Free ebooks for anyone with an electronic reader

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• kyelaaputri
    Options
    Thanks again for the blog article . Much thanks again. Great.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I heard that authors get less than a pound royalties per book. Or if
    http://www.societyofauthors.org/soa-news/societys-latest-recommendations-e-books
    ...Is to be believed, 15%-25% of sale value.
    Plus you pay 20% VAT.

I have an ereader but will only start using it seriously once the above inefficient/unfair situation improves.

Meanwhile I borrow real books from my Library - get some value from the council tax, great up to date titles too. Can even rent DVDs from the library much cheaper than renting online movies and get subtitles.
    Ebooks are wildly overpriced is the main issue. And the system is designed to discourage passing your book on after you've read it. Opposite of real books.

So how much do authors receive per loan-out of a physical library book? Pence is my guess. But by increasing literacy and introducing authors to readers I guess the net effect of lending libraries benefits authors a lot. I think that home music copying had a similar effect on musicians, loads of folks who were addicted home tapers in their youth grew up to own a massive purchased music library and often repurchased in a new format.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since I last downloaded amazon free books to my wife's kindle, the site seems to have changed a bit, I'm seeing "kindle unlimited" on many of the books, which seems to suggest they need paying

Does anyone know of an email from amazon that lists free books on a daily/weekly basis please?. I'm sure there is one, but can't find the link.
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    Since I last downloaded amazon free books to my wife's kindle, the site seems to have changed a bit, I'm seeing "kindle unlimited" on many of the books, which seems to suggest they need paying

Does anyone know of an email from amazon that lists free books on a daily/weekly basis please?. I'm sure there is one, but can't find the link.

TRY THIS ONE

http://uk.freereadfeed.com/?t=today&gd=list&c=362247031%2C362264031%2C362827031&l=lo
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will give your recommendation the once over tomorrow thanks.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys, any other free book sites for kindle books you could recommend, as I have exhausted amazon?
    Amazon have cottoned on and nearly all free books come as a series, and after the first, they want money for the next, and first never has a conclusion, which Is horrible .:beer:
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    Amazon have cottoned on and nearly all free books come as a series, and after the first, they want money for the next, and first never has a conclusion, which Is horrible .:beer:
    You mean the authors have cottoned on... They aren't writing the books as a public service y'know. In many cases, you can get the first book free on Amazon, then the second book free (or super cheap) from the author's website and if you are hooked on the series, you pay for the next one. It's long been common in the SF world to write trilogies and series to keep the readership paying - what puts a lot of people off is when a plot that was only enough for a long novel got padded out and split into a trilogy of short ones because publishers realised they could often get three lots of £4.99 rather than one of £7.99. Doing it with eBooks rather than paperbacks gives them the flexibility of making it zero, 0.99 and £3.99 and still making a profit because the unit cost of producing an extra copy is so much lower.

Once you get onto an author's mailing list - you usually get recommendations to others in the same genre which will give you more options (though after a while, you end up having gone round a circle back to the person you started with). Maybe best to use a spare/throwaway e-mail as some of them will send you 2 or 3 e-mails a week.
    I need to think of something new here...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure