We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Las Vegas thread and MSE guide 2009

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    luci wrote: »
    Well I did do the email while logged into my TR account, but haven't received a reply yet.

I was just counting up the total for the shows we are intending seeing and it came to $1000 (£700)! Am I wise? I tend to treat every trip to Vegas as if it will be my last.

How much? Am I missing something here?

I have been to Vegas lots and only seen one show...Mamma Mia. We are thinking of the deal to see the Blue man Group.

Is it just me or do others think Vegas shows are overpriced.

Just to add we go to the Theatre regularly in the UK
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Fremont street experience
    photome wrote: »

I have been to Vegas lots and only seen one show...Mamma Mia. We are thinking of the deal to see the Blue man Group.

Yes they are overpriced, im going back in a couple of weeks and am stunned at some of the prices.

Added to that im back again in May for the Hatton fight which has cost a small fortune.

Then back again in Sept - i was looking at Elton John (i saw him in Vegas last year and he was amazing) this time though the tickets have gone up massively.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains

What do you mean by missing something?

Yes I agree that Vegas shows are well over-priced, but going to several shows is part of our Vegas experience.

I used to be a member of the theatre group and went very regularly. That only stopped when I got in the brochure for the following 3 months, noted the shows I wanted to see and fortunately totalled it up before calling to book the tickets. It was over £300 so I cut back a bit. At least that was for 3 months entertainment and not just 2 weeks.
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains

It's a relative thing I think - depends what has value to you...we've now seen everything we want to see (except Elton John and as yet I cannot make myself commit to buying tickets I'm not happy with so keep checking). Things like Cirque shows are expensive, but when you consider the cost of the theatre and number of performers, it's more understandable and we've always felt like they were worth it - others would disagree. In general we won't see Broadway type shows in Vegas as we can usually see them in London for the same price or less, and since most times in Vegas they cut the running time to 90 minutes, we'd rather see it in London...like BMG we got £20 tickets from lastminute.com - were sat about 8 or 9 rows from the stage and even got to be part of the show. Thought about seeing it again in Vegas as I know they are different in each city, but the prices put us off.

It's probably like gambling...some (like us) see it as entertainment and spend what we think is fair for that entertainment...others thing gambling is a waste of money and would think we were crazy for spending what we do. Great thing about Vegas is there's something for (almost) everyone. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Booked car hire in Vegas with Dollar. Virgin's Platinum cover on a full size 4 door car. Does anybody else have any experience of hiring with Dollar from their main McCarran site or experience of being charged extra for what they thought they were getting in the price?

Hate arriving tired at a destination to be coerced into paying for additional insurance, drivers or a car upgrade. The Platinum cover is supposed to cover for additional drivers (there are 3 of us) and a full tank of gas so we aren't supposed to have to fill it up when we drop it off on our return.

Any thoughts or tips?
    Debt free (apart from mortgage)
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Booked car hire in Vegas with Dollar. Virgin's Platinum cover on a full size 4 door car. Does anybody else have any experience of hiring with Dollar from their main McCarran site or experience of being charged extra for what they thought they were getting in the price?

Hate arriving tired at a destination to be coerced into paying for additional insurance, drivers or a car upgrade. The Platinum cover is supposed to cover for additional drivers (there are 3 of us) and a full tank of gas so we aren't supposed to have to fill it up when we drop it off on our return.

Any thoughts or tips?

They'll almost always try to sell you something extra, just point out that you've got a fully-inclusive package...they may try it on with the whole 'but you would still have to pay for the car for the time it's out of service' thing but I think most who rent with fully inclusive deals will be fine...though I shudder to think what Virgin charges for that if their holiday packages are anything to go by.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • FloozyLime
    FloozyLime Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    Thanks for that. I had looked at Flamingo, but can't seem to get a good price. We are staying Sat - Thurs. Can't seem to find any promo codes.
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    I had booked a car with RentalCarGroup in January but the price for a compact 4 door was the same as a full size with Virgin booked this week. Paid extra for the Platinum as it includes UMP and add'l drivers and the fuel option. I inevitably pay extra for these when I arrive so wanted to be able to know exactly what I was going to pay without hidden extras when I arrive.
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    The Bellagio Fountains
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    They'll almost always try to sell you something extra, just point out that you've got a fully-inclusive package...they may try it on with the whole 'but you would still have to pay for the car for the time it's out of service' thing but I think most who rent with fully inclusive deals will be fine...though I shudder to think what Virgin charges for that if their holiday packages are anything to go by.

and you're right about Virgin Holidays being expensive. I've booked a whole holiday for 3 people for the same price Virgin charges for 1 person.
  • Teachertim
    Teachertim Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    apologies if this info is already here, but where is a good site to buy cheap show tickets from ? Ideally would like tickets for a cirque show.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure