages paid elsewhere and has made her bank a creditor so a huge chunk is not taken immediately clearing arrears in charges etc - thank you MSE for that little tip! she has made a special agreement to catch up weekly on nursery fees and monthly on her rent. Now she just has to concentrate on staying healthy in pregancy and her 2 yo.

It is amazing what this site can do, just taking control is a big start in re-starting life. I wish I had found it 5 years ago, as the last year before admitting my problems I was using credit to pay for credit - i am guessing I would have been a good 10k less in debt.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sorry for waffle today, havent taken choc bourbon medicine yet - mmmmmmmmmmm chocolate.

HAPPY PANCAKE DAY!

Me x

Total £9.12
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,404 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on your colleague.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • youareallhelpingme
    Options
    Morning, I am currently eating Rice Crispies with far too much sugar!!!!

Small update on HAPPY PAD but still on target for 2009!! £2 going up nicely as we only ever spend in cash.

Have felt poorly for few days but still went to work as I don't qualify for sick pay. Much better today but still not feeling very motivated. Hope to be bac to normal soon, rather than just psychoticly high on med's from the chemist!!!!!

Take care all, it's FRIDAY!!

Me x

Total £9.12
  • youareallhelpingme
    Options
    Well its March, where is the year going?????????????

Posting the last payment to my council tax today with a thank you, and also a note seeing if we can go over 12 months for this coming year.

My target for the next three months is to get payments back to the right time within the month. Its really hard when I am paid monthly and DH is paid weekly but I'll get there.

Just seeing news about Jade Goody on GMTV - I can't imagine what she is going through - makes all this worrying about money seem pointless - all I have is a sore throat.

Spring bulbs are coming through and we've had lots of birds in the garden - doesn't it make you smile!

Me x

Total £9.12
  • youareallhelpingme
    Options
    Well, I haven't had time to post recently, work is going reallly well and also got some freebies on Friday for a new launch which are really tasty!! Very MSE.

Been feeling down but have given myself a kick up the backside and a pat on the back as the joint account bank statement came and when I checked it the balance was better than i had thought and the only charge is just over £6 OD interest, which with my new wages I hope to gradually work my way out of once the HP on the car is cleared in june.

Still working on getting payments back to the right times of the month but I know this will take time while also catching up stuff!!

Happy Pad will need an update this week, yippee!!!!!!!!

Me x

Total £9.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport