The 'complete this challenge' challenge...suitable for all!

edited 13 June 2009 at 5:42PM in Debt Free Diaries
1.2K replies 66.3K views

Replies

• *Mari**Mari* Forumite
    473 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Can I join too please?? I have been lurking on your thread, but think I need to be brave and jump on board!!

Ok so my challenges are

1. Pay off rest of my debts by August, then start saving properly
    2. Keep spending diary
    3. Menu plan and stick to it
    4. Not drink or buy alcohol in January
    5. De-clutter house
    6. Decorate living room
    7. Keep up the NSD's
    8. Start runnig again and shift the stone and a half I've put on since I stopped!!

That will do for now I think!! So off to start rummaging in cupboards for menu plan, hoping not to go shoppin til next week at least.

Mari
  • mickey_mousemickey_mouse Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    goooooooooood Morning :D

Panda I adore my Wii Fit - just unlocked the boxing level today which was the level i was looking forward to :D Did 45 minutes on the Wii Fit this morning.

Off into Southampton now -will try not to buy anything much from the sales but i have to go into town anyway.

have a good day
    Use up toiletries in 2020. 88
    Make £2020 in 2020. No 85. £1808.05/£2020
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pooky wrote: »
    1. Sealed pot - I don't tend to use cash much but I did get DH a sealed pot for xmas and we've dug out all the spare change/emptied purse/wallet and managed to put in just over £15......this WILL continue. Another £3 in yesterday - will stop counting now so it's more of a surprise when it's opened.

2. Empty 2 draws a week around the house and sort them properly. Ok so they weren't draws but storage boxes in the bathroom but they've been emptied, sorted, cleaned and condensed into 1.

3. Sort the filing cabinet and get shredding, using the oppertunity to sort/close any cards/accounts that have been missed.

4. Make an inventory of the bathroom cabinets and actually stop buying stuff until the rest is used. Done....I even tipped all the "hotel" freebies into one bottle so they will get used.

5. MS is a no-go for me as I don't have transport and live to far out, can't get my head around MB, daily clicks bore me to tears so need to focus on what I can do which is comping...aim to enter at least 10 a day. Only managed 5 yesterday.

6. Ebay/freecycle at least 10 items a month to clear clutter. Started a "freecycle" box - when it's full I'll list it all....currently about 30 kids books and a couple of board games.

7. Aim to shave £10 per week off the food budget. Have set my budget at £50 per week, have meal planned for the 39 days I need to include and only need to find main meal items for 4 days which is huge help, means I can stock up on store cupboard items and not go over budget.

DH is taking DD1 to town to open a new savings account today so I shall resist the urge to go and wander round the shops aimlessly and concentrate my efforts on taking down the tree and adding to the Freecycle box the decorations we've not used for a few years (I'll use that as my "draw emptying" part of the challenge, even tho they're in a box (it's not cheating honest!)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • MudbathMudbath Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    I need to stop reading this thread as I keep adding to my list!!! This time i'm borrowing from Penguin to add pay off our interest free credit card asap. So my list now reads -

1) Decorate the children's bedrooms (borrowed this one from see78)
    2) Research 10 year fixed deal for mortgage to pay it all off
    3) Start buying for christmas 2009 straight away and WRAP AS I BUY!!!
    4) Don't buy any presents at full price
    5) Write down all presents I buy and who they're for
    6) Get a new bank account for when we leave the one account
    7) Stick to the budget every month
    8) Do as much of my 2008-2009 tax return by the end of January
    9) Do homework for course by 14th January (due at the end of the month)
    10) Complete coursework for hospice care diploma
    11) Pay off 0% credit card before April - [strike]£1350[/strike] [STRIKE]£1325[/STRIKE] £1275 still on it.

I've got a christmas cheque for £25 so i'm paying that off the card. I've written down all my birthday / christmas money that i've paid off the card and once we're out of debt and have the new mortgage set up then i'll take the gifted money back and buy myself something nice.
  • Lemon_TreeLemon_Tree Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another one for not keeping up with challenges, so i'd love to be able to join you if possible.
    My challenges to start with are:
    1. Always have a shiney sink and clear sides in the kitchen when i head to bed
    2. Apply for my professional 'letters' from my back pay
    3. Declutter the bedroom, and get it decorated
    4. Go back on the use it up challenge (the only one i really managed with any success)
    5. Declutter the kitchen, get new cupboard put up and decorate it
    6. Declutter the living room and finish decorating it
    7. Find out about piano lessons and have one per month.
  • Todays list:
    1. Package and post ebay parcel
    2. Cancel 2 lots of home insurance due to renew automatically today
    3. Arrange insurance to replace both of the above
    4. Ring Sky about commencement of phone service
    5. Ring around builders merchants and order some bricks if available
    6. Swop gas and electric to get Quidco
    7. Fill in and post HSA claim form (from October!)
    8. Get DH to ring Dixons to cancel that TV
    9. Tidy as much house as possible
    10. Update this thread for new joiners!
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Panda you may be talking to my son when you ring Sky as that is his job and the call centre based in Portsmouth covers the whole of the UK:D
  • I usually seem to get through to someone in Livingston, but if it's someone with a southern accent and the right name, I'll ask if his mum's a mouse!
    pandapaws wrote: »
    Todays list:
    1. [strike] Package and post ebay parcel[/strike] Done
    2. [strike]Cancel 2 lots of home insurance due to renew automatically today[/strike] Just in time!
    3. [strike] Arrange insurance to replace both of the above[/strike] Both done through Topcashback with Asda separaetly, £68 cashback on each, on policies costing £80 and £118. Happy with that!
    4. Ring Sky about commencement of phone service
    5. [strike]Ring around builders merchants and order some bricks if available[/strike] Got bargain deal of £20 sqm, which is 50% less than original quote.
    6. [STRIKE]Swop gas and electric to get Quidco[/STRIKE]For the first time ever I'm already on the cheapest tarriff so nothing to gain but an hour wasted on uswitch. :mad:
    7. [strike]Fill in [/strike]and post HSA claim form (from October!) Done but forgot to take to the PO.
    8. Get DH to ring Dixons to cancel that TV
    9. Tidy as much house as possible
    10. [strike] Update this thread for new joiners! [/strike]Doing it now
    and to add to the list:

11. [strike]Go to builders merchants to order and pay for bricks[/strike]
    12. [strike]Sell car, people due any minute to buy it[/strike]Gone, £200 in the pot and one very happy couple with a new (old) car.
    13. [strike]Work at 5 - nearly forgot about that. [/strike]Here now
    14. [strike]EAT! I'm starving and 2 Quality Street toffees doesn't count as breakfast.[/strike] Had some McDinner in the end on the way to the Build Centre :o But won't need to eat again today.
    15. [STRIKE]Update sig with revised totals after mega money sort out last night.[/STRIKE]
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    :rotfl: at you asking Ian if his Mum is a mouse- he will think you are nuts.

well done on selling your car:beer: .

just bribed Mr Mouse to go and wash my car - he wants to do his anyway:D
  • How's y'all doing? I want to be at home getting on with things but instead I'm sitting here at work doing nothing. I should use this time to do the things on the list that I can do on the computer...in fact I will! I'll start by researching the utility switch for some TopCashBack.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals