We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Las Vegas thread and MSE guide 2009

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    luci wrote: »
    What do you mean by missing something?

Yes I agree that Vegas shows are well over-priced, but going to several shows is part of our Vegas experience.

I used to be a member of the theatre group and went very regularly. That only stopped when I got in the brochure for the following 3 months, noted the shows I wanted to see and fortunately totalled it up before calling to book the tickets. It was over £300 so I cut back a bit. At least that was for 3 months entertainment and not just 2 weeks.
    Sorry, i meant am i missing something by not going to shows?
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    photome wrote: »
    Sorry, i meant am i missing something by not going to shows?

Only if you think you would enjoy them.

As ferf said, different things have value to people. We wouldn't dream of playing the dollar slots, but others wouldn't entertain the penny ones. It just happens that we both enjoy shows.

Up until now I haven't really thought about the total we spend on shows even though we see 5 or 6 each trip. I only see them in isolation. I think it's because we are going to see so many this time that I thought about the total cost.

It has made me think twice, but we will still see them all unless we have a change of heart on the day for a couple we are booking once we're there.

You're a long time dead and there are no pockets in shrouds. Having lost my best friend to cancer 5 years ago it made me realise that you have to live for now and let tomorrow take care of itself.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    FloozyLime wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I had looked at Flamingo, but can't seem to get a good price. We are staying Sat - Thurs. Can't seem to find any promo codes.

Maybe have a look at the Friends & Family offer.

http://www.harrahs.com/VegasVacation/index.html

It may take full payment at the time of booking based on experiences of those here, but does say that it's refundable.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Teachertim wrote: »
    apologies if this info is already here, but where is a good site to buy cheap show tickets from ? Ideally would like tickets for a cirque show.

Travelzoo does a good job compiling special offers for shows here - it changes regularly:

http://shows.travelzoo.com/las-vegas-shows/

For most Cirque shows (you don't say which) you can usually find discounts of 25-35% by signing up for Cirque Club (free) and clicking on exclusive offers which will take you straight to the box office website.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/clubcirque/landing

They don't do Cirque shows but Goldstar does have quite a few discounts available.

http://www.goldstar.com/events/browse/89109
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    The Fremont street experience
    Booked car hire in Vegas with Dollar. Virgin's Platinum cover on a full size 4 door car. Does anybody else have any experience of hiring with Dollar from their main McCarran site or experience of being charged extra for what they thought they were getting in the price?

Hate arriving tired at a destination to be coerced into paying for additional insurance, drivers or a car upgrade. The Platinum cover is supposed to cover for additional drivers (there are 3 of us) and a full tank of gas so we aren't supposed to have to fill it up when we drop it off on our return.

Any thoughts or tips?
    Lemme guess......VirginDollar Platinum insurance is about £25 a day.......thru CH3000 you could get a car rental with insurance for about the same cost if not less.....most people in the know never pick up the VirginDollar car as they have organised their own for less.

Anyhow, they will offer you additional insurances "just to be safe" eg tyre damage insurance, breakdown insurance, lose your car keys insurance.......I never take those ones. Theyll also offer an upgrade of course.....
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    (pinched from flyertalk) Nice for those who are planning to see the show anyway
    1) Treasure Island
    2) Mystere 15 Years of Fame Offer
    3) Valid- Email did not state expiration date.
    4) Offer 1: Stay one night, buy two $95 Mystère tickets and get an additional night FREE
    5) Offer 2: Stay one night, buy four $95 Mystère tickets and get two additional nights FREE
    6) Call 800-944-7444 and mention Mystère 15 Years of Fame to book today!

http://treasureisland.com/pages/prom...aspx?code=MYOF

I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • funkyfin2000
    funkyfin2000 Posts: 649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Just to say we have hired thru usrentacar.co.uk

Paid a £50 deposit when we booked back in Sept, they took the rest of payment today and have forgotted we have paid a deposit! Cheeky !!!!!!s!

So will have to get on the blower Monday to sort it out!

Watch out! usrentacar.co.uk!

Rich
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    one more vote for them (on the poll) and The Bellagio Fountains hit a century! :)

landslide!

(incidently, saw about this on a TV program... you tried it yet stoneman:
    http://www.riosecco.net/layout9.asp?id=604&page=32616

:D)
  • FloozyLime
    FloozyLime Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    Maybe have a look at the Friends & Family offer.

http://www.harrahs.com/VegasVacation/index.html

It may take full payment at the time of booking based on experiences of those here, but does say that it's refundable.

Have tried the link, bt think there is something wrong with their site this morning, keeps coming up error, will try later. Can anybody book on Friends & Family?

Thanks for your help
  • FloozyLime
    FloozyLime Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    sew109 wrote: »
    I did not like planet hollywood (though it was Aladdin when I stayed there) its juts not for me and the pool is not evry good. I love the MGM and that would be my choice for that budget every day of the week

Didnt realise I would be able to get MGM for £300? We are staying Sat-Thurs so its pushing the price up a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure