Free ebooks for anyone with an electronic reader

Options

Comments

• Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    thanks, makes sense to be here
  • sowen
    Options
    Hi! This is my first post (although I've been a long time fan of this forum!).
    I love e-books and I have a collection of links to share. Don't think I'm allowed to post links yet, but I will try to write them with spaces.
    The first one I thought about is sci-fi author Charles Stross' blog. He provides free links to some of his own books:
    www . antipope . org / charlie /blog-static / fiction / online-fiction-by-charles-stro . html
    (please remove the spaces to be able to follow the link)
    I've recently read Accelerando (available above), and I just couldn't put it down. Highly recommended for sci-fi fans!
  • sowen
    Options
    Here's a long list of other (legal) links with free ebooks:

www . e-book . com . au / freebooks . htm#4
  • sowen
    Options
    More links for ebooks (including contemporary/classics):
    www . foxglove . co . uk / free_online_novels . html

Free ebooks available under a Creative Commons license (fiction/nonfiction):
    wiki . creativecommons . org / Books
  • mickymoney
    Options
    Asa new proud owner of a Sony reader I am delighted to see thousands of classics free but pretty upset at the idea of paying 60-75% of full book price of newly published books for my reader. Surely this is not reasonable or good business? It will encourage a whole illegal supply route sooner or later just as the greed for music downloads did.
    How about buy the paper book for full price + 10% and get a e-version too?
    Or e-book at 25% of full price with discount off paper book if bought later?
  • Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    On the previous posters commentss, if you own the paper copy of a book, is it illegal to download an electronic copy from a file sharing site?

Also, for those new to the Sony reader i can recommend calibre to convert most formats into the reader friendly e-pub format.
  • sowen
    Options
    The last links that I have for the moment :)

Free ebooks on Amazon:
    Go to www . amazon. com, search for Amazon Shorts, then sort the list by Price: Low to High. They have a few free PDF ebooks for download (you need to have an Amazon account).

Many subjects (educational and others):
    www . learnoutloud . com / Free-Audio-Video

Free romance books online:
    www . publicbookshelf . com

Free fiction - New Yorker magazine - short stories, a few famous writers, and the site has lots of other interesting content (podcasts, for instance):
    www . newyorker . com / fiction / features / search
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2014 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Well Almost.

Just a couple of titles on offer but it'll give you an idea of how the Kindle works.

Go HERE for the selection (3x) and HERE for the kindle application to run on your PC.

Possibly more titles to follow as the .COM site offers far more than this but ONLY to the US.

Official MoneySavingExpert Insert: Amazon's offering a wealth of ebooks for the Kindle free. To see the collection go to the Amazon page. Great spot rizla01!

While this thread's from 2010, we've checked (on Tue 14 Jan 2014) and the link to the free ebooks is still working.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great. there is a free Kindle app for Android mobiles.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure