pc world-pc performance scam

Options

Comments

• Fat_Beagle
    Options
    I sympathise with all the posters on here.

I have just fired off an email advising PC World of legal action as they have failed to repair or replace my laptop as per the agreement that I took out.

In essence, they have called me a liar of how my laptop was damaged and will not pay out.

What galls me is that I worked for the company for a total of 7 years first as a part timer at uni and then for 5 years in their head office
  • Thibit
    Options
    In short I ws taken in too.
    The store rep & the security guard were in on it together (later speaking to the manager maybe her too?).
    I never sign anything without reading the document & somehow PC World Junction 9 Wednesbury managed to have my signature & date of signing for something I did not want???

This is how it happened: -

I bought a PC.
    I was offered the cover plan.
    I said no.
    The Operative called Jason (operative number 47) said he miss heard & entered the information but had cancelled the plan details.
    I was given some documentation & told not to worry about the cover plan on the reciept because it had been cancelled.
    I was approached by a security guard on leaving the store who requested I sign the 'release document' as proof of purchase / for PC Worlds records.

5 months later I noticed something wrong with my account.
    Cancell my account after 5 direct debits are taken from PC world.
    I ring up Sheffield to find out what was going on.
    Sheffield tell me to take up the issue with PC World Junction 9 Wednesbury.

I go to Junction 9 Wednesbury who aregue nothing was wrong.
    Junction 9 Wednesbury failed to provide me with proof of an actual signature on a document stating tht I had given th go ahead for a direct debit but did produce an interesting photocopy of a directdebit form that looked as though it had been doctored.
    I state to the manager that I was refusing to leave the store until I had my money back.
    In two hours or so I finally got what I wanted by: -

Telling the staff I was recording all conversations.
    Telling other potential customers that I had been scammed.

What interests me is how rude all the staff were even though they knew I was recording them???

What I have learned so far: -

Never shop at PC World even though they are the only PC outlet near my home.

Never sign for anything in a shop without looking under the document being signed even if by a security guard.

Check my bank accounts no matter if I only use them once a year.

IN SHORT PC WORLD JUNCTION 9 ARE OUT TO GET THAT SALE & MORE!!!

There was a time when shop assistants were just happy with a sale...Now with DGSI KPI they will do anything to screw customers over. That is PLCs for you...too big to really care.

I will breath now & listen to the funny recordings of rude staff at PC WORLD JUNCTION 9 WEDNESBURY.
  • topbargainhunter
    Options
    I can't say I'm surprised by this. I bought a laptop a few years ago from them which stopped working within 5 weeks! They refused to replace it and I had to wait almost a month for them to repair it. They changed the hard drive and lost all the photos I had on it. They had the cheek to insinuate that I'd broken it by downloading "stuff" from the internet. Their customer service is non existent, and their customer service desk had a queue a mile long every time I went in there to chase up my repair. I would never buy anything from them again on principle, no matter how much of a bargain it may be.
    Mortgage to clear asap! - [STRIKE]£148,874.38 [/STRIKE]as at 1 May 2013
    £79,176.55 May 2018
    £59,516.06 July 2019
    November 2020 £35,914.62
  • daz_75
    daz_75 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    john_davis wrote: »
    Thilbit you seem a bit simple, anybody in there right mind would notice a direct debit coming out of there account for the last five months no? did you sign the direct debit form ? (think you did :) and to state the persons name is a bit out of order as you in this instance are the one in the wrong as you were sold a proposition signed for it then after 5 months decided to complain about it but i gurantee if your broke or damaged your pc an then took it in to pc world you wouldn't have said "i didnt want pc performance" and also to record someone without there consent is against the law,you must have know that ...were ever you purchase your products is up to you but most of the people involved in this post are the minority imagine how many happy customers there are out there knowing that no matter what happens to the pc/laptop they are covered, i would sleep well knowing that...... one thing you shouldnt sleep well with is bad mouthing and naming someone who might have your address details !!! sleep well:rotfl:

John Davis
    Dealing With The Facts !!!!!

:huh: do you work for PC world or something

"Dealing with the facts" Shame you can't read the post properly has he said he'd told them he was recording them, might be worth reading the facts before trying to deal with none existent ones
    Telling the staff I was recording all conversations.
    "What interests me is how rude all the staff were even though they knew I was recording them???"

If you work for PC world i'd suggest saying things like this is a very bad idea, sounds like a threat to me
    one thing you shouldnt sleep well with is bad mouthing and naming someone who might have your address details !!! sleep well:rotfl:
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I normally agree that extended warranties are a waste of money and have refused them before from PC World etc as they normally add upto at least 25% of the total cost, sometimes upto 50%. But it has worked out recently for my mate, who took it out when he got his last PC.

His PC was coming upto 3 years old and just stopped powering on, called up the support line and they arranged for collection. They said it couldn't be fixed and so he got a voucher for £800 to spend on a new PC. His orginal PC cost £799 and would have been worth about £400 max now, so he didn't do too bad out of it.

As for PC World in general, well a few years ago, they were really overpriced and I would rarely shop with them.

But with the internet, they have changed and a lot of their prices are comparable. In addition in the case of something like blank CD/DVD's these things can be awkward to get delivered as someone has to be in, so quite often I don't mind paying an extra couple of quid in PC World or of course another computer shop.

EDIT..one golden rule I do always abide to, is to make sure I check and reserve online before going to PC World, quite often items can be cheaper that way.
  • donitz
    Options
    A few years ago I purchased a PC from PC World. I knew the exact one I wanted and informed the assistant (a young girl, maybe 21) that I'd like to purchase this PC. She went on to check if it was in stock (this irritates me, why have it on display if its not in stock!) and yes it was. She then went on to ask if I'd like the insurance for only £9.95 per month, with a pitch like 'If your keyboard breaks, we simply send you a new one!' I questioned how much a keyboard was and how often they break, to which she replied 'Keyboards start from around £12' which more or less made me think that if my keyboard broke I'd take my chances and buy a new one! She continued to push the insurance for about 5 minutes, and I kept saying I'm not interested! In the end I stated that if she mentions insurance again I'm leaving, I said it in a half joking manner....

As I was at the till, she asks again!!!! Am I sure I wouldnt like the insurance? And again the prepared speech! I just looked at her and said I was no longer interested in buying the £1250.00 worth of PC in the trolley, and left.

I often wonder how she explained this to her manager?
  • Oldbiggles
    Options
    donitz wrote: »
    She continued to push the insurance for about 5 minutes, and I kept saying I'm not interested! In the end I stated that if she mentions insurance again I'm leaving, I said it in a half joking manner....

As I was at the till, she asks again!!!! Am I sure I wouldnt like the insurance? And again the prepared speech! I just looked at her and said I was no longer interested in buying the £1250.00 worth of PC in the trolley, and left.

Well done! :T

They must get too much commission on the sale of insurance, which makes you wonder what the true worth is.
    Trying to learn something new every day.

;)
  • saving_noobie
    Options
    donitz wrote: »
    A few years ago I purchased a PC from PC World. I knew the exact one I wanted and informed the assistant (a young girl, maybe 21) that I'd like to purchase this PC. She went on to check if it was in stock (this irritates me, why have it on display if its not in stock!) and yes it was. She then went on to ask if I'd like the insurance for only £9.95 per month, with a pitch like 'If your keyboard breaks, we simply send you a new one!' I questioned how much a keyboard was and how often they break, to which she replied 'Keyboards start from around £12' which more or less made me think that if my keyboard broke I'd take my chances and buy a new one! She continued to push the insurance for about 5 minutes, and I kept saying I'm not interested! In the end I stated that if she mentions insurance again I'm leaving, I said it in a half joking manner....

I used to work in PC World, so I find these kinds of posts quite amusing. What you might find interesting, is that this girl was probably relieved (YES I did just use the word relieved) that you walked.

The reason I say this is simple. Staff in DSG are under constant pressure from the management to sell attachments on items like base units and laptops. There is relatively little pressure to make money, their business plan is simple - sell addons and the margin will come.

You speak of £1250 worth of pc you were going to buy. I would estimate about £30 of margin for PC World. Then look at how many they would have made if you took out the insurance. Your talking ALOT more depending on you not cancelling it when you get home.

So... I would imagine she would have had less fun explaining your purchase to her manager than your decision not to purchase. IN FACT I would hazard a guess that the management would have applauded her persistence and determination to do her job as to the specification.

:)
  • blueberrypie
    Options
    I used to work in PC World, so I find these kinds of posts quite amusing. What you might find interesting, is that this girl was probably relieved (YES I did just use the word relieved) that you walked.

So... I would imagine she would have had less fun explaining your purchase to her manager than your decision not to purchase. IN FACT I would hazard a guess that the management would have applauded her persistence and determination to do her job as to the specification.

It's a funny kind of sales job where you get praised for not selling anything, and where your job specification is "make the customer so !!!!ed off he walks away with his money still in his pocket".
  • daz_75
    daz_75 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The reason I say this is simple. Staff in DSG are under constant pressure from the management to sell attachments on items like base units and laptops. There is relatively little pressure to make money, their business plan is simple - sell addons and the margin will come.

You speak of £1250 worth of pc you were going to buy. I would estimate about £30 of margin for PC World. Then look at how many they would have made if you took out the insurance. Your talking ALOT more depending on you not cancelling it when you get home.

:)

£30 of margin, do you mean profit? If so i think they'd have gone bankrupt by now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure