The Crazy £100 Clothes Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello again & a big welcome to Hay, little_miss_moneysaver & lilly81 too :D .

Fear not girls;

I tested out this challenge with my dear friends on the single & in debt board who, like me are all big fans of shopping :o so the challenge only includes clothes; not underwear, shoes or accessories. The Lula Hula Dictionary definition of 'accessories' is : belts, bags, gloves, hats, sunglasses, scarves & jewellery or anything that you wouldnt wear without clothes 'under normal circumstances' ;) .

lilly81 - Brilliant plan for your events :A , that's exactly the kind of thing we want to achieve, & in the past I would have automatically bought 3 new outfits for. For me those 'outfits' would have comprised dress, shoes, bag & probably jewellery too :o . I spent the entire 2009 budget on a dress for my sister's wedding 4 years ago & guess how many times it's been worn since . . . :rolleyes:

Right, I'm off to add membership numbers & the total to spend onto the first post. Any money spent will have to be declared & taken off the total :eek: .
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    I do and I don't want to do this! I will though - £100 it is. Will have to go back to the complete-a-challenge challenge, as anything I post there MUST be done, otherwise I'll slink away from this and pretend I've never seen it!

I'll go for £100 each for the family (me, DH, DS 4yrs, DS 9mths).

Look out for the TK Maxx final clearance week coming up towards the end of Jan as loads of stuff gets reduced to silly prices, and you can come away with piles of designer stuff reduced to 30p and £1 from £100+.

Maybe we can all keep posting tips of super-bargains on here, such as massive sales, online deals, or good spots we see on Ebay?
  • JaneLiz
    JaneLiz Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think I spend that much anyway - but maybe I do? I am a teenage girl after all ;) Although it isn't MY money, I'm going to include clothing (not necessities) that I ask for my parents to buy me too because I'm sure they have better things to spend their money on.
    Sealed Pot challenge #508
    Crazy £100 Clothes challenge #11 - £24.50/£100 (£91 in 2009 :))
  • pandapaws
    pandapaws Posts: 2,119 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone wanting cheap kids clothes, but really nice ones, there's a fab 'deal' available through Vertbaudet at the moment: £10 off a £10 spend and free delivery... i.e. free stuff!

Excludes 'happy price', sale reduced items and web exclusives. Enter code 2719 at checkout, click the 'new customer' box every time. There aren't many £10 items but there are lots of things for £11 so you pay just £1 for those.

There's a chance they may cancel some orders, but worth a gamble, nothing to lose. I've had loads from them in the past - you can register as a new customer lots of times! Beware, sizes can be VERY small so order bigger than you think you need.

Anyone else?!
  • blackbelle_2
    Options
    I think I need to join this - I have been buying waaaaaay more clothes/handbags/shoes than I need for some time now.

Yesterday I totted up my credit card debt - a substantial proportion of which is down to clothes purchases - and while I have a good job and can afford the repayments, it has to stop, NOW.

Also have developed a bad habit of buying clothes too small with the aim of slimming into them! :rolleyes: If only I can lose the weight in 2009 - another goal - then I will have loads of clothes to wear. :j

I'll be spending my budget on essentials only, picked up from the likes of Primark, TK Maxx and Sainsburys Clothing Sale.

Good luck everyone!!!
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Having just spent 50 quid on George at Asda online, I think I need this challenge.

Blimey. thats less then a 10 a month.

Well I have loads of skirts for work, some causal tops.... but not much in the going out way of things.

hmmmm. but I only go out Fri after work (in work clothes) and on the rare occasions I have things to go to I am sure I can figure stuff out.

yep I am IN!

100 quid 50 quid emergencies.

cheers Lula hula great idea

xxxxxxxxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • urg123
    urg123 Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even as I type I'm not sure I want to do this!

But you are right - I have a full wardrobe full of perfectly good clothes that I want to slim in to. I have to start to get rid of some of these if I want to make space for BF to move in.

£100 for the year it is then. I'm off to update my spreadsheet.

URG x x
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm scared of this challenge, but I think I'm in....

I am going to New Look tomorrow to see if I can pick up a couple of pairs of work trousers in the sales before 2009 starts properly :rotfl:

To my knowledge, I don't have any weddings etc to go to this year, so I should be able to get away with using my existing "night out" dresses. I think that this will be doable, expecially as I don't have to include shoes and accessories!! I am going to set myself a personal budget of £100 for these items as well, as I don't think about how much I spend on shoes/earrings/handbags. I should be reheeling my shoes not buying new ones etc.

Good luck fellow thrifty shoppers :D
  • chocaholic110
    Options
    Hmmm... I think I need to join this. Not that I probably spend loads on clothes - but I do go through phases of buying stuff and only wearing it once. Plus I spend far too much on the kids - specifically DD and DS2. So I'll aim for £100 each for OH, DS1 and myself and £50 each for DD and DS2 as they each have loads of stuff in their wardrobes and loads more that I'm waiting for them to grow into.
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just wanted to wish everyone well on this one, I won't be joining in as I am due baby 3 in March and am planning on finishing off my weight loss of 3stone after that...

BUT I just want to say this is definitely do-able as I only bought myself 1 pair of jeans last year - £18, and a pair of shoes for work - £12..... This year I bought a lot of large stretchy clothes from Primark (to see me through pregnancy) and spent less than £100 too.....

Good Luck everyone.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure