PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• dazzle21
    dazzle21 Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to declare at £218 for Jan £38 over budget mainly as i have stinking flu (again!) and o/h is poorly to so we've had to buy easy baby food and lots of tissues as well as some bits to just stick in the oven as i have run the freezer down because it needs defrosting!! i'm quite pleased with the result, as it is a massive improvement on last years pre-gc days! i'm going to sit and write a shopping list for Feb so will hopefully come in under budget and put some money in the bills jar! ;)
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Is anybody out there? Ooooh Mrs McC. it's getting very quiet on here. PLEASE CAN I DECLARE FOR JANUARY AT £123.88p. :j
    Just and only just under budget by 12p and nothing is going to make me part with that before Saturday. I've even threatened DH with newspaper squares tied up on a piece of string for the loo:rotfl: sorry, only joking!
    I'm soooooo thrilled because I know, I would have normally spent around £165 for the month. So just hoping I can keep it up for February. I won't be starting on my Feb. budget until Saturday and then DH will have to keep reins on me...:j ..:j ..:j
    Well done everyone:A
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • PennyGrabber
    Options
    It is a tad quiet on here, isn't it?!

I went to Mr T yesterday, with only a few things on my list, but this GC is a bit like a diet for me. When I'm on a diet (which I am now, lost 5lbs so far), the only thing I can think about is food. Being on the GC, the only thing I can think about is shopping!!
    I spent £34 ish (exact update on sig), on random stuff that will be useful but wasn't on the menu plan - will have to change that! Not too bad really, until I realise that I put myself down for £80 because that's all I have!!!
    I do have everything I need except f and v, so hopefully I won't need to shop again, but it's just so tempting! Am I alone in this? Argh!!!!!!!!!

Rant over! The good news is that I had a letter from my mortgage people and my monthly payments are going doen by another £45! I'm going to put this extra money towards paying off CC, then OD, then overpaying the mortgage. Although it's not a huge sum, it does represent over half of my GC allowance, so that's loads in my book! Also, it's actually worth more than that. as it'll reduce my interest payments. BONUS!

Sorry for rambling - it's too quiet here now!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Im still here for a couple of days and about to update my sig again. Went to Mr M yesterday as I was passing-just to buy baked beans and clementines!
    Every time Im near I shall buy the 4 packs of baked beans Im allowed. Also went in the pound shop and got 40 plactic plates for the cat food(I hate plates with cat food on)altho I generally use any takeaway carton possible. As Ive been good tho Ive got little in the way of plastic trays. Darn it-I really should have kept the margarine tubs Ive just thought!!! I also bought a zebra striped dustpan and brush for the crumbs on the table-the pattern is handy as we cannot mistake it! Fed up keep shaking out the cloth and removing everything from the table. Must remember to renew library books tomorrow or they will cost me and it would be nice to get to the pool for a swim-already paid for-either with my free swim voucher-or with the card I bought last year. NSD today. Tomorrow evening Im off to the theatre but it was paid for last year and free lift there and back with my neighbour. So-somehow or other Ive managed to go out without spending. Got a new batmat in the sale at work but it was with my company vouchers so again-free.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • MoneyQueen
    Options
    Hi, Can I declare January at £109.54... This exceeds my January budget by £9.54 :eek:... So I have decided to do better in February..

I have set an annual budget of £1000 and then set a monthly budget out of that every month so as to balance months when we buy most of the staples. eg 20 kg of Tilda rice for £23.98

Does anyone else does like this?

so out of £1000, we have spent £109.54 and have kept a budget of £80 for February
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've updated my sig from my spend yesterday, got two packs of bagels, reduced to 60p, then at the checkout they came up as a BOGOF. Also got yellow stickered part baked baguettes, so stuck them in the freezer, along with the now sliced bagels (perfect for toasting). Tomorrow will need to buy sugar, as I've none left, and possibly a tin of tomatoes to bulk out a sheperds pie for Saturdays dinner (already have lentils and oats and carrots).
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't declared for January yet; so far I'm under budget but .....if my sis is well enough to take us shopping this week I may go over, and quite seriously :o as I want to replace things I've used from my store cupboard. I've been relying on that for the last few weeks as haven't been able to shop much.

if you've kept in or near budget :T and if you've gone over, remember February is a whole shiny new month ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My spd and pushing a heavy trolly just dont go together anymore....

Ouch mummy2mygirls.:eek: You have my sympathy :grouphug:. Not pleasant at all! I hope it goes away afterwards.

Thanks OrkneyStar. I'll go over to ours as soon as I have a boy available:D
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    It's nearly the end and I'm getting close to going over - but only a couple of days, just have to keep out of the shops.:D

I do have to go to asda tonight to pick up DD fron work but I an determined to resist temptation.

I will be posting on Saturday with my final figures so see you all then.
  • isthatreduced
    Options
    Hi,I would like to Declare £118.37 for January ,Thank you all.

Haven't really being paying attention this month as I am rather sick of trying to come up with meals for my DD to eat :eek: ,rather a frustrating month and it's really getting me down.

I will eat most things and she will only eat a few,meat,two vegtables (carrots and peas) and two fruits(melon and grapes),I only buy melons when the price comes down,and grapes are £3.98 a kilo :eek:

I start work on the 9th and it's shifts and I need to get organised.
    I could batch cook loads of stuff ,but it would only be me that eats it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure