We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elfieb wrote: »
    Seeing as you are a person in the know..........:)

Any idea what happens at the end of moratorium?
    Should I expect a letter, certificate of discharge of debts, anything like that?
    I know I wont disapear from the IS website for 3 months after the end of the order, but just wondering if anything "official" takkes place??
    As far as I'm aware you'll just drop off the register as and when. Have personally come across anything which has stated the end of the DRO but I'm not an intermediary, I'm an intermediary's assistant :D.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/pdfs/guidanceleafletspdf/iir.pdf
    DRO records stay on the register for 3 months after the moratorium has ended.

If the moratorium period is extended, the register is changed to show the expected date of the end of the moratorium. Details of the DRO are removed 3 months after that date.

If a DRO is withdrawn, the register is amended to show this. Details of the DRO are then removed 3 months after the DRO has been withdrawn.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • immoral_angeluk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pugsley29 wrote: »
    yes of course but they are still a creditor I would be giving preference to, thus invalidating any DRO I wanted to enter into.

I do consider this a priority debt as it is an overpayment (different than normal student loan) and they can take me to court I believe and put fee's onto it, it is repayable even if I not working, think I will have to contact the CAB.

This will not be going away with the DRO and will still need to be paid off slowly..
    Priority debts are dealt with in a different way to non priority. Paying extra to a priority creditor, in my experience, doesn't cause any problems but you should definitely talk to your caseworker about it.
    Student loans are considered priority as they have more powers to enforce payment than for example, credit cards, and they take money directly from your income.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Student loans are considered priority as they have more powers to enforce payment than for example, credit cards, and they take money directly from your income.

Only for the new style loans.

The old mortgage style loans are standard credit agreements, and you pay them back like any other credit. They can't take it from your wages, and SLC have no extra powers to enforce.

If arrears have been built up it sounds very likely that the loans in question are the older style ones.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    elfieb wrote: »
    Seeing as you are a person in the know..........:)

Any idea what happens at the end of moratorium?
    Should I expect a letter, certificate of discharge of debts, anything like that?
    I know I wont disapear from the IS website for 3 months after the end of the order, but just wondering if anything "official" takkes place??

I was about to ask that :) Mine ends in July and it can't cime fast enough. Just dreading them asking for statements and letters etc I will still have vanquis and cetelem to deal with after this but I should be fine.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pugsley29 wrote: »
    yes of course but they are still a creditor I would be giving preference to, thus invalidating any DRO I wanted to enter into.

I do consider this a priority debt as it is an overpayment (different than normal student loan) and they can take me to court I believe and put fee's onto it, it is repayable even if I not working, think I will have to contact the CAB.

This will not be going away with the DRO and will still need to be paid off slowly..

Hi,
    The question of a preference cannot arise in this instance. To count as a preference you must be making a substantial payment (or payments) with a view to improving that creditors position within a DRO.

You cannot improve the student loan companies position as they are excluded from the DRO process.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • sparkswillfly_2
    Options
    Hello was looking for advice from people who have successfully gone through CCCS.

I put my paperwork in on 26th Feb, and was fully prepared for it to take 8 weeks which would take me to around 23rd April. I phoned up again today to check that everything was still on track as Im getting really anxious about the whole thing to be told its another 6weeksish so around 17th May. The woman on the phone said that my application was waiting for the admin to check all the paperwork before sending it on to a counseller. I know they are busy but it seems like an extremely long time. Once it gets past onto a counseller I dont go in another 3 month queue do I?
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mum has just got her DRO payment through from the CAB. Once she takes it to the Post Office and pays the £90.00, what happens next? Does she need to get back in touch with the CAB to tell them she has paid, or will it all be done automatically? How long will it take for her to be totally free of being pestered by her creditors?
  • immoral_angeluk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Truegho wrote: »
    My mum has just got her DRO payment through from the CAB. Once she takes it to the Post Office and pays the £90.00, what happens next? Does she need to get back in touch with the CAB to tell them she has paid, or will it all be done automatically? How long will it take for her to be totally free of being pestered by her creditors?
    Yes she needs to let them know so they can process the application as they can't do it before it's paid, the system won't let them.
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Truegho wrote: »
    How long will it take for her to be totally free of being pestered by her creditors?

The applications are usually accepted in 24 hours, and on the website in 48.

Creditors may stilll pester but you can politely direct their attention to the new order, give them the reference number, and invite them to correspond with the OR at Plymouth :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure