pc world-pc performance scam

Options

Comments

• VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    VIJAY_FROM_KENT Posts: 2,126 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With an attitude (never mind the spelling and punctuation!) like that no wonder people don't like the service they receive in PC World! You don't even accept the fact that people are often pressure sold things they don't really need... Never mind... People don't just complain on forums like MSE for no reason! Often they have been fobbed off by the shop and so come on here for advice...
  • vixarooni
    vixarooni Posts: 4,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what i hate about this is that everyone is ganging up on the advisors. Theyre earning a wage and supporting a family (probably) which i prefer no end to people who wont even bother going to work.

My boyfriend worked at PC World and found it a tough place to work, people would be abusive and even violent towards the staff at times. He had targets to achieve for PC performance so he had no choice. Its like my work in retail, i have to ask people if they want to open a card all the time, if not i get in the poop.

To the man who called the sales advisor a robot, i mean come on. Thats just rude and un called for. I would love to be the person on the other end of whatever job you do and see how good you are at your job before you go boxing other people.
  • jaz_2
    jaz_2 Posts: 139 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2009 at 6:33PM
    Options
    trisg_2000 wrote: »
    ...if PC world or currys went bust as there would be nowhere which offer the level of service that they offer on the high street

Very true :wink:

Oh well, off to PC World we go - I need a USB lead and I've got £15 burning a hole in my pocket. I wonder how much the extended warranty will be? :rotfl:
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    Im sick of hearing how PC world or dixons groups try and rip people off, its rubbish. ive worked for PC world for over 3 years now and im currently training as a store manager, ive read many threads on this site about how the pc perfromance products that pc world sell are rip offs when actually there in place to bypass the manufacturers warranty so YOU dont have to deal with the issues the manufacturers give you if something goes wrong, WE DEAL WITH THAT EVERYDAY so YOU can walk in and pick up your machine whe fixed,....blah blah blah

Ok, a simple straightforward question about your post:-

You say that customers would have to deal with manufacturers; but that isn't true, customers have a contract with the retailer, not the manufacturer, so PC world have to do this anyway. So why are you lying?

Is it 'cos you are not trained properly? Or 'cos you are told to lie by PCWorld?

And if your presentation skills in the post say anything about PC World staff, it's that they are pretty poor. Sorry, but it's true.
  • trisg_2000
    trisg_2000 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 4 May 2009 at 11:56PM
    Options
    I had wrote the post at 1 am in the morning, i really wasn't paying to much attention to my punctuation but if it helps i will correct it for everyone who reads it. Im completely trained in trading standards, but many members of the public are not, if we send a PC off for repair under manufacturers warranty then A) you can wait a long long time to receive the unit back and after a years warranty then your waiting even longer for parts and B) if its software related such as a virus or spyware then they don't touch it, however PC performance products that are sold to customers will protect there data and also provide support for infected machines, on top of that it provides accidental damage cover without raising your home insurance premiums.... like i said before, if you don't want it then don't take it. I wouldn't waste my time on here lying to you guys and I'm offended that someone can call me a liar, i just think that sometimes you should give the guys who work at the stores a break, there working to help you not to make problems for you which would only end up as problems for themselves. And as for the service prices......Have you ever tried fixing your boiler?? NO. Well why not go through yellow pages and get some quotes......because the same thing applies to computers....If you don't know how to do it then you employ someone who does, what if a customer tries to install the Ram themselves and buys the wrong one....and ends up frying there new £1000 laptop? or you get home and cant set up you wireless router to get the emails that you need for a business meeting the next day??? All of a sudden that £90 for a wireless setup for 2 laptops, full router con-fig and also a printer installed on the network doesn't seem like a lot of money for the amount of time it can save you, Its Ok if you can do it yourself or know someone who is 100% qualified, but if your a complete novice then you will pay.....because £15 to install RAM into machine is worth it if something goes wrong. Im not trying to say that PC world is completely perfect, all im giving is another side to what appears to be a completely biased opinion from people out there who already seem to know what there doing on PC's. And if I'm honest, i'd buy a MAC over a PC any day.

And hears a few other prices from other retailers for services......

The Geek Squad - "Home Visits start from £99 and you don’t need to be signed up to a Geek Squad subscription to book one, but if you are you will get 20% off the total price of your visit."

Computer Call Out Ltd - "We charge a £30 call out fee. This covers the first hour of activity on site, then £30 per hour thereafter."

Residential IT - "Offers a competitive rate of £50/hr for homes and £75/hr for businesses."

Im sorry if there doesn't appear to be many high street branded names on that comparison I've given, but the reason why is because.....there isn't any.

P.s. I'd just like to say that if i come across as someone who has an attitude then I'm sorry, however, a lot of the threads on this site about this subject also contain remarks and comments that i take personally, so I apologize if i come across slightly brash on the subject.
  • bribrian
    bribrian Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Im sick of hearing how PC world or dixons groups try and rip people off, its rubbish. ive worked for PC world for over 3 years now and im currently training as a store manager.

I hope you learn your company's 'price match' policy, the last manager i encountered tried to tell me i was wrong. Needless to say he was quickly shown a printout of the company's policy on this & he looked very sheepish at the till in front of his staff..........:D
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 May 2009 at 11:03PM
    Options
    dontdoit wrote: »

This prices are stupidly high, and why people would even remotely consider using this service is beyond me. £15 to put a stick of ram into a machine
    Ok then - my GF has got a PC with 1GB of RAM on it and Vista, but it's a bit slow. She's got the RAM from play, it's in her hand - but now what. She doesn't even know where it goes !!!!!!!

Yes, it's a 5 min job - but need I remind you of the person who sanded the pins of his CPU to fit it in his PCI slot? Or the person who "converted" a brand new £350 (at the time) PCI-e 7800GTX to AGP using a hacksaw?

I've probably paid garages something stupid for simple job - heck I even paid £12 for a fitted watch battery on a cheap watch because at the end of the day I knew it was being done with the right bit, and by someone who knew their stuff...

I wouldn't call PC Performance a scam - on a Dell Mini 10 3 years is just £69 - that means if I wanted to I could take it anywhere with me (even in a ruck-sack etc) and if it breaks - get a new one collected and delivered to my home for free. Does that rock or what? That's not even including the data recovery and software support aspect...

I actually WANT PC Performance on my laptop (NC10 I got from Viking at the £239 misprice) but I can't do it as it's not PC World stock.
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • trisg_2000
    Options
    By saying "Blah blah blah" only adds to your complete lack of respect for someone with an opinion and please don't accuse me of lying. Many of the manufactures request to only deal with the customer and will refuse to speak to the store directly without the customer being present as the manufacturer in many cases will arrange a pick up and drop off service from the customers house hold after they go though basic trouble-shooting procedures to diagnose what is wrong with the machine as HARDWARE is only covered by the manufacturer...PC World will always deal with manufacturers warranty for the customer, no questions asked....But if you read what PC Performance is then you will realize that it isn't a extended warranty.
  • real1314
    Options
    By saying "Blah blah blah" only adds to your complete lack of respect for someone with an opinion and please don't accuse me of lying. Many of the manufactures request to only deal with the customer and will refuse to speak to the store directly without the customer being present as the manufacturer in many cases will arrange a pick up and drop off service from the customers house hold after they go though basic trouble-shooting procedures to diagnose what is wrong with the machine as HARDWARE is only covered by the manufacturer...PC World will always deal with manufacturers warranty for the customer, no questions asked....But if you read what PC Performance is then you will realize that it isn't a extended warranty.

If you could perhaps learn how to properly post a mesage, then I wouldn't have done the "blah blah blah" bit.

You say you are "trained in trading standards" but customers are not, however the fact remains that it is the retailers responsibility to sort out any problem with a product they sell. The customer does not have to deal with the manufacturer if they do not wish to.
    Your training is clearly lacking. Perhaps you have been trained by GC-PCs?
    You certainly seem to have a similar lack of real knowledge.
  • real1314
    Options
    Jakg wrote: »
    Yes, it's a 5 min job - but need I remind you of the person who sanded the pins of his CPU to fit it in his PCI slot? Or the person who "converted" a brand new £350 (at the time) PCI-e 7800GTX to AGP using a hacksaw?

Yeah, please remind me of them. never heard of that sort of thing being done myself. Sounds like an apocryphal tale from a training manual to me. :confused:

Do you work for PC World too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport