Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Options
    The £50 is after bills, JSA amount is before bills.
  • drostudent
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    New trigger figures here:

Sorry to be dense, but what do trigger figures mean?

Are these the amounts you are able to claim as living expenditures or is this something else?

Cheers
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    drostudent wrote: »
    Sorry to be dense, but what do trigger figures mean?

Are these the amounts you are able to claim as living expenditures or is this something else?

Cheers

More information can be found here:

http://www.moneyadvicetrust.org/section.asp?sid=14
  • G8311374
    G8311374 Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I am about to start university next month, and am £10000 in debt. As my income is about to take a serious nose dive I want to apply for a DRO so I don't have to worry about my debts on top of university. When it comes to income is my NHS bursary, student loan and medical pension from the RAF considered as income, or is income purely from any part time work I can pick up? I am also considering going self employed doing catalogue delieveries etc for Betterware whilst at uni as the hours are flexible, I can't predict my income from this so how would this work out for me once I have a DRO as I imagine some months my income will be more than others? Also, can I apply for a DRO now before my income takes a nose dive or must I wait until my income has dropped?

Many thanks in advance.

helen xx
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I am about to start university next month, and am £10000 in debt. As my income is about to take a serious nose dive I want to apply for a DRO so I don't have to worry about my debts on top of university. When it comes to income is my NHS bursary, student loan and medical pension from the RAF considered as income, or is income purely from any part time work I can pick up? I am also considering going self employed doing catalogue delieveries etc for Betterware whilst at uni as the hours are flexible, I can't predict my income from this so how would this work out for me once I have a DRO as I imagine some months my income will be more than others? Also, can I apply for a DRO now before my income takes a nose dive or must I wait until my income has dropped?

Many thanks in advance.

helen xx

Hi,

All those you mentioned would count as income. If you cannot be sure how your income will be within the DRO then it is probably not appropriate and BR may be your answer, or DMP.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • CCCS_Alan
    CCCS_Alan Posts: 282 Organisation Representative
    Options

Many thanks in advance.

helen xx

Hi Helen

All of your incomes you have mentioned would be classed as income in a DRO.

If you were suitable for a DRO, and your surplus rose to over £50 per month in the 12 month moratorium period the DRO can be revoked. Then the creditor can apply all interest and charges due on the balances.

If your available surplus is currently over £50 you would be unable to apply for a DRO at this point.

To see what your possible options may have regarding your debts, you can try using our online advice facility Debt Remedy. Click here to go directly to Debt Remedy

Hope this helps

CCCS_Alan
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
  • ladyday
    ladyday Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if any knows if you can have a DRO whilst being named as an attorney acting under an Lasting Power of Attorney for Property and Affairs ? I know you cannot be an attorney for an LPA whilst an undischarged bankrupt or an interim bankrupt so does a DRO effect it at all ?
  • Long_Dark_Tunnel
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I have read pretty much all the posts in this thread and have picked up some very useful tips on obtaining a DRO, so thank you one and all!
    There is something I still need some clarification on.
    I work for a recruitment agency so my weekly income is erratic at best! Some weeks theres a ton of OT to do, sometimes I get 'asked' not to come in at all.
    As such my income can be between £130 - £290 p/wk, but my pay on a normal 37.5 hour week (contracted hours) with no OT is somewhere in the region of £180 p/wk.
    My problem is how can I can I calculate if I have a £50 or less surplus on such wildly fluctuating figures?
    I have calculated an average weekly income by adding the net pay from each week then divided that number by the amount of times I have been paid. I then got an average monthly income by multiplying the weekly figure by 52 then dividing by 12.
    Will this figure I have arrived at be acceptable on my SOA, or is it best just to put down my income based on my contracted hours, even though my payslips dont necessarily reflect this?
    I know they are going to want to look at my payslips so I dont want any discrepancies that could delay, or worse still, revoke my application!
    Any input regarding this would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Clairvoyant_2
    Clairvoyant_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2009 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Hi all

Im looking to do a DRO as my debts are under 8k.

All Debts are in my name.
    Seperate Bank Accounts from my wife.
    I own a car less than a £1000 (used for school run kids are at 2 different schools and looking for work)
    Im unemployed and have been for over 1 year (only get my stamp paid)
    Wife works part time
    Wife has car for work (home care) Value maybe £1500

CAB want to know about my wifes income and bills, and her car (in her name). As well as the House hold bills and all benefits.

Can they take my wifes car as she needs it and I need my car for school runs.

And why do they need to know her income and out goings the debts are mine not hers.

SOA is this the same as a BR. ( 2 Adults 2 Children)

Thanx in advance.

PS

Will they take into account my Pesion that I dont collect till Im 65 (I think). Its exempt with BR.
  • SouthCoast
    SouthCoast Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2009 at 3:18PM
    Options
    Will they take into account my Pesion that I dont collect till Im 65 (I think). Its exempt with BR.

You can't apply for a debt relief order if you:
    • own things of value or have savings of over £300
    • own a vehicle worth more than £1,000
    • have a private pension fund worth over £300.
    And:
    When you work out how much spare available income you've got, you must count all the money you've got coming into your household. This could include:
    • your salary or wages
    • welfare benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance
    • your pension
    • contributions from other household members
    • any rental income.
    You will be able to deduct a reasonable amount for your everyday needs. If the figure left over each month is less than £50 then you may be able to apply for a debt relief order if you meet the other conditions.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/life/debt/debt_relief_orders.htm
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure