pc world-pc performance scam

Options
1234568»

Comments

• saving_noobie
    Options
    daz_75 wrote: »
    £30 of margin, do you mean profit? If so i think they'd have gone bankrupt by now

Yes I do mean profit.

Funny you should say though .. they are fighting for their life to come out of this recession alive.

Now if you dont believe my estimate previously. Think about this, when I worked there during christmas of 2008, they were selling loads of those dell 15.4inch laptops and I mean LOADS. They were also selling them at a loss of about £20 a laptop. The only real way they make money is on addons such as insurance, software and bags etc.

Lots of companies work the same way but PC World attracts alot of bashing. Most of it fair and to be expected, but you do get a lot of naivity from people - hence my posting.

:)
  • daz_75
    Options
    Yes I do mean profit.

Funny you should say though .. they are fighting for their life to come out of this recession alive.

Now if you dont believe my estimate previously. Think about this, when I worked there during christmas of 2008, they were selling loads of those dell 15.4inch laptops and I mean LOADS. They were also selling them at a loss of about £20 a laptop. The only real way they make money is on addons such as insurance, software and bags etc.

Lots of companies work the same way but PC World attracts alot of bashing. Most of it fair and to be expected, but you do get a lot of naivity from people - hence my posting.

Personally i can't believe that, everytime you watch money type programs it's always the shops that have the big mark up to cover costs of building etc. Maybe they were just telling you that to make you sell more cover :D
  • saving_noobie
    Options
    Its called loss-leading. Like when you see a tesco advert for a great deal on a particular brand of booze or food. It gets you in there so they can entice you with other items.

Supermarkets don't need sales people to sell to you, places like PC World/Comet/Best Buy however wouldn't exist without hardneded won't take no to mean no type sales people.

I'm not saying that all the PC/Laptop hardware they sell are loss-leaders but there is not a lot of profit in it at the best of times apart from say high-end apple macs and the like.

• sleepee_2
    Options
    I actually stated at the time of purchase that I did not want PC Performance cover. On the receipt I still have, it clearly shows the manager giving me a discount of £8.99 as I would not purchase the computer unless he accepted it was not what I wanted.

A direct Debit was printed out also on the receipt and when I questioned this they stated it just happens automatically.

Stupid here did not keep check on the payments being taken and so I rang to cancel it.

3 years later...still taking the amounts due to stupidity on my part for not checking our account but feel quite sick that a company can do this after on more than one occasion making it quite clear we did not want the cover. So far they have refused to send me copies of whatever agreement I must have signed giving my authority and bank details.

Do I have a leg to stand on when it comes to getting anything done about this?
  • JRsrule
    JRsrule Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So far they have refused to send me copies of whatever agreement I must have signed giving my authority and bank details.

Do I have a leg to stand on when it comes to getting anything done about this?

____

There is something you can definitely do in a roundabout way. There is something called a 'Subject Access Request' which applies under the Data Protection Act of 1998. You have to pay (usually £10) and make clear what you want - the best thing is often to make it quite a broad request such as 'I require a copy of all information you hold on me (name) at this address (or addresses) from these dates (start and finish dates). They will probably tell you that you have to pay the £10 but they MUST give you everything including the copy of the signed contract, if one exists. They can remove information relating to other people, but not anything relating to you. Don't give them any kind of 'heads up' that you are going to ask for the info, send it in writing (preferably recorded delivery to the head office) and send it recorded delivery so you can prove it was signed for. The reason I say don't give them any kind of 'heads up' is because once the request is received by them, it is an offence to delete any of the data even in the interests of 'out of date' etc. Make sure you say it is a Subject Access Request and that it is made under the Data Protection Act.
    (I know this stuff, because I do it in my job!) They then have a maximum of 40 days to give you everything you have asked for, and if they don't then you have recourse to the Information Commissioner.

If they can't given you any paperwork which proves you signed up to a warranty then I would think it would give you some kind of leverage in a small claims court or similar, but maybe some other folk who know more about other laws might know.

I really hope that helps you.
    x
  • sleepee_2
    Options
    Thank you so much for your response I fear I may have inadvertantly given the heads up when responding to a recent email, where I state I would like all documentation you have regarding this as I wish to take the matter further :0(

But thank you very much for your time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport