pc world-pc performance scam

Options

Comments

• blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a PS3 from PC World not so long ago and took out the the cover, it was 2.99. Im glad i took it 'cos 6 months down the line it had packed in and they just swapped it for a brand new one. I believe if i didnt take it out i would have to deal with the manufacturer directly as it would have fallen within the 12 month manufacturer warranty and most retailers only offer a 28 day money back guarantee.

I also haggled and got the first 3 month cover for free.

Your statutory rights would have covered your broken PS3 when it was just six months old. The store might *say* they will only cover for the first 28 days, but this is nonsense - the law requires them to do more than that.

For any item you purchase, your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer - retailers often pull this "direct with manufacturer" line, but this is not what the law says. Any warranty from the manufacturer is in *addition* to what you are entitled to from the retailer - *not* instead of it.
  • Lil_Mothachucka
    Options
    For any item you purchase, your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer - retailers often pull this "direct with manufacturer" line, but this is not what the law says. Any warranty from the manufacturer is in *addition* to what you are entitled to from the retailer - *not* instead of it.

too bloody rite: :cool:
    It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.
    • For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).
    • After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

read more:
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html
    Sup'
  • No1
    No1 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    DJBenson wrote: »
    Maybe the "Acedemy" could tell you how to spell "Supposed" :D

Says it all really.....

However, this guy appears to have a conscience so thanks to him!
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    Options
    Shocking story! However there do see to be some bargain/good price laptops in the PC World sale online :)
  • Mr_Consumer_2
    Options
    I want to take issue with a number of the posts relating to PC World and PC Performance:

1. The £2.99 policy on a PS3 includes accidental damage not covered by any manufacturer or retailer guarantee. Furthermore even if the PS3 was faulty, and not damaged, the retailer, while certainly responsible, is perfectly entitled to service the product as they see fit (as long as this is 'reasonable') - this could mean a lengthy repair process not an instant 'swap-over' as received by the £2.99 customer. The product was clearly working initially hence the retailer is perfectly free to offer a repair. The 6 year clause is quite correct but is, like most things legal, a massively grey area which must take into account age, price paid, usage received etc. accordingly manufacturers guarantees are there to enable us to avoid a lengthy legal tightrope.

2. PC Performance can hardly be classed as a 'scam'. Unlike just about every other electrical retailer it offers monthly additional protection and support for your product with no ongoing commitment - if you don't want it, don't keep it. Most people actually CHOOSE not to take it, but many do and benefit from the assistance it offers - most of the problems people have with computers are not hardware related but simply user error; please remember as contributors to this forum you are hardly typical in terms of IT knowledge.

3. PC World staff are not on comission, but yes it is a business so it is hardly suprising that the staff should want to sell something - I don't think they should have to apologise for that.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Do they still have the £14.99 1M USB Cables in the doorway?

They act like a forcefield stopping me entering.
  • dnomyar
    dnomyar Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a PS3 from PC World not so long ago and took out the the cover, it was 2.99. Im glad i took it 'cos 6 months down the line it had packed in and they just swapped it for a brand new one. I believe if i didnt take it out i would have to deal with the manufacturer directly as it would have fallen within the 12 month manufacturer warranty and most retailers only offer a 28 day money back guarantee.

I also haggled and got the first 3 month cover for free.

Your 12 month guarantee is with who ever you purchased the item from (and is free) and is your choice as a consumer to deal with the manufacturor direct or the store direct. Big companies like PC world, currys, dixons, comet nearly always lie to you and tell you it is not there responsability but under the sales of goods act the shop you bought it from have to either refund, repair or replace. If it packs in sooner and the fault can be proved as being there when you bought it, you could be entitled to a full refund as "not fit for purpose". Also be aware that the extended waranty does not always get you a new replacement so read the small print. For 2.99 you cant grumble (was it insurance rather than warranty) but look up the sales of goods act and compare that before buying an extended garantee or insurance as in a lot of cases the warranty covers exactly what you could already be entitled to.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • ZeroG_2
    ZeroG_2 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I very rarely enter PC World these days unless I want something very quick (I work next door to one) and I know they have it in stock (Reserve on website). I'm often put off by the fact that most customer advisers I speak to actually have very little detailed knowledge about the products, they only seem to know what's written on the cards beside the equipment.

The other beef with them I have is I went for a job interview for PC Technician about 3 years ago. I passed the technical exam with a near perfect score, passed the 2nd exam which was like maths and reasoning and also passed a mulitple choice thing that sorta profiles you (they look for certain kinds of people). I then went for a third visit to an interview but most of their questions seemed to be aimed at sales/selling things which I thought was odd as it was a technician post I was applying for. Anyway I didn't get the job and I later found out from someone I know who worked there that they hired someone with a lot less technical knowledge but more sales experience. This confirmed to me that I wasn't the right "fit" for the role i.e. they want sales above all else.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sazlberry wrote: »
    :mad: I bought a computer from them just after Christmas and the sales assistant started to tell us about the cover I told him we didnt want it to which he replied I have to tell you about thins anyway and proceded to ramble on for 5 mins about the cover. Even worse than that he mumbled so badly we couldnt understand a word he was saying!. There service is also appaling. We had reserved the computer on line the day before, after being ignored for 15 mins in the store (at the reserve and collect bit) we were sent to speak to a man stood on a podium and had a ten minute wait there to then be told to go back to the origional place. Was very very annoying!
    Can I ask what store this was please?
    I was in PC world earlier today browsing their laptops, when I was inevitably approached by a shop assistant.
    In the ensueing conversation I was asked :-

1) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit.
    2) Had I heard of their pc performance service.
    3) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit. (yes, this isn't a typo - in the same conversation she asked exactly the same question twice.)

All this was before I had even chosen the product I was interested in!!!
    Other interesting quotes from the conversation:
    Welcome to "Fives", the new sales technique they HAVE to use which imo is pretty !!!!...

As it is there are some (but unfortunately few!) good PC World employees out there!
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • PopeSock
    PopeSock Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jakg wrote: »
    Can I ask what store this was please?Welcome to "Fives", the new sales technique they HAVE to use which imo is pretty !!!!...

It also came not too long after their previous sales technique, 'Milestones'. I'm not sure how they decided it was a good idea to spend loads of money on a new training plan after paying someone a load of money to develop their last one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure