PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• gtx
    gtx Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    had a bit of a nightmare budget wise already |£133 into feb's money - hopefully all i'm going to need from now on is fruit and veg though.

hope everyone is well

gtx

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Just popping in to update the lists.....

MoneyQueen - Last month we added a section at the top of the list for a few of us who have started and "annual" budget..... would you like to be added to that bit ?
    I have decided to have an annual budget so I can take advantage of bargains and offers -to bulk buy when things are on offer too ......

right -off to update ...see you all over in Feb soon
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi evryone I dont really post on here but do follow the plan as much as I can, have got some great ideas from you all Thanks, Now Please can someone tell me how to get on the Feb challenge page, sorry I am so silly but I have searched and cant find it
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mummyyof5

here you go.... this is the feb thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1449317
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Third week of my January challenge, and I am sure I will go a bit over budget this month atm only have just over a tenner in my purse and thats not going to last me until 12 Feb, so will have to detour to the bank to get some more cash out.
    Had a lot of extra expence this month as I had visitors for a few days, so budget gets blown a bit ,still never mind, still vastly under what I was spending last September then it was around £50 per week !!Onwards and upwards
  • fatcattaff
    Options
    Just updated my signature. Overspent a little, but I know where I went wrong. I've got to go spend more today too as we have a playdate with a lad who specifically wants Pizza Express pizza. I wouldn't normally pander, but he's a lovely lad and we don't have him around often.

So....I'll come in about £15 over in all. Can't wait to start again in Feb though.

Oh...and bargain hunting has flagged up some shocking prices for me this month that I wouldn't even have blinked at in 08. Somerfields are charging £1.35 for a standard cucumber at the moment. £1.35!!! And I was shocked at £1 in Mr S's! Aldi's here I come!
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March £320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Options
    My month ended this Monday, but as I had very little time on the computer recently, I am only able to pop on to declare now - £218.58 which is pretty amazing for us, considering that included several unplanned-for trips out for horrendously overpriced fruit and "things in packets" for DD, as well as the other half stocking up on cheap Tiger beer :D

On the downside, the stock cupboards have gone rather Mother Hubbard, which means a big shop on Saturday (agh - hate these !) and having to be rather careful when meal planning, rather than resting on my laurels and busting the February budget...

Once again, thanks to all for inspiration, support, and generally just for being there - it's all so much easire when you know you are not alone !
  • Free_in_Three
    Options
    Hi All
    I am on the annual challenge but am declaring £380.03 for January. My monthly budget is £200 excluding dec so I am over. I have used up some Mr S vouchers and taken advantage of some good offers and have enough:

Soap powder for 12 months
    DW tablets for 6 months
    Meat for 2 months
    Potatoes for 2 months
    Frozen veg for 2 months
    Bread flour and yeast for 2 months
    Toiletries for a good 6 months and some for 12 months
    Dog food tins for 6 weeks

I am looking forward to being under £200 for Feb to make up the stocking up overspend.

Well done to everyone under and keep at it for those over. I have learnt so much and saved so much doing this challenge that I have completely changed the way I shop and cook.

Good luck for Feb

Free x
    Annual GC £2500/£486.79 for 2 adults and 2 dogs
    Savings Target 2009 Lloyds Act £6000/£1200 Jars & pig for Christmas and holidays
  • mummy2mygirls
    Options
    Hello everyone been to the martket this morning and spent £14 so now a little over what i should spend in the mth but as im on the annual budget i hope to level this out next mth....

Going to be getting a big shop delivered for next week so that will add to the total and then i hope i will only need to do little shops over the mth...... thats the plan anyway as i dont want to be pushing the heavy trolly round anymore till after baby has come....
    GC: Nov: £60.22/£450 Oct: £338.48/£450, July: £363.05/£450, June £447.98/£500
    £2 savers No68: £104/£100 :j
    :jmummy to: 8yr, 5yr, 3yr, 2yr, 1yr. No6 Due Mar 2013 My world.:j
  • little_miss_thrifty
    Options
    Hi All!!:hello:

Haven't been around for a little while, but i have been sticking to my food budget. As i am not going to be doing any shopping until February hits, i thought i would round off my January figure now.

For the month of January, out of a £300 budget, we spent £218.76!!!!:T
    Again, we have put that towards overpaying the mortgage, so should have about £300 to overpay this month.

I am really pleased with this and i still have a freezer full of items and the fridge still has yoghurts, milk and marg. I will just have to buy some fruit and veg in a few days. Thanks to the inspiration, i have been making lots of simple cakes for the children, and jelly, biscuits etc. I feel now that they are getting half decent extras, without the sugar or expense!!

See you in Feb!
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts