We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 April 2010 at 9:06PM
    Options
    Yes she needs to let them know so they can process the application as they can't do it before it's paid, the system won't let them.

At our bureau we submit all our applications before they are paid. This is in agreement that the client pays promptly (within 48hrs). We close the case as they leave with the bar code.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • princess1984
    Options
    Hello! My OH has sent his documents off to CCCS for a DRO, we received a letter saying his documents would be checked and he'd be contacted in approx 8 weeks time to complete the application form. Does anyone know if this application is filled out at their end or will we get sent the form to complete ourselves? Also can anyone give me a heads up on what's to be included on the application form so we can get everything ready? Thanks!
  • princess1984
    princess1984 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help you, my OH is going through the process himself, but it's good to know the time scale. We sent his forms off on 24th March, so looks like we'll be sorting out the DRO mid June if what they've said to you is anything to go by.
    Hello was looking for advice from people who have successfully gone through CCCS.

I put my paperwork in on 26th Feb, and was fully prepared for it to take 8 weeks which would take me to around 23rd April. I phoned up again today to check that everything was still on track as Im getting really anxious about the whole thing to be told its another 6weeksish so around 17th May. The woman on the phone said that my application was waiting for the admin to check all the paperwork before sending it on to a counseller. I know they are busy but it seems like an extremely long time. Once it gets past onto a counseller I dont go in another 3 month queue do I?
  • Godiva500
    Godiva500 Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, Coming to the end of my DRO next month. As many of you did, I opened a cashminder account with the co-op. Great account, but electron cards a pain. I assumed that after i was discharged i could change my account to a normal one if i wanted and get an ordinary debit card. I telephoned co-op to ask about this, and was told that they always go by experion details - which I assume will remain for 6 years. This means that although debts discharged, I am not able to have an ordinary account or normal debit card for another 6 years. Is this true?????
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Godiva500 wrote: »
    Hi all, Coming to the end of my DRO next month. As many of you did, I opened a cashminder account with the co-op. Great account, but electron cards a pain. I assumed that after i was discharged i could change my account to a normal one if i wanted and get an ordinary debit card. I telephoned co-op to ask about this, and was told that they always go by experion details - which I assume will remain for 6 years. This means that although debts discharged, I am not able to have an ordinary account or normal debit card for another 6 years. Is this true?????
    The details stay on file for 6 years yes. However, a DRO or being discharged from a DRO has no affect on your credit rating unless the bank concerned have specific rules which don't allow people with DROs to have normal bank accounts. Just talk to a different bank. It's not like bankruptcy where you simply can't have one and anything else is frozen by the OR.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • immoral_angeluk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello! My OH has sent his documents off to CCCS for a DRO, we received a letter saying his documents would be checked and he'd be contacted in approx 8 weeks time to complete the application form. Does anyone know if this application is filled out at their end or will we get sent the form to complete ourselves? Also can anyone give me a heads up on what's to be included on the application form so we can get everything ready? Thanks!
    Haven't got any experience of the CCCS waiting times myself, but you may want to contact your local CAB and see what their waiting times are like. At my bureau you're looking just the time it takes for the credit report to come back, 2-3 weeks.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • princess1984
    Options
    Haven't got any experience of the CCCS waiting times myself, but you may want to contact your local CAB and see what their waiting times are like. At my bureau you're looking just the time it takes for the credit report to come back, 2-3 weeks.

Thanks! We're not in any particular hurry, will stick with CCCS and see how it progresses. Will post here to inform anybody interested in the timescale. Any info on the application form would be useful please. Thanks!
  • surfstar75
    Options
    Hi i am about to be discharged from a DRO and i have been asked to submit my tax return. During the time the DRO was in order i did some self employed construction work, usually when i submit my tax return i am entiltled to a refund.

Would i still be entitled to a refund for overpayment of tax when the DRO was in order, if i submit the tax return having now been discharged......?

Thanks in advance
  • immoral_angeluk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks! We're not in any particular hurry, will stick with CCCS and see how it progresses. Will post here to inform anybody interested in the timescale. Any info on the application form would be useful please. Thanks!
    The application is all done online by the intermediary, they'll go through all of the info they needs and then do the application online for you. They'll then print you off a barcoded letter to go and pay at the post office and once it's paid it can be submitted.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • princess1984
    princess1984 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    The application is all done online by the intermediary, they'll go through all of the info they needs and then do the application online for you. They'll then print you off a barcoded letter to go and pay at the post office and once it's paid it can be submitted.

Thanks for that, do you know what info they need? eg when they call do I need to make sure I have any figures to hand or is it discussing your situation, why you're in debt etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure